Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 19, 2014, 02:09:29 PM
Sean Cavanagh had plenty to say in 03, 05 and 08 in the media and I don't remember it doing much harm to Tyrone. People in Tyrone are the hardest to listen to defeat and use it as an excuse to give out abuse all round to people who have did a lot for the county over the years.

Tell us this Santa what way do you think Hunky Dorys view the self imposed RTE media ban. Do you think they are getting value for money ?

EC Unique

I think the next time you see Tyrone management/players talking to RTE will be when there is different management in place.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: EC Unique on June 19, 2014, 02:35:33 PM
I think the next time you see Tyrone management/players talking to RTE will be when there is different management in place.

Until that happens Tyrone will be the National Villans. Hunky Dorys can not be happy with that.

The Trap

Dear Redhand Santa, this is my wish list for the Tyrone management team. Please feel free to tell me if you think they are doing any of these to an acceptable level:
1. Develop a system of play that suits the current squad
2. Improve the young talent in the squad that should be as good or better than any in the country given their record at underage level
3. Oversee a strength & conditioning program that will enable these players to meet the demands of the modern game
4. Motivate the team on match days to be at least as committed as the opposition in going for 50/50 ball
5. Unite the county behind the team
6. Manage media commitments of players to ensure that over exposure does not hinder performance
7. Enhance the reputation of the county
8. Have a succession plan in place for whenever it is time for the next management to take over

I know that there are great people in the present set up, management and players, but for one reason or another they are no longer doing their job well, or at least the parts outlined above...........

Tommo2

Quote from: The Trap on June 19, 2014, 03:37:27 PM
Dear Redhand Santa, this is my wish list for the Tyrone management team. Please feel free to tell me if you think they are doing any of these to an acceptable level:
2. Improve the young talent in the squad that should be as good or better than any in the country given their record at underage level
3. Oversee a strength & conditioning program that will enable these players to meet the demands of the modern game4. Motivate the team on match days to be at least as committed as the opposition in going for 50/50 ball
6. Manage media commitments of players to ensure that over exposure does not hinder performance
8. Have a succession plan in place for whenever it is time for the next management to take over

I know that there are great people in the present set up, management and players, but for one reason or another they are no longer doing their job well, or at least the parts outlined above...........

I understand that some of the team due not use the programme set out by the current S&C coach, but use a former Tyrone player to assist in their strength and conditioning.

God14

Hopefully that'll not be too far away EC.

EC Unique

Quote from: God14 on June 19, 2014, 04:44:02 PM

Hopefully that'll not be too far away EC.

I'm edging towards that idea myself. Fresh ideas and different approach required. I fear it may be some time before it happens though.

matchfit21

Dont see how tyrone can cry the victim and moan about not getting enough injury time when they insist on the facade  bringing their furthest most player up to kick even simple frees any forward could despatch. How much time is wasted in normal time with this silly carry on

barelegs

I don't see too many people in this thread moaning about injury time. Most of the talk is around team management/ selection and player performance. Monaghan deserved to win on Sunday, with or without the right amount of injury time

Redhand Santa

Quote from: The Trap on June 19, 2014, 03:37:27 PM
3. Oversee a strength & conditioning program that will enable these players to meet the demands of the modern game
4. Motivate the team on match days to be at least as committed as the opposition in going for 50/50 ball

There is plenty of points in there that I agree with. My issue is I feel people lose perspective and too much blame is being put on Harte's head. Barring one or two counties in Ireland everyone has cycles of doing well and then periods where they don't do well. Look at the likes of Down, Meath and Galway who have won multiple All Irelands over the decades. Even consider our own county. We had a good spell from 84 to 89 winning 3 ulster titles. Then lost in the first round 4 years in a row. Before having a few good years from 94 to 96. Then were poor enough at senior level up to 03 albeit picking up an ulster title in 01. Then a great run from 2003 to 2010.

In the poor years managers were changed but it didn't make a difference, we weren't good enough. Just like changes of managers haven't made a huge difference in Armagh, Down, Meath and Galway. People can point to Harte's tactics but perhaps part of it is the fact that we don't have the players to play another way. We don't have dominant midfielders or top class target men or top class defenders. All these problems are being put at Harte's door whereas in reality there is many factors in having good players at any one time in a county and one of them is luck.

The players have to take a degree of responsibility too. Many of our top young players haven't shown the fight or guts at the top level. People can point to them being top minors but anyone who has gone to watch the u21's in the last 7 or 8 years will know that the exact same deficiency was shown their when Harte wasn't involved. I was lead to believe he had asked to take the u21's in recent years and maybe it wouldn't have been a bad idea.

It could be argued that he has did a good job to keep us as a top 8 team consistently getting to the quarter finals through a bad spell and perhaps we would be much further away with someone else in charge. The other counties I previously mentioned would love to have had our record in recent years and have learned that a change in manager doesn't always mean a change in fortune. When our lean spell is over and the players come together at the right time I'm not sure there is a better manager in the county to deliver. Maybe a year or 2 break would help it though.

Just to clarify too I'm not saying everything Harte has done is right and I was very fustrated with Sunday's performance as I really felt the team could progress from last year with an ulster title this year but I don't think Harte should take all the blame that is being given. I also think he has earned the right to see out the championship and be judged at the end of the campaign and not before the team get knocked out.

matchfit21

Agreed. I was only making an observation on the excuses given by management in the immediate aftermath of the game. Time for a change undoubtedly. 

Redhand Santa

Harte has a few keys areas that he needs to address ahead of and during the qualifiers. If he is brave and makes the right calls and changes tactics a bit I think there could still be a decent run. We're playing too many short balls because we're scared of not being able to win ball in the middle but it's too slow and easy to defend against. If you watch Tyrone's games we're not being out caught in midfield - the issue is boys not fighting hard enough for the dirty ball. With that in mind the 2 half forward positions have to be looked at. We also need a play maker at 11. There was 3 players on the team last Sunday who looked to be too nice at this stage for county football.

We also need to offer more of threat in the full forward line. Mattie Donnelly is the obvious solution though he's also the best player coming from deep. I think maybe we're going to have to take a chance and throw him to full forward. The likes of Tierney could be an option at half back - he has struggled in the corner but gets stuck in and will offer a lot of running. Peter Harte is been too loose at times throughout the year and a game starting on the bench might not do any harm. I'd go with a team like this the next day:
Morgan
McRory
Justy
McNamee
Tierney
Gormley
PJ Lavery
Cavanagh
Cavanagh
Joe Mc (fit to tog out last week and needs games)
Coney
McNabb (was effective here at winning ball a few years ago)
McCurry
Mattie D
McAliskey

barelegs

Mattie Donnelly's been one of the few bright sparks for Tyrone this year at centre half back, I'd be loathed to move him. If I was to move him then it would be to midfield.

For me the obvious move is Sean to full forward. He's won player of the year there after all. He mightn't like it but he's the best option we've got there at the minute. He's the one player who would put the fear of God into opposing defences.

Peter Harte's another problem. He's one of the best players we've got but he plays his best football in attack. He's not a great defender in the truest sense of the word. I think 12 might be his position for now.

With Conor Clarke out though there's a big gap at midfield. Could use Joe there but he certainly won't be match fit for a while

omagh_gael

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/2/1906140929-no-regrets-from-cavanagh-over-late-free/

In this article today Sean mentions Joe as being aj option during the qualifiers, he mustn't be too far off making a return.

rrhf

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 19, 2014, 02:09:29 PM
Sean Cavanagh had plenty to say in 03, 05 and 08 in the media and I don't remember it doing much harm to Tyrone. People in Tyrone are the hardest to listen to defeat and use it as an excuse to give out abuse all round to people who have did a lot for the county over the years.
I agree but there is a  take on it that is different. Some people now think brolly is a puppet for someone higher up in rte.. how dare mic key harte stand up to the national broadcaster. There is a concerted effort on to destabilise Tyrone football a bias by Rte and it's henchmen round the table. I think it's time to support mic key not row in with Rte and the joes of this world.