The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

If Leeds get the 15 pts back, they're promoted already I think - 5 will do to get them into play-offs safely, I'd think.

From BBC:
Leeds poised to learn points fate 

The independent tribunal to consider Leeds' 15-point deduction is set to start on Wednesday.

Leeds were docked the points by the Football League for allegedly breaking competition rules on insolvency.

But the club denied any wrongdoing and agreed to the independent arbitration hearing after initially serving the League with a High Court writ.

A three-man panel reviewing the penalty is expected to make their ruling before Leeds' trip to Millwall on 19 April.

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Mentalman

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 15, 2008, 01:51:02 PM
If Leeds get the 15 pts back, they're promoted already I think - 5 will do to get them into play-offs safely, I'd think.

From BBC:
Leeds poised to learn points fate 

The independent tribunal to consider Leeds' 15-point deduction is set to start on Wednesday.

Leeds were docked the points by the Football League for allegedly breaking competition rules on insolvency.

But the club denied any wrongdoing and agreed to the independent arbitration hearing after initially serving the League with a High Court writ.

A three-man panel reviewing the penalty is expected to make their ruling before Leeds' trip to Millwall on 19 April.

Here's hoping. I thought the punishment was completely vindictive, as it was retrospective, and against natural juctice, in that they were in fact punished twice for the same offence.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

SLIGONIAN

Firstly tomorrow is D Day, I believe we will get the 15 points back and if we beat Huddersfield tonight we are all but promoted. The hilarious thing is swansea celebrating promotion last sat when if leeds if get 15pts back tomorrow there not promoted as carlisle can still catch them. This article is from Yorkshire Evening Post. Tells all and Leeds have great chance of getting pts back, I will be glued to Sky sports news tomorrow for breaking news, could be a great week for me if leeds get promoted and Sligo can do the great escape in div3, I seen leeds against walsall and we are playing good entertaining football and 28,500 at last weekends game, very loyal fans, and the only official soccer thread on AFR is leeds:

The confidentiality clause by which Leeds United promised to solemnly abide has not prevented an air of confidence from flowing through Elland Road in anticipation of next week's arbitration tribunal.
The club agreed reluctantly to allow the hearing to proceed in private, but it does not take a talent for reading between the lines to gauge their mood.

Leeds are optimistic; optimistic to the point of expectant, and convinced that their dissection of an alleged injustice has produced a compelling argument against their 15-point penalty.

Ken Bates was not exaggerating when he said United were burrowing into every area of the Football League's rules and policy, and the 27-page claim form submitted to the High Court in February is evidence of how deeply Leeds have delved to undermine the legitimacy of their deduction.

United's appeal did not reach the judiciary but the claim submitted on February 12, and signed by their director Mark Taylor, is likely to be employed in its entirety when a panel of three convene to rule on the 15-point punishment next week.

The legal establishment's understanding of a complex case is better than ours, but it is clear that Leeds will enter the arbitrational proceedings pre-armed.

Their case against the Football League is thoughtful and detailed, the result of six months of investigating the whys and wherefores of their penalty. While not a guarantee of outright victory, it gives Leeds a credible chance.

Details of the League's defence are not on public record, but the organisation will be asked to answer some pertinent questions.

Why, for example, did the League vote against the Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) proposed by Leeds when agreeing a CVA was a fundamental part of their insolvency policy?

The body stood to be paid in full for the £188,000 they were owed, and the absence of a CVA was largely responsible for United's points deduction. The League's rejection of the arrangement put to them was "arbitrary and unfair", Leeds claim, and evidence of prejudice.

United's legal team will ask the tribunal to consider whether it is appropriate for an organisation to reject a CVA and then sanction the club in question for failing to implement it.

The motivation for the legal challenge made by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) against United's CVA is another area of fierce contention.

HMRC sought a judicial review after the voluntary arrangement was initially passed by a majority of 75.2 per cent, and their contest was the catalyst for the CVA's collapse in July. KPMG, who had drawn up the proposal, withdrew it with the insistence that Leeds lacked the funds to continue operating while the case was settled in court.

