COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment

Started by From the Bunker, April 08, 2020, 02:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2020, 10:56:24 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 08, 2020, 10:15:23 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2020, 10:01:53 PM
That's not what you said in your opening post though, is it? You said you wanted a tax break because you haven't been laid off.

Yes that too!

Why not?

What problem do you have with that?

Through default I had no choice but to work in a risky environment.

Do you see us as just people that can be used during all of this and used again after?

As I said I have no problem with people getting the €350. It was in general the right thing to do. Most will return to work rested and recharged with that financial help.

But there has to be a loop in responsibilities!

Because I understand how a progressive taxation system works.

The times you've been on the dole and sick in hospital - when can I expect my refund from you? I mean I was working and paying my taxes and you weren't, so what do I get?

What is you work circumstance during all of this?

Milltown Row2

I'd love a rebate on what I pay in taxes and what I've actually got in return for that.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ardtole

I'd rather be at work, it's a horrible time to be off. I generally work very long hours and when I do have time off I like to make the most off it. But I cant take the kids to Tayto park or the cinema, cant go for a pint in the evening or watch a match at the wknd, golf courses etc are closed.

You cant even buy paint to do a bit of work around the house, if anything its frustrating being off. The 350/week doesn't cover my weekly outgoings, I'd much rather take my time off when it suits me rather than have it forced upon me, I've money put away so il not be struggling but to suggest everyone is just sitting at home chilling having the crack is a bit ott.

gallsman

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 08, 2020, 11:06:41 PM
That's not what you said in your opening post though, is it? You said you wanted a tax break because you haven't been laid off.

Yes that too!

Why not?

Do you see us as just people that can be used during all of this and used again after?

As I said I have no problem with people getting the €350. It was in general the right thing to do. Most will return to work rested and recharged with that financial help.

The times you've been on the dole and sick in hospital - when can I expect my refund from you? I mean I was working and paying my taxes and you weren't, so what do I get?

I work full time, in what would be considered by any reasonable middle class standard a well paid job and have just illegally been told I must use up 5 days of annual leave by my employer as they're terrified that nobody has used any this year and they'd face a glut of holidays over the summer.

From the Bunker

Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2020, 11:25:36 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 08, 2020, 11:06:41 PM

Yes that too!

Why not?

I work full time, in what would be considered by any reasonable middle class standard a well paid job and have just illegally been told I must use up 5 days of annual leave by my employer as they're terrified that nobody has used any this year and they'd face a glut of holidays over the summer.

Ah you'll be ok, Holidays at any time this year will be Sh1te! We have the same problem in our work place.

When all this is over the rested will leave their caves. They will decide that the people who kept the show on the road deserved a ''Round of Applause''. It will be all over Facebook, Twitter and the News.

It will have to be done to give them (the rested) their feel good moment! To show their appreciation.

Weren't they all great and weren't we all great to stay at home resting.

Now lets extra tax them on all those extra earnings they had over the 12 weeks.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Quote from: Rossfan on April 09, 2020, 12:01:57 AM
Anomoly?
https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0408/1129437-northern-ireland-workers/

If they're paying their PAYE, PRSI and USC here....
Residence is the key part. The UK tax system is still their primary, albeit they'll get credit there for the Irish tax paid, so will probably pay little/no UK tax. You can choose whether to pay Irish PRSI or the UK equivalent, although I think if you're working for more than 5 years in Ireland then you're into full Irish PRSI.

If you're unemployed it makes absolute sense that it's country of residence that looks after you.

The wage subsidy scheme would not differentiate between residents north/south. 

Hound

Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2020, 11:25:36 PM

I just heard of a reasonably sized accounting firm in Dublin doing the same. I have no idea of the legalities of it but I would have assumed it wasn't illegal. Are there not many construction firms who insist their employees take their hols in August?

illdecide

The company i work for in Belfast has told everyone they must use up all annual leave, our year is from 1st May to 30th April, a lot of people were looking to carry leave over to next year but not have to use them. Basically a lot of people are off for most of April when you factor in Easter holidays too, I had 6 days leave left and tbh was looking to carry 5 across but considering the circumstances i'm happy enough to use them up if it leads to no job cuts or other matters...Small price to pay considering the times.

The worst thing though is you've to take your holidays off to sit in the house...that is the disaster.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rossfan

There will be nobody going very far  for the rest of 2020 anyway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tiempo

Hasnt the Brit government made carryover a statutory entitlement?

My works daily update email yesterday states

Following the Government guideline on carryover of statutory holiday entitlement the HR Team are working on a process and communication for XXX to help us understand the conditions of holiday carryover from 2020 into subsequent years.  We are intending to communicate on this after the Easter break.

Guideline though...

At the end of the day if you feel the company are taking liberties given what you think you may know then seek expert advice, sometimes not that readily available on here but if anyone ends up any the wiser throw it in, it should become clear enough in time, hopefully before people are strong-armed into taking holidays

Though as also stated perhaps a small price to pay to ensure you have a job to go back to

Can see it from both sides to some extent

pbat

I live in the North work and stamp my card in the south, I only started early this year. We are at home since 27th March, we were told to take holidays for the 1st week if you had any but I had none accrued yet. Anyone with none was told they would receive payment to an amount equivalent to the support received from the government. Today is payday for the 1st week off a and I received nothing.

I queried this with HR and got an email to state I did not qualify for the payment through the payroll and contact the social security office and claim benefit. I wont be entitled to the 350 euro as I live in the North. Anyone know is there any reasons you do not qualify for the 70% payments the Irish Government have set aside.

gallsman

Quote from: tiempo on April 09, 2020, 12:50:58 PM

Though as also stated perhaps a small price to pay to ensure you have a job to go back to

Can see it from both sides to some extent

This is the key. I don't want to have to use up 5 days in April where I've to sit on my arse like any other weekend day at the minute, but if it helps company survive to enable me to continue to have a job in future, then I'll gladly do it.

I'd be wary of company's abusing their position but I'm not some mad communist where I'd argue my rights as a worker to the ends of the earth and then discover afterwards that the company went under.

Rudi

andoireabu

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 08, 2020, 08:50:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 08, 2020, 07:23:51 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 08, 2020, 07:11:17 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2020, 02:55:07 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 08, 2020, 02:17:52 PM
No not a Fine Gaeler! Just I've been working the last 2/3/4 weeks. Meanwhile my neighbours have been chilling, binge watching Netflix, sleeping in, resting, keeping comfortably up with Kids homework, tidying around the house.

Meanwhile I've been facing the public every day. Getting the same money and probably getting extra duties to my work.

Have you ever been out of work? Ever claimed the dole? Ever been sick? Ever used a hospital?

They've been "chilling, binge watching Netflix, sleeping in, resting, keeping comfortably up with Kids homework, tidying around the house." because they have been told to do so by their government to best protect public health which, you may not have realised, impacts you. Many of them will not have jobs to go back to when this is all over.

Yes, I've been out of work! Yes, I've claimed the dole! Yes I have been sick and in Hospital. And understand that there has to be a 'down on you luck' and it's great to have backup from the state.

I understand many will not go back to jobs. But a vast majority will. Most Shop assistants are on little more than €350 a week already when they take into a/c costs and taxes for doing a days work. Most would have been far better off if they had the choice to sit and chill and collect their €350. Not to mention the risks they take going to work and can bring back to their family!

Is that 350 take home?

Yes!

Heard on the radio today that this is taxable but that employers aren't putting it through properly so people are likely to have a tax bill at the end of this
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!