Nolan Show

Started by Ulick, January 14, 2011, 10:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Snapchap Bryson gets more time than he should in the Irish news.

I would agree with your post. Without Nolan Bryson wouldn't be a thing. Neither are a positive influence on unionism and I refer to my previous point that I am not sure there would be a peace process if Nolan was a thing at the time.

He is best ignored yes but like a load of tabloid rags you can ignore them but the problem is the people, of which there are many, who don't.

Hereiam

Nolans type of broadcasting needs to be confined to the bin if this place wants to move forward.

Saffrongael

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 16, 2023, 09:05:32 AM
Is Nolan just best ignored?

I have been doing it all my life, some just want to be permanently offended though
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

johnnycool

Quote from: Saffrongael on August 16, 2023, 09:53:45 AM

I have been doing it all my life, some just want to be permanently offended though

The short answer is yes and if he was on a commercial radio station then he could fire away.
The problem is he's on a public funded radio station which I pay towards and evidently is unaccountable to anyone in terms of the shows content and behaviour.

He's not a journalist BTW and his shows are deemed light entertainment so he doesn't have to meet any "balance" requirements.

Looking back at clips of the show he had on with this lad Bear was absolute car crash homo-erotic drivel, surely someone in the production team should have shouted stop!

johnnycool

UK papers now picking up this story, it's in the Daily Mail and Telegraph so they see this as a good opportunity to get a dig at the BBC.

Mr Smith in Belfast won't be able to cover the big lads arse on this for much longer.

general_lee

In any other line of work would it be acceptable behaviour to get on like he supposedly has?

marty34

Quote from: Eire90 on August 16, 2023, 06:43:57 AM
crawley pretends to be this  goody two shoes guy but he comes across as smug  and he just rehashes the same topics over and over he must talk about a united ireland once a week thank god i dont listen to it anymore its just an extension of nolan really.

The Nolan Show is a poor man's Talkback.

marty34

Quote from: Snapchap on August 16, 2023, 08:12:27 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 15, 2023, 08:29:33 PM
Peadar Toibin is a regular contributor. You can't really blame Nolan for a lack of fenians if fenians boycott the show.
Not according to the full breakdown of stats posted by yourself on page 18 of this thread. According to that breakdown, he didn't appear once in the month of June. He also didn't appear throughout February when a other breakdown of guests was posted by myself on page 17 of the thread.

According to the breakdown for February, the breakdown of guests was:
Unionists: 22
Nationalists: 6 (3 of which are Alison Morris who is a journalist for a Unionist Newspaper)
Other: 4

Thats not just politicians. Thats politicians, journalists, commentators etc. Your stats from June seem somewhat similar a scenario, if not worse. Does that sound balanced to you?

SF are in the huff about his coverage of the Bobby Storey funeral during the pandemic. The SDLP are in the huff about Matthew O'Toole being cut off in mid-sentence when he said something about David Campbell being a terrorist IIRC.
SF's boycott of the show predates the Bobby Storey funeral by several years.

TBH the number of appearances on the show doesn't seem to be any big predictor of electoral success. SF topped the poll without having been on the show for years. The UUP gets a bigger say than the DUP but that doesn't seem to convert to election results either. I'd question how much influence the "biggest show in the country" really has.
Undeniable that he does carry an influence within unionism and particularly within the DUP due to his persistent platforming of Jim Allister and Bryson over the years. In recent years, Bryson has been dictating DUP policy to them and the only reason he has such influence is because Nolan gave him a platform and single handedly made him a household name. Can you name any other journalist or news outlet who gives him the time of day? As a textbook example of the influence his show has, I know I posted this before, but what typifies Nolan for me was his antics in February 2018 when stormont was collapsed, and talks were at an advanced stage aimed at reinstating the assembly. He spent months and months criticising politicians for not compromising to get the institutions back until lo and behold, the first day news leaked that a compromise may have been reached, Nolan was all over it the next morning like a rash, whipping unionism into an absolute frenzy over the news that the DUP had made an apparent compromise on an Irish Language Act. In the space of the ten days in/around that time in February '18, Nolan had Jim Allister on as a guest on his radio/tv shows on the 9th, 11th, 12th, on BOTH his radio and TV shows on 14th, on 15th and the 19th. That's seven times in ten shows. Unionism was whipped into a fury and the DUP were forced to pull the rug from under the deal.

Very valid analysis there Snapchat.

weareros

Quote from: johnnycool on August 16, 2023, 10:42:38 AM
UK papers now picking up this story, it's in the Daily Mail and Telegraph so they see this as a good opportunity to get a dig at the BBC.

Mr Smith in Belfast won't be able to cover the big lads arse on this for much longer.

