Tír Eoghain vs Ciarraí

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 26, 2007, 07:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

After a welcome result in Limerick, if not as welcome a peformance, time to look forward to Saturday night a chairde (not that I'm the official thread-starter, just eager!  ;))

Unavailable
C Mc Ginley
Seán Cavanagh
Brian Mc Guigan
M Magee

The team to start (wishful)

P Mc Connell

R Mc Menamin                                                   Joe Mc Mahon                                                  D Carlin

D Harte                                                            C Gormley (if fit)                                            Justin Mc Mahon                                                   

Raymond Mulgrew                                   Kevin Hughes

B Dooher (capt)                                                 O Mulligan                                                        Ryan Mellon

O'Neill                                                               Paul Rouse                                                        Niall Gormley

Subs                          

J Curran
E Mc Ginley
C Mc Cullagh
P Jordan
D Mc Caul
M Penrose
C Cavanagh
T Mc Guigan
C Mc Carron
P Donnelly
Kelvin Hughes

Good few ifs and buts in that selection, i.e., will Mulligan be back on terms, will Mulgrew be over his flu, will Jordan be fit for the bench, etc. 
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ziggysego

How come Paul Rouse is both starting and on the sub's bench? ;)
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ziggysego on March 26, 2007, 07:44:57 PM
How come Paul Rouse is both starting and on the sub's bench? ;)

The first to spot that deliberate error, well done!  :)

Deal_Me_In

Not a bad team there Fear but i doubt if Mulligan will start, on the bench yes but MH can be a stubborn man when he wants and will probably want to prove his point (again). I think you could see O'Neill starting at CHF and McGinley in the Corner acting as a 3rd midfielder when needed

realredhandfan

It would have done no harm to see Donaghy against Tyrone, I thought he was taken out by Donega.  Anyone?

imtommygunn

Donaghy apparently out for 8 weeks with a dislocated shoulder.

It'd have been interesting to see what tactics master tactician Harte would have employed against him. I suspect Gormley dropping back to sweep up a la 2005 final against Gooch would have been his answer.

Raymoond Mulgrew looks an excellent prospect but would he really have the physical power yet to play in midfield??

He looks to have the makings of an excellent half forward but midfield??

realredhandfan

Definitely not after saturday anyway.  The lad has great potential as a half forward even no 11, he scored 3 points on Saturday.  But both him and Cavanagh came a cropper on Saturday in midfield and it was due to a lack of power so I couldnt see either being an option for the seniors in the centre zone.  Thats why I keep saying we need to get 1 midfielder and 1 back up player from Hub, Hughes and Donnelly.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on March 27, 2007, 06:01:33 AM
Not a bad team there Fear but i doubt if Mulligan will start, on the bench yes but MH can be a stubborn man when he wants and will probably want to prove his point (again). I think you could see O'Neill starting at CHF and McGinley in the Corner acting as a 3rd midfielder when needed

Agreed, if Mulligans's a non-starter I'd say you're correct there, Mc Ginley was important dropping back against Limerick and he'll be in the frame for a starting place regardless of who's available I'd imagine.

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 27, 2007, 08:19:39 AM

Raymoond Mulgrew looks an excellent prospect but would he really have the physical power yet to play in midfield??

He looks to have the makings of an excellent half forward but midfield??

True, it's a risk, especially against a midfield pairing like O'Sé and Griffin, but I could see Mellon being the 3rd midfielder here -- did some great battling and fielding against Limerick, and depending on Hughes to boss it a bit, though MH would need to be ready to change things very quickly if this wasn't working out. 

Over the Bar

If Tyrone are losing the physical battle in MF there's always Enda or Joe McMahon to throw into the mix. 

uselessfootballer

Having watched Mulgrew in midfield for the U-21s against Armagh of Saturday past, there is no way on god's earth that he would be ready to play midfield at senior level.

He was completely out muscled on Saturday and at times even seemed reluctant to put himself into ariel challanges, he was eventually moved to chf in the second half before getting the line.

The cub is a class player without a doubt but at senior level for the time being he needs to be played on the wing and not through the middle where he will get squashed

realredhandfan

Well then we'll not be complaining if we dont score then,  Do you agree we should be playing games with 4 forwards as opposed to 6. Mellon must have done alright in Limerick, if hes guaranteed his place again because hes been terrible all year.  BTW lets not forget Raymies age, Is it testament to Tyrones slump that last year everybody thought he was way too young and light whilst this year yes have him as a midfielder. Unreal.

uselessfootballer

Apols RRHF, didn't see your earlier post making the same point about the midfield in the U-21 game.

This is a game that they need to win to keep pace with the teams aiming for the top 4, so I think he needs to select more scoring forwards (Mulgrew included). Mellon and McGinley bring similar attributes to the game, regular scoring isn't one of these and starting both as forwards does limit your scoring options I would start both but have one of them in midfield with Kevin Hughes.

A score of 1-08 will achieve nothing against Kerry, the selection of the front 6 needs to reflect this. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: uselessfootballer on March 27, 2007, 09:46:25 AM
Having watched Mulgrew in midfield for the U-21s against Armagh of Saturday past, there is no way on god's earth that he would be ready to play midfield at senior level.

He was completely out muscled on Saturday and at times even seemed reluctant to put himself into ariel challanges, he was eventually moved to chf in the second half before getting the line.

The cub is a class player without a doubt but at senior level for the time being he needs to be played on the wing and not through the middle where he will get squashed

Fair enough, didn't realise he was so outmuscled on Saturday, and thought he had graduated somewhat this year from what I'd seen -- Kerry is definitely not the game in such a case. Enda will need to start, maybe Raymie on as a wing half-forward.

ONeill

P Mc Connell
McMenamin,  McMahon, Carlin
Harte, Gormley, Mc Mahon
McGinley, Kevin Hughes
Dooher, Mulgrew, Mellon
McCullagh, O'Neill, Gormley

I'd try to get some semblance of continuity in defence. If Gormley hasn't recovered I can see Donnelly drafted in somewhere maybe even at FB with McMahon at CHB.

Mulligan hopefully has the kick-up-the-arse required and could displace Gormley at corner forward. I'd try Mulgrew in the McGuigan role.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

realredhandfan

Mulgrew looks like a no 11 to me.  We need Niall Mc Ginn on aagainst Kerry.  :P