Munster Football Championships 2018

Started by Ball Hopper, April 11, 2018, 02:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Results

Kerry 1-15 Tipp 0-4
Cork 4-20 Waterford 0-5
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Ball Hopper

Kerry v Cork in Munster minor semi-final.  Loser of that is done for the year.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 11, 2018, 08:44:13 PM

Not necessarily the case that Kerry and Cork meet. Limerick playing Tipp in a playoff and if they win, they cannot face Clare again so Clare/Limerick and Cork/Kerry will have to be redrawn for the semi finals.

Bit of a nuts system. The Cork v Waterford game the other night for example is utterly pointless and did nothing for either team or development of football in either county.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Rossfan

Connacht is a Round Robin top 2 meet in the Final. Other 3 play for a Shield.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on April 13, 2018, 06:05:54 AM

Not necessarily the case that Kerry and Cork meet. Limerick playing Tipp in a playoff and if they win, they cannot face Clare again so Clare/Limerick and Cork/Kerry will have to be redrawn for the semi finals.

Bit of a nuts system. The Cork v Waterford game the other night for example is utterly pointless and did nothing for either team or development of football in either county.

And yet if Tipp beat Limerick, they'll face Waterford for a chance to play Clare in a semi final. So you get a right tonking off Kerry, and then have a back door route through Limerick, Waterford and Clare, whereas poor Cork and Kerry's reward for winning is a straight knockout against each other. Mental.

*disclaimer, I am in no way assuming that Tipp will win those 3 games. This is not a very strong Tipp minor side.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2018, 09:47:25 AM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on April 13, 2018, 06:05:54 AM

And yet if Tipp beat Limerick, they'll face Waterford for a chance to play Clare in a semi final. So you get a right tonking off Kerry, and then have a back door route through Limerick, Waterford and Clare, whereas poor Cork and Kerry's reward for winning is a straight knockout against each other. Mental.

*disclaimer, I am in no way assuming that Tipp will win those 3 games. This is not a very strong Tipp minor side.

Kerry will walk Munster tbh, and that's not bias talking. There's nobody getting near them based on seeing the players involved at u16. Cork are weak enough at this grade also.
The whole system is a mess though.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

AZOffaly

I think you're right. Certainly from what I've seen, Tipp will be a little closer next year, and should be competitive the year after, but Kerry have been far ahead in most of the development squads for the last 4 or 5 years.

Rossfan

I see Liam Kearns isn't too happy with the Munster Council re arranging the SFC. Tipp will have their Semi v Cork 7 days after their Qtr Final.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on April 13, 2018, 11:58:36 AM
I see Liam KeArnside isn't too happy with the Munster Council re arranging the SFC. Tipp will have their Semi v Cork 7 days after their Qtr Final.

Yeah, but to be fair, if they can get over Waterford sans injury, they'll have a bit of momentum. Cork will be undercooked.

tippabu

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2018, 12:26:49 PM
I see Liam KeArnside isn't too happy with the Munster Council re arranging the SFC. Tipp will have their Semi v Cork 7 days after their Qtr Final.

Yeah, but to be fair, if they can get over Waterford sans injury, they'll have a bit of momentum. Cork will be undercooked.

If we had the two week break like we should have had then cork would still be undercooked and we'd have time to get rid of any knocks and concentrate 100% on cork.

AZOffaly

Quote from: tippabu on April 13, 2018, 12:53:06 PM

If we had the two week break like we should have had then cork would still be undercooked and we'd have time to get rid of any knocks and concentrate 100% on cork.

1 week is loads of time to concentrate on Cork. I guarantee you they're concentrating on Cork since the draw was made. As for knocks, yes there is that, but that's why I said 'sans injury'.

tippabu

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2018, 12:54:49 PM
Quote from: tippabu on April 13, 2018, 12:53:06 PM

1 week is loads of time to concentrate on Cork. I guarantee you they're concentrating on Cork since the draw was made. As for knocks, yes there is that, but that's why I said 'sans injury'.

And that reason alone should be enough to give us an appropriate time between games like every other county gets. Baring replays when would the last time any county in provincial championship played two games in 1 week? Maybe it's more common than I think? Does it happen in the early rounds of Leinster  (genuine question).

Cork match is what will probably define our year, win and we are 1 game away from super 8's and in a Munster final, lose and we've the 3 rounds of qualifiers to get through.

AZOffaly

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on April 13, 2018, 09:44:21 AM
Connacht is a Round Robin top 2 meet in the Final. Other 3 play for a Shield.
Will be interesting to see how that goes. More games for all teams is good for that grade but i see Leitrim have already voiced their opinion saying its a system that favours the counties with a bigger pick.

Rossfan

Doesn't the entire system?
It's not as if Leitrim won 20% of Connacht Minor titles.