Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kursk

Quote from: Rossfan on November 01, 2015, 09:32:35 PM
Quote from: Kursk on November 01, 2015, 08:58:29 PM
but if we exited the Euro as well we'd be free to choose whatever monetary policy suits us best. Britain can continue to be our biggest trading partner.
If we exit the Euro and the E U we will be fcuked - in the real world that is.
In fantasy land as inhabited by various loonylefties , extreme right neo Nazis and "Kursk" anything is possible and if someone says something can be done then that's it sorted.
A bit like Alice in wonderland. ;D

It is instructive to see you resort to insults when challenged.

Why don't you explain how we will be "fucked" champ ? or is that the extent of your economic knowledge.  Plenty of counties both big and small do just fine outside of the Eurozone and out of the Euro.

T Fearon

Well Bertie certainly thinks Ireland would be fcuked if the 26 counties moved out of the EU!.He joked also that he was making the most of the bacon butties and scones available at the conference in Newry because there would be no money for them if there is a Brexit ;D

However there were a few commentators who said that no one really knows what would happen and its up to both sides to set an argument as to what the "UK" would look like both in or out of the EU and desist from scaremongering

BennyCake

Ireland were the political and economic outcast of Europe after deciding not to join the allies in WW2. The repercussions were felt for years. It still tarnishes Ireland's reputation, and Ireland will always bow down, cap in hand to the evil global administrations, and do whatever they say because of it.  Ireland had to lick Europe's arsehole and enter the EEC in the 70s (after being turned down).

Ireland, and all countries want, and need to join the EU otherwise they'll be outcasts and the country will be fucked (moreso than it is already). In an ideal world most people would say "feck Europe", but it's not that simple.

Eamonnca1

Britain is Ireland's biggest trading partner, Tony. The economies of the two islands are joined at the hip whether you like it or not. The implications of Brexit are absolutely huge. They're huge for the east-west relationship and they're huge for the EU that is so important to the free state economy.

T Fearon

But it is reckoned that Britain and Ireland could reach a trade agreement fairly easily,so that is obviously not the main reason for Irish nervousness

Eamonnca1

Okay then. It's because we're all a crowd of soccer-loving, Eastenders-watching, Royal-family-admiring West Brits who yearn for a return to British rule. There. Happy now?

LeoMc

Quote from: T Fearon on November 02, 2015, 07:22:40 AM
But it is reckoned that Britain and Ireland could reach a trade agreement fairly easily,so that is obviously not the main reason for Irish nervousness
Could any EU state just set up a unilateral trade agreement with a non EU state?

Canalman

Quote from: LeoMc on November 02, 2015, 08:07:42 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 02, 2015, 07:22:40 AM
Could any EU state just set up a unilateral trade agreement with a non EU state?

Correct, they cannot. Think France took some with them into the EEC as it was at the time.

Mate living in London for donkey's years now told me last Christmas that he was going to apply for a British passport just in case.

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on November 01, 2015, 06:55:33 PM
Simple point.Why does anything the British do,politically or otherwise,concern Irish politicians,except some action that affects the North? Also crapping your kacks at the prospect of Britain leaving the EU,does not suggest that Ireland is in any way independent.
Ireland isn't independent. Nor for that matter is the UK. The fate of Ireland's main export market is of interest to lreland. As it would be if that export market was Peru

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on November 01, 2015, 09:10:35 PM
I sensed trade was a large part of it,obviously,although those who favoured an exit maintained that special trade agreements would be drawn up to protect this,and there would be no return to customs posts at the North South Border.But I also got a strong sense that the co operation perceived to be required to sort out the six counties was also very important to the 26 counties.Do they really fear a break up of the U.K. could destabilise the UK to the extent that without Britain as an EU partner the South might have to deal with the North unaided?

I was really surprised by the tangible panic a potential Brexit is causing in the 26 counties which is unfathomable and irrational

Tony, what follow up questions did you ask to establish if those who advocated individual trade agreements had the first clue what they were talking about? Or did you unquestioningly accept what you were told?

How exactly would the south be left to deal with the north unaided?

smelmoth

The Brexit debate is head in the jaws of a lion stuff. To deliver on the aspirations of a sensible majority that want co-operation within a democratic, efficient Europe we have address the major flaws within the EU. Without the brexit threat the bigger debate was not getting traction. It could go spectacularly wrong though

Bord na Mona man

I'm not sure why and heed should be taken of Bertie Ahern.

Rossfan

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 02, 2015, 10:57:17 AM
The recession only started after he "left" office ;)
He beat the bookies on a regular basis
He was never a member of the Provo Army Council
He supports that well known Irish soccer team who play in Salford
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 02, 2015, 10:57:17 AM

Or Tony Fearon.

"I was really surprised by the tangible panic a potential Brexit is causing in the 26 counties which is unfathomable and irrational"

Has anyone else noticed this 'tangible panic'?
MWWSI 2017