Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Attended a very interesting debate on the implications of a Brexit, in Newry last Thursday morning.Bertie was one of the speakers.Few eye openers, not least of which is the absolute dread of the free state business community and political parties of a Brexit.Independance? Celebrating 1916 centenary? My Arse.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM
Attended a very interesting debate on the implications of a Brexit, in Newry last Thursday morning.Bertie was one of the speakers.Few eye openers, not least of which is the absolute dread of the free state business community and political parties of a Brexit.Independance? Celebrating 1916 centenary? My Arse.

Not sure what point you're trying to make with those last three sentences.

T Fearon

Simple point.Why does anything the British do,politically or otherwise,concern Irish politicians,except some action that affects the North? Also crapping your kacks at the prospect of Britain leaving the EU,does not suggest that Ireland is in any way independent.

seafoid

Brexit would not be economically advantageous for the UK. Brexit could lead to a lot of unintended consequences. The Tories are hostage to their eurosceptic wing and Labour are led by Corbyn, neither of which are ideal in this case.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Never gonna happen. The big boys could cripple a country for not towing the line, hence why countries do what they're told.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on November 01, 2015, 06:55:33 PM
Simple point.Why does anything the British do,politically or otherwise,concern Irish politicians,except some action that affects the North? Also crapping your kacks at the prospect of Britain leaving the EU,does not suggest that Ireland is in any way independent.
I don't think any country in the modern world could be said to be truly independent. The UK certainly isn't.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

Believe me, it seems the 26 counties political and business classes are on the verge of a nervous breakdown now,and the date of a referendum hasn't even been announced yet.

Kursk

Quote from: seafoid on November 01, 2015, 06:59:54 PM
Brexit would not be economically advantageous for the UK. Brexit could lead to a lot of unintended consequences. The Tories are hostage to their eurosceptic wing and Labour are led by Corbyn, neither of which are ideal in this case.

That is the politics of fear. It is an old broken record at this stage. A more imaginative approach is needed.

As Suzanne Moore says:
"Surely I know, really, that when you want someone to vote a certain way you have to frighten them into thinking that any alternative is worse."
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/01/fear-mongering-enemy-of-democracy-from-greece-to-camerons-eu-referendum-euro-crisis

bennydorano

I've said it before on a similar thread but one of the biggest knock effects could be the disintegration of the UK itself - if England's votes take Scotland, Wales & to a lesser extent NI out of the EU against the democratic will of those constituent parts of the UK. It's mainly English eurosceptics who want the Brexit & Cameron dances to their tune trying to outflank the right of his own party & the UKIPpers.

Kursk

True. The disintegration of the UK would definitely be an added bonus.

T Fearon

All points are true but why is the freestate so concerned about a Brexit? Can true independence (which means it is irrelevant what Britain does) not be contemplated in the 26 counties never mind some mythical 32 county unitary state?

Rossfan

How about GB being our biggest trading partner?
Them leaving the single market would have to at least concern the business community.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kursk

but if we exited the Euro as well we'd be free to choose whatever monetary policy suits us best. Britain can continue to be our biggest trading partner.

T Fearon

I sensed trade was a large part of it,obviously,although those who favoured an exit maintained that special trade agreements would be drawn up to protect this,and there would be no return to customs posts at the North South Border.But I also got a strong sense that the co operation perceived to be required to sort out the six counties was also very important to the 26 counties.Do they really fear a break up of the U.K. could destabilise the UK to the extent that without Britain as an EU partner the South might have to deal with the North unaided?

I was really surprised by the tangible panic a potential Brexit is causing in the 26 counties which is unfathomable and irrational

Rossfan

Quote from: Kursk on November 01, 2015, 08:58:29 PM
but if we exited the Euro as well we'd be free to choose whatever monetary policy suits us best. Britain can continue to be our biggest trading partner.
If we exit the Euro and the E U we will be fcuked - in the real world that is.
In fantasy land as inhabited by various loonylefties , extreme right neo Nazis and "Kursk" anything is possible and if someone says something can be done then that's it sorted.
A bit like Alice in wonderland. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM