The Mayo "firm"

Started by dubnut, April 14, 2007, 01:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubnut

I had the pleasure of sitting next to these in Castlebar, all about 17 yrs old  of course, and about 15-20 of them in total.
Big fans of the old soccer chants, "you fell over" and "you ate all the pies" etc, with of course "f**k the dubs" etc.
The proper Mayo fans behind them looked well embarrassed!  :D :D :D :D :D :D

This is from their "bebo" profile posted on reservoir dubs...

"We're the Cults, the so-far small Mayo Firm, soon to be big. Look at the page before matches to see where everyone will meet. Add as friend to join. No girls or anyone under 16 aloud. This is a "firm" for anyone who wants to support mayo as a large organised group, sing chants and songs on the terraces, and bring the missing element of fan rivalry to GAA matches.

Next Match: League semi-final

Meh, dont think theres much gonna happen at it, we'l save ourselves for the championships.

McHale Park
We always stand dierctly behind the goal at the Albany end, which was crawling with Dublin scum a few weeks ago, which will never happen again if we make the Albany end Mayo-only.

Happiest When
Seeing Mayo win, and seeing dublin skangers get battered by pigs in McHale park, classic.

How to Dress
Unlike traditional firms, we wear the mayo jersey. Wear a scarf, baseball cap or anything like that, so if theres any trouble people cant name ya.

Our Name
We'r called "The Cults" derived from the derrogatory term cultchies, also meaning a large organised group. But dont worry, no mass-suicides!"

I shit you not  :o

corn02

ziggysego

The Cults? Are you sure it isn't a spelling mistake?
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

If anyone needed a good kicking...
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Bomber2312

Absolutely ridiculous, how has thug culture become so appealing to young people? how could anyone think this is cool?

westmayo

What a bunch of idiots, "bring the missing element of fan rivalry to GAA matches."  (That's what's missing from GAA games)
A bunch of kids giving fans a bad name.

GalwayBayBoy

Some Mayo casuals pictured today ;D

DJGaliv

Quote from: westmayo on April 14, 2007, 02:07:45 PM
What a bunch of idiots, "bring the missing element of fan rivalry to GAA matches."  (That's what's missing from GAA games)

Just from reading what's written, all they appear to be doing is creating a bit of an atmosphere at games. There's no harm in having lads singing during a game. Unless of course they are young lads singing soccer chants like "you fell over", then we should castigate them, obviously. ::)

I'm just wondering where the thug culture reference is coming from?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: DJGaliv on April 14, 2007, 02:27:51 PM

Just from reading what's written, all they appear to be doing is creating a bit of an atmosphere at games. There's no harm in having lads singing during a game. Unless of course they are young lads singing soccer chants like "you fell over", then we should castigate them, obviously. ::)

Would you read the bebo profile, is that what we want in the GAA? 

Unlike traditional firms, we wear the mayo jersey. Wear a scarf, baseball cap or anything like that, so if theres any trouble people cant name ya.
Yes, clearly only interesting in harmless chanting.

Armagh4SamAgain

We should all read where there goin to meet an then turn up and kick the shit outa them. Im up for it.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

DJGaliv

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 14, 2007, 02:33:26 PM
Quote from: DJGaliv on April 14, 2007, 02:27:51 PM

Would you read the bebo profile, is that what we want in the GAA? 

Yes, clearly only interesting in harmless chanting.
I read the profile that dubnut has given, and just from one little quote, "if there's any trouble they can't name ya", you think they deserve a kicking? Do you honestly think a bunch of Mayo teenagers are going to start fights at a game? FFS, it's obvious they're all talk. If they add a bit of atmosphere, fair play to them.

Their mission,
"This is a "firm" for anyone who wants to support mayo as a large organised group, sing chants and songs on the terraces, and bring the missing element of fan rivalry to GAA matches." Adding a bit of rivalry is the worse thing they said. Get over it.

pintsofguinness

Yeah I do think a good kicking would do them the world of good, if they are all talk or not.  What sort of "atmosphere" do you think they'll add?  A good one?  Had you a good time sitting beside them dubnut? 
Another thing, what sort of rivalry do you think they're talking about? Are you as stupid as they are?

DJGaliv

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 14, 2007, 02:44:52 PM
Yeah I do think a good kicking would do them the world of good, if they are all talk or not.  What sort of "atmosphere" do you think they'll add?  A good one?  Had you a good time sitting beside them dubnut? 
Another thing, what sort of rivalry do you think they're talking about? Are you as stupid as they are?

Yes, I'm as stupid as they are. That's a fabulous point Pog.

What's wrong with a bit of rivalry?
Should we all just sit down and be quiet, for fear of offending anyone, and getting a good kicking from the likes of yourself?
Don't bother answering, couldn't be arsed defending Mayo fans to be honest.

ziggysego

He's one of them PoG. Get him!
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

QuoteDon't bother answering, couldn't be arsed defending Mayo fans to be honest.
Clear sign of someone who knows they're talking shite.

What's wrong with a bit of rivalry?
Should we all just sit down and be quiet, for fear of offending anyone, and getting a good kicking from the likes of yourself?
Did I say there was anything wrong with rivalry? HOwever, you want the right kind of rivalry, the type we already have in the gaa.  I don't want the type of rivalry that these tubes are trying to introduce.