Westmeath hurlers seek Ulster entry

Started by Mentalman, October 16, 2008, 05:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

Westmeath's hurlers could be heading north next summer
Thursday, 16 October 2008 15:58

Galway and Antrim are crossing provincial divides on their way into the Leinster hurling championship next year - and, in a shock move, Westmeath could be moving out, it has emerged.

Westmeath, who are not entitled to take part in the 2009 Leinster Championship, today confirmed that are applying to play in next season's Ulster hurling championship.

'We would dearly love to play in the Leinster Senior Hurling Championship, but we're not allowed to, and that's why we have now decided to apply to compete in the Ulster Championship in 2009,' said Westmeath hurling board chairman Billy Foley.

'We have played in the Christy Ring Cup three times, got to the final on each occasion, and won it twice. We found this year it was extremely difficult to motivate our players for the Christy Ring Cup, which is not in any way to denigrate the teams taking part in it.

'But, in some ways, the Christy Ring Cup has lost some its lustre for us, and that's why we have decided to seek a place in the 2009 Ulster Championship.'

In 2008, every Ulster county fielded a team in their provincial championship - the only province to achieve this goal - and Foley said he hoped for a positive response from the Ulster Council to their application.

'We have a strong underage hurling set-up here in Westmeath. We want to give our young players something to aspire to in terms of senior participation,' he said.

'In a democracy, you would think any county would be entitled to take part in their own provincial championship if they so wish. We have a long tradition of taking part in the Leinster Championship, and that's where we would like to be.

'But we are not entitled to take part next year, and that's why we are looking to Ulster.'

The winners of the Ulster Championship do not qualify for the new-look Liam McCarthy Cup next season, but Foley said Westmeath would benefit from taking part in a vibrant provincial championship.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2008/1016/westmeath.html

Best laugh I've had today.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Croí na hÉireann

:D Good man Billy. Brilliant response to shabby treatment...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Mentalman

Broke the news of the two all-stars in football to a Cavan & Monaghan man woh sit beside me in work. Got responses like "That makes a mockery of the whole yoke!". Followed it up by sending them on this story - total apoplexy! Can't see it happening, but I tell you it would fair toughen them up - can imagine the Ulster sides would melt into them. To be fair, while an invite to play in Leinster would have been nice, we have no gorunds for complaint compared to Carlow.

AZOffaly

Westmeath would win the Ulster Championship in my opinion. It's disgraceful that they are not in the Leinster Championship. Who'd ever have 'thunk' that teams who wanted to enter their own provincial championship would be denied that right, and by interlopers as well. Shocking stuff.

I have no real objections to Galway and Antrim moving into the LHC, but I do have a problem with the likes of Westmeath, Carlow Meath and Kildare effectively being barred from entering.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Mentalman on October 16, 2008, 05:21:34 PM
Broke the news of the two all-stars in football to a Cavan & Monaghan man woh sit beside me in work. Got responses like "That makes a mockery of the whole yoke!". Followed it up by sending them on this story - total apoplexy! Can't see it happening, but I tell you it would fair toughen them up - can imagine the Ulster sides would melt into them. To be fair, while an invite to play in Leinster would have been nice, we have no gorunds for complaint compared to Carlow.

Got the whole "mockery" line myself but when I ask who'd u have in there then instead of them, nothing but silence.

The Ulster thing is a brilliant bit of outside the box thinking. Like you said it would toughen them up, I'm sure Down would love a cut at them for being beaten in the CR final in 05 and Antrim would surely welcome competition more at their level. If we do well then we'll have a strong case for entry into our own provincial championship next year...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Are Antrim playing in both Ulster and Leinster? Surely not? Jaysus, if they win both, will they play themselves in the Qualifiers?

This is getting stupid.

Mentalman

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 16, 2008, 05:42:31 PM
Are Antrim playing in both Ulster and Leinster? Surely not? Jaysus, if they win both, will they play themselves in the Qualifiers?

This is getting stupid.

They will play in both, but there is no entry to Liam by winning Ulster, hence they won't play themselves. And yeah, it is getting stupid it has to be said.

I'd reckon Antrim would be a step above Westmeath, but I suppose we will find out in division 2 of the league next year - that's one thing they have got right, IMO, in this reorg.

Minder

Antrim wouldnt be as far ahead of Westmeath as we may think...........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

johnneycool

Quote from: Mentalman on October 16, 2008, 05:47:38 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 16, 2008, 05:42:31 PM

This is getting stupid.

They will play in both, but there is no entry to Liam by winning Ulster, hence they won't play themselves. And yeah, it is getting stupid it has to be said.

I'd reckon Antrim would be a step above Westmeath, but I suppose we will find out in division 2 of the league next year - that's one thing they have got right, IMO, in this reorg.

In this topsy turvy world of hurling championship modifications I think Westmeath are well within their rights to apply to enter the Ulster championship which if they are allowed into (which they should IMO) would start becoming the old B championship.

It really is a balls if the Leinster council don't let the likes of Carlow, Westmeath and Meath enter into their own provincial championship

milltown row

sure Kerry havent played in the Munster Championship. if they win the Christy ring they could play in the LIam McCarthy but not Munster. they could also apply for the leinster championship

AZOffaly

Quote from: milltown row on October 17, 2008, 01:57:44 PM
sure Kerry havent played in the Munster Championship. if they win the Christy ring they could play in the LIam McCarthy but not Munster. they could also apply for the leinster championship

Yeah, but they aren't playing in the Connacht or Leinster Championship as well. If Kerry wanted to play in Munster, they'd be allowed.

turk

Westmeath are dead right. It's a disgrace that they and Carlow, Kildare, Meath and Wicklow were not included in Leinster.

Guillem2

London and New York have played in Ulster so why not Westmeath? It would improve the competition.

However I don't think they 're serious. They are just exposing how stupid the current rules are. Antrim can enter Ulster and Leinster but Carlow & Westmeath can even enter their own provincial championship.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

AZOffaly

I agree Guillem

The only thing is, I believe Offaly, Wexford and Dublin were the only counties to vote against Galway and Antrim entering Leinster. Laois also voiced opposition, but I'm not sure if they voted that way. Why didn't Westmeath, Carlow, Kildare, Meath etc. vote against that, or submit their own motion which allowed them counties in as a condition to Galway and Antrim joining.

The thought of a county choosing not to enter a provincial competition, like the Kilkenny footballers for example, always gets people saying things like 'you have to try harder'. But when the authorities themselves STOP counties who want to play from doing so, it's a sad day.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 17, 2008, 01:58:50 PM
Quote from: milltown row on October 17, 2008, 01:57:44 PM

Yeah, but they aren't playing in the Connacht or Leinster Championship as well. If Kerry wanted to play in Munster, they'd be allowed.

Would they though AZ? Is it not now the case that the Munster and Leinster championships are both restricted to Liam McCarthy sides?

There was an article about this in the Irish News a couple of weeks back. In theory if a Leinster team won the Christy Ring and then beat a Munster side in the promotion / relegation play off, they'd be entitled to a place in the Munster championship!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead