The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keeperlit

screenexile

People going mental on Twitter about Best and Henderson attending the trial yesterday talking of Best being stripped of the captaincy etc.

Is it just me or is that mental? Are you not allowed to support your friends now? Attendance at a trial is hardly condoning rape.

Hound

Quote from: screenexile on February 01, 2018, 09:20:31 AM
People going mental on Twitter about Best and Henderson attending the trial yesterday talking of Best being stripped of the captaincy etc.

Is it just me or is that mental? Are you not allowed to support your friends now? Attendance at a trial is hardly condoning rape.

You're dead right. Reaction is totally mental, yet completely predictable where the Syferuses of the world are so prominent in social media. You have to support your friends where they claim innocence and there is doubt, but very surprised JoeS/IRFU didnt take it out of their hands and forbid them from attending

screenexile

Quote from: Hound on February 01, 2018, 12:19:07 PM

You're dead right. Reaction is totally mental, yet completely predictable where the Syferuses of the world are so prominent in social media. You have to support your friends where they claim innocence and there is doubt, but very surprised JoeS/IRFU didnt take it out of their hands and forbid them from attending

I can't imagine the IRFU knew anything about them attending I'm sure they would have wanted to avoid the headache that was inevitable from this happening.

Maroon Manc

Any hope of Ireland winning a grand slam?

square_ball

Quote from: screenexile on February 01, 2018, 12:27:42 PM

I can't imagine the IRFU knew anything about them attending I'm sure they would have wanted to avoid the headache that was inevitable from this happening.

I'd say they would have been aware of it as they'd be in camp for the match this weekend. Probably unneeded attention for them. Social media over the top as usual but IRFU should just have nipped it in the bud and stopped them attending.

seafoid

Rape trials are usually polarising. Most of the Twitter activity is from women.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

They shouldn't have been there in my opinion. IRFU mostly to blame, clueless as usual.

Estimator

It was reported that Gilroy and a few of the Ulster backroom team were there the previous day. So it could be some sort of rotational attendance to make sure that there are a few lads from Ulster in the gallery everyday.
Ulster League Champions 2009

AZOffaly

Quote from: Estimator on February 01, 2018, 01:17:50 PM
It was reported that Gilroy and a few of the Ulster backroom team were there the previous day. So it could be some sort of rotational attendance to make sure that there are a few lads from Ulster in the gallery everyday.

Why would that be? I can understand friends wanting to lend support, especially if they think they are innocent,but why would Ulster Rugby feel the need to do that?

Dinny Breen

Ireland (v France)

15. Rob Kearney
14. Keith Earls
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best (captain)
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. James Ryan
5. Iain Henderson
6. Peter O'Mahony
7. Josh van der Flier
8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin
17. Jack McGrath
18. John Ryan
19. Devin Toner
20. Dan Leavy
21. Luke McGrath
22. Joey Carbery
23. Fergus McFadden
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Good looking team, hard to quibble with any selection maybe James Ryan over Toner and Luke McGrath over Marmion. Also McFadden on the bench is probably a reward for form but I think someone like Lamour should have been there for experience.

Ireland by 8
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 01, 2018, 12:33:39 PM
Any hope of Ireland winning a grand slam?

Every hope, win Saturday and they then have 3 at home on the trot. Could be bringing serious momenteum to Twickenham.
#newbridgeornowhere

NAG1

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 01, 2018, 01:28:01 PM
Quote from: Estimator on February 01, 2018, 01:17:50 PM

Why would that be? I can understand friends wanting to lend support, especially if they think they are innocent,but why would Ulster Rugby feel the need to do that?

Think there is a clear distinction to be made here from what 'Ulster Rugby' think and do and what individual players and members of staff are doing.

To me this looks like team-mates rallying around but if the verdict goes against them, I think it will be a choice that most if not all of them will regret.

For IRFU's part I'd say they probably didnt know anything about and would want to distance themselves from the trial completely so issuing a banning order would have created the opposite of this.

Walter Cronc

Pictures of the 'apparent girl' involved in this doing the rounds now. Wrong on all accounts that!