His mother the anti GAA, anti Irish language TUV politician Anne Smyth. He should be the first to go for covering it up, nothing to see here.

red hander

Quote from: marty34 on August 16, 2023, 11:48:04 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on August 16, 2023, 08:12:27 AM
Peadar Toibin is a regular contributor. You can't really blame Nolan for a lack of fenians if fenians boycott the show.
Not according to the full breakdown of stats posted by yourself on page 18 of this thread. According to that breakdown, he didn't appear once in the month of June. He also didn't appear throughout February when a other breakdown of guests was posted by myself on page 17 of the thread.

According to the breakdown for February, the breakdown of guests was:
Unionists: 22
Nationalists: 6 (3 of which are Alison Morris who is a journalist for a Unionist Newspaper)
Other: 4

Thats not just politicians. Thats politicians, journalists, commentators etc. Your stats from June seem somewhat similar a scenario, if not worse. Does that sound balanced to you?

SF are in the huff about his coverage of the Bobby Storey funeral during the pandemic. The SDLP are in the huff about Matthew O'Toole being cut off in mid-sentence when he said something about David Campbell being a terrorist IIRC.
SF's boycott of the show predates the Bobby Storey funeral by several years.

TBH the number of appearances on the show doesn't seem to be any big predictor of electoral success. SF topped the poll without having been on the show for years. The UUP gets a bigger say than the DUP but that doesn't seem to convert to election results either. I'd question how much influence the "biggest show in the country" really has.
Undeniable that he does carry an influence within unionism and particularly within the DUP due to his persistent platforming of Jim Allister and Bryson over the years. In recent years, Bryson has been dictating DUP policy to them and the only reason he has such influence is because Nolan gave him a platform and single handedly made him a household name. Can you name any other journalist or news outlet who gives him the time of day? As a textbook example of the influence his show has, I know I posted this before, but what typifies Nolan for me was his antics in February 2018 when stormont was collapsed, and talks were at an advanced stage aimed at reinstating the assembly. He spent months and months criticising politicians for not compromising to get the institutions back until lo and behold, the first day news leaked that a compromise may have been reached, Nolan was all over it the next morning like a rash, whipping unionism into an absolute frenzy over the news that the DUP had made an apparent compromise on an Irish Language Act. In the space of the ten days in/around that time in February '18, Nolan had Jim Allister on as a guest on his radio/tv shows on the 9th, 11th, 12th, on BOTH his radio and TV shows on 14th, on 15th and the 19th. That's seven times in ten shows. Unionism was whipped into a fury and the DUP were forced to pull the rug from under the deal.

Very valid analysis there Snapchat.

+1 Never listen to the bigoted mess, switch over straight away if big trunks comes on the radio/TV. But my attitude is don't interrupt your enemy when they're f**king up. All this just strengthens opposition to hardcore unionism from moderates. Nolan will probably see this storm out as he's protected by local BBC management, but never fear, he'll fall in the end, his hubris will do for him

tonto1888

He is indeed. Can be hard at times tho. I've him, and others, blocked on social media but you keep seeing screenshots of stuff.

RedHand88

Remember when he had Ó'Donnghaile on during the "curry my yoghurt" debacle and he repeatedly said it in his face asking why he didn't find it funny.

NAG1

Problem for him now is that the Anti - BBC media across the water have now got a hold of this, with him being rather high profile on 5 Live as well.

This no longer is a local spat that can be ignored for the BBC, so I would expect more and more to come out over the next few days.

trailer

Martina Anderson wants to see the messages in relation to her..... 

https://twitter.com/OMuirighSols/status/1691781485135638878?s=20

Snapchap

Haven't listened to it in years. Since 2018 actually, when the Allister debacle I referenced above happened.

Does Nolan offend me? Not in the slightest. Do I believe his content is toxic and sectarian? Absolutely. Doesnt toxic, sectarian output from bbcni deserve to be called out as often as possible? Believe it or not, many of Nolans critics are just motivated by a desire to see better/fairer standards from the public broadcaster and maybe deserve better than to be arrogantly dismissed as just a "permantly offended" bunch of snowflakes.

I vividly recall in 2018 that the bbc had a full week of coverage (across both TV and radio) marking the 25th anniversary of the Shankill Bomb. This included a feature every day on Nolans radio show as well as a documentary about the bombing on TV, produced and hosted by Nolan. Not one single reference, either on BBC TV or Nolans radio show throughout all of the following week about the 25th Anniversary of the UVFs Greeysteel 'Trick or Treat' massacre. Should it not be perfectly rational, not to mention important, to speak out about such a sectarian imbalance from Nolan/bbcni? Or would criticising it just mark one down as a "permantly offended" snowflake?