In what appears to be an attempt to distance themselves from the process of administration, Leeds will claim that the decision to complete an administrators' sale – a direct sale made without a CVA – was the responsibility of KPMG, and not the club.

Moreover, they will tell the tribunal that their bid for the club was the highest available, and the most rewarding for their unsecured creditors
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 15, 2008, 05:18:50 PM
Firstly tomorrow is D Day, I believe we will get the 15 points back and if we beat Huddersfield tonight we are all but promoted. The hilarious thing is swansea celebrating promotion last sat when if leeds if get 15pts back tomorrow there not promoted as carlisle can still catch them. This article is from Yorkshire Evening Post. Tells all and Leeds have great chance of getting pts back, I will be glued to Sky sports news tomorrow for breaking news, could be a great week for me if leeds get promoted and Sligo can do the great escape in div3, I seen leeds against walsall and we are playing good entertaining football and 28,500 at last weekends game, very loyal fans, and the only official soccer thread on AFR is leeds:

The confidentiality clause by which Leeds United promised to solemnly abide has not prevented an air of confidence from flowing through Elland Road in anticipation of next week's arbitration tribunal.
The club agreed reluctantly to allow the hearing to proceed in private, but it does not take a talent for reading between the lines to gauge their mood.

Leeds are optimistic; optimistic to the point of expectant, and convinced that their dissection of an alleged injustice has produced a compelling argument against their 15-point penalty.

Ken Bates was not exaggerating when he said United were burrowing into every area of the Football League's rules and policy, and the 27-page claim form submitted to the High Court in February is evidence of how deeply Leeds have delved to undermine the legitimacy of their deduction.

United's appeal did not reach the judiciary but the claim submitted on February 12, and signed by their director Mark Taylor, is likely to be employed in its entirety when a panel of three convene to rule on the 15-point punishment next week.

The legal establishment's understanding of a complex case is better than ours, but it is clear that Leeds will enter the arbitrational proceedings pre-armed.

Their case against the Football League is thoughtful and detailed, the result of six months of investigating the whys and wherefores of their penalty. While not a guarantee of outright victory, it gives Leeds a credible chance.

Details of the League's defence are not on public record, but the organisation will be asked to answer some pertinent questions.

Why, for example, did the League vote against the Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) proposed by Leeds when agreeing a CVA was a fundamental part of their insolvency policy?

The body stood to be paid in full for the £188,000 they were owed, and the absence of a CVA was largely responsible for United's points deduction. The League's rejection of the arrangement put to them was "arbitrary and unfair", Leeds claim, and evidence of prejudice.

United's legal team will ask the tribunal to consider whether it is appropriate for an organisation to reject a CVA and then sanction the club in question for failing to implement it.

The motivation for the legal challenge made by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) against United's CVA is another area of fierce contention.

HMRC sought a judicial review after the voluntary arrangement was initially passed by a majority of 75.2 per cent, and their contest was the catalyst for the CVA's collapse in July. KPMG, who had drawn up the proposal, withdrew it with the insistence that Leeds lacked the funds to continue operating while the case was settled in court.

In what appears to be an attempt to distance themselves from the process of administration, Leeds will claim that the decision to complete an administrators' sale – a direct sale made without a CVA – was the responsibility of KPMG, and not the club.

Moreover, they will tell the tribunal that their bid for the club was the highest available, and the most rewarding for their unsecured creditors

I was reading this yesterday and was taken aback by the confidence that's in the air. The fifteen points back would mean they are well in the hunt for the title!  8) Still, I would imagine if the appeal was successful, it would be subject to a counter appeal, and the whole issue could drag on for some time.

On the field though, things are looking up, with Macca having Leeds playing a nice style of football. The return of Jonathan Douglas is also very important, as his absence in the mid season slump was more then a coincidence. One defeat now in the last twelve, with victories over potential play off rivals Doncaster and Carlisle, leave Leeds heading for the conclusion of the season with some confidence. Promotion could yet become a reality!   

Edit: Should have known better than to open my mouth about recent good form - looks like Leeds are about to take a spill as we speak!

Billys Boots

QuoteThe return of Jonathan Douglas is also very important.

You and your gob Rufus, lost the derby to Huddersfield, and Douglas sent off.  Brilliant.  ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

SLIGONIAN

Lads a bit longer waith than I thought, it could be early next week before we know. Good to see beckford is back for millwall game. Bad result last night but I still believe are moving in the right direction.

Here is article from YEP:

Leeds United were today beginning their arbitrational challenge against the 15-point penalty imposed on the club by the Football League.

An independent review of United's penalty was due to begin in London this morning, with the hearing expected to last for up to three days.

A three-man panel consisting of retired High Court judge Sir Philip Otton, former Premier League chief executive Peter Leaver and lawyer Peter Cadman will consider United's argument that the deduction handed down to them for failing to exit administration through a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) was "unjustand unfair".

Leeds are being represented by David Phillips QC, while Jonathan Taylor of Bird & Bird was expected to lead the Football League's defence.

A verdict from the arbitration hearing is unlikely to be delivered before Friday, and it is anticipated that the tribunal's decision may be made public early next week.

United will argue that the Football League did not have the jurisdiction to punish the club with a 15-point penalty.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 16, 2008, 08:56:38 AM
QuoteThe return of Jonathan Douglas is also very important.

You and your gob Rufus, lost the derby to Huddersfield, and Douglas sent off.  Brilliant.  ::)

I know, I know - the irony of me saying that is killing me!   :-[

I'm going to predict now that we will get some of our 15 points back - not enough to affect the automatic promotion situation, but enough to guarantee a play off place - something like five points!

Going on previous, I now expect Elland Road to be destroyed in a tsunami and Leeds will have to fold!  :-\

SLIGONIAN

Big breaking news. The tribunal is set to run for a fourth day bringing into monday.

But this is strange announcement by panel, the decision will not be made until MAY 1ST at the earliest.

No reasons given. According to the LUFC website.

Why on earth are they going to wait till the season is over before making decision? Nobody will be able to plan for play offs. Are the Football league trying to shaft us again. What is logic behind that decision to delay the verdict????????

SLIGONIAN

OOOPS i read it wrong ::).

Verdict will be made available before MAY 1ST at the latest.

stew

I think they will get just enough points to ensure that they make the playoffs and not enough to automatically get promoted. The league should never have handed out this penalty in the first place but they will have learned from the mistakes they made with west ham in the sense that they know better than to directly cost another team their rightful place in the higher bracket. The hammers decision meant in the end than another team went down when they should have went down.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quotein that they were in fact punished twice for the same offence.

Is part of the issue not that, in reality, Leeds tried to avoid being punished at all by going into administration when they were not officially relegated but were goners as a result of goal difference?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

From the Bunker

Leeds should take their punishment of 15 points, get on with qualifying for the play-off, and if that is achieved, concentrate on winning promotion. Unfair to change the rules at this stage. If Leeds get some or all of the points back there will be some loser out on a automatic or play-off promotion place. If Leeds are good enough they will go up, plus there will be greater satisfaction.

stew

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 19, 2008, 11:27:44 AM
Leeds should take their punishment of 15 points, get on with qualifying for the play-off, and if that is achieved, concentrate on winning promotion. Unfair to change the rules at this stage. If Leeds get some or all of the points back there will be some loser out on a automatic or play-off promotion place. If Leeds are good enough they will go up, plus there will be greater satisfaction.

Leeds should have expected the same fate as West Ham except the fine should have been smaller given that they play in a much lower league. The should never have been docked the points imo in the first place. To impose that kind of sanction on a team already strugling for survival is ridiculous in my opinion, this action would kill most clubs who  already circle the drain.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

SLIGONIAN

Yeovil 0 Leeds 1 FT, great result. Now we are guarnteed the play offs.

Hurler on the Bitch

Must say.. On Leeds... I have finished Dave Peace's book 'The Damned United' on Brian Clough's 44 days at Leeds in 1974 and I must say it is a cracking read... although there is a bit of poetic license, regarding what went on, he has the facts surrounding the whole thing right and has Clough sussed out ... too big for his boots, young man....