building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: giveherlong on February 25, 2020, 01:15:21 PM
Quote from: clarshack on February 25, 2020, 12:47:19 PM
anybody here used insulated pre-cast slabs. how does the insulation compare to traditional floor insulation?

Would depend on your heating system
Are you going underfloor? If so I wouldn't go near them as you would want the heat to immediately deflect upwards into your screed acting as thermal mass rather than heating extra concrete for no real reason?(you would be wasting energy heating the slab and have a slower response time)
Go with traditional pre stressed or precast. Get them to seal the cores. McGarritys or Spanwright would been keen
Put down your floor insulation and clip your UFH heating pipes to the insulation

I ended up with 75mm of insulation below my UFH.

The newer screeds only need to be 50mm deep rather than the 100mm for a standard concrete screed..

redzone

Anyone clean a k rend house with hydrochloric acid put on with a back sprayer. If so what ratio. Cheers

WT4E

Does anyone know of a good forum for questions re self build - I use boards.ie as well as this for discussion but here is more the GAA talk and boards tends to be alot of the southern lads which means different building regs and costs. I would need more opinions from the wee six on this. :)

clarshack

There's a fb group called 'SelfBuilders & Home Improvers Ireland' which can be useful.

clarshack

Quote from: johnnycool on February 26, 2020, 01:31:05 PM
anybody here used insulated pre-cast slabs. how does the insulation compare to traditional floor insulation?

Are you going underfloor? If so I wouldn't go near them as you would want the heat to immediately deflect upwards into your screed acting as thermal mass rather than heating extra concrete for no real reason?(you would be wasting energy heating the slab and have a slower response time)
Go with traditional pre stressed or precast. Get them to seal the cores. McGarritys or Spanwright would been keen
Put down your floor insulation and clip your UFH heating pipes to the insulation

The newer screeds only need to be 50mm deep rather than the 100mm for a standard concrete screed..

How much more expensive per square metre would 50mm liquid screed roughly be compared to 100mm standard screed?

Tony Baloney

Any of these magic cleaners suitable for concrete coping stones?

redzone

I use the hypochlorite on the window cills and copings. Give it a good soaking first
50=50 I put it on but I seen someone else say 3=1 on here
It worked the best on the k rend

johnnycool

Quote from: clarshack on April 22, 2020, 11:31:20 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 26, 2020, 01:31:05 PM

How much more expensive per square metre would 50mm liquid screed roughly be compared to 100mm standard screed?
God, it was 10 years ago I did it. Back then it was probably an additional £1.5K for the whole house and even then I had to standard screed three wet room floors as you obviously can't get a fall in the RTU screed I used as it's like water going in.

giveherlong

andoireabu

Is there any issue with moving a water tank in the attic from the middle of the attic into the eaves?  Our tank takes up a lot of the usable floor space so I was looking at moving it out of the way.  The plumber says it can be done and I spoke with a joiner who said as long as it is supported off the wall plate, it would be fine.  Just wondering if anyone here has done the same?

Our attic has a standard truss layout as shown in B. 2.5 on page 152 of the following link

https://www.woodspec.ie/docs/Woodspec%20Final%20-%20Section%20B.pdf
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

clarshack

What would you expect to pay for the erection and dismantling of scaffolding and per week hire? Mid ulster area.

Milltown Row2

A friend of mine is have a sun room extension done 3x3m that way he doesn't needed planning permission apparently, 14,000 and he's doing the wiring himself and family doing the plumbing. I'd imagine one radiator and lighting and a socket or two required for that space.

Would it cost that much if you did all the donkey work? Foundations sourced the materials, paying a bricky to take it to roof level and a joiner for the his end and so on?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clarshack

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 11, 2020, 10:06:00 AM
A friend of mine is have a sun room extension done 3x3m that way he doesn't needed planning permission apparently, 14,000 and he's doing the wiring himself and family doing the plumbing. I'd imagine one radiator and lighting and a socket or two required for that space.

Would it cost that much if you did all the donkey work? Foundations sourced the materials, paying a bricky to take it to roof level and a joiner for the his end and so on?

built an extension in 2016, size was 4.3 x 3.2m cost was £18k but we had to pile the foundations at a cost of 3k. we had very little plumbing to do as well, think the labour to connect the radiator up was about £120.

illdecide

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 11, 2020, 10:06:00 AM

Don't know the in's and out's of planning but i was always under the impression any permanent structure that extrudes from the dwelling that was not part of the original planning would need permission. Unless there are special rules for sun rooms (genuinely not sure)
If you were doing your own foundations would you be competent enough to know how far down to dig and what type of foundations to use? Not being a d**k here just asking.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Quote from: andoireabu on May 06, 2020, 11:15:31 AM
Is there any issue with moving a water tank in the attic from the middle of the attic into the eaves?  Our tank takes up a lot of the usable floor space so I was looking at moving it out of the way.  The plumber says it can be done and I spoke with a joiner who said as long as it is supported off the wall plate, it would be fine.  Just wondering if anyone here has done the same?

Our attic has a standard truss layout as shown in B. 2.5 on page 152 of the following link

https://www.woodspec.ie/docs/Woodspec%20Final%20-%20Section%20B.pdf

Be careful with this...will the plumber or joiner stand over it if anything structurally went wrong? There is some weight in that tank when full (prob about 10kn), it's a great idea to move it as they do take up some space but i'd be looking at advice from a Structural Engineer first. Is there not an easier way? Can you not get a pressure system in instead of open vented (prob work out cheaper too, ask your plumber to look at that for you and get a costing of him)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch