Whos the better team this year?

Started by The Watcher Pat, May 16, 2009, 04:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's been the better team?

Arsenal
Liverpool

The Watcher Pat

My mates a big Liverpool fan and just because Liverpool finished higher in the league he thinks they are automatically a better team than Arsenal.

My argument is Arsenal had the longest unbeaten run, ok they will finish a few points behind in the league but went further in , Champions league, FA  cup and even the Carling cup.....

You decide......And Liverpool fans be honest!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Ping Pong Santa

This is stupid. I'm not voting. Man United were the best team this year with Liverpool a close second. Chelsea are close behind that and Arsenal are fourth.

United fans are right, the league doesn't lie.

Minder

That long unbeaten run was littered with draws and the opposition was poor for the majority of it. Todays game was a microcosm of their season, passing, passing passing but nobody willing to take responsibility and try and do what wins games. . . . . Put the ball in the bloody net. They have regressed if anything this year.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

wherefromreferee?

Pointless  ::)

It's like asking who is the 2nd best team in Armagh, and sure we've already had that debate.
In your Endo!

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Ping Pong Santa on May 16, 2009, 04:08:03 PM
This is stupid. I'm not voting. Man United were the best team this year with Liverpool a close second. Chelsea are close behind that and Arsenal are fourth.

United fans are right, the league doesn't lie.

Its a straight question who's the better between Arsenal and Liverpool....No tricks involved read it???

When Liverpool won the CL it didnt matte about league places then....they were better so by my reaconing we got further than Liverpool in all 3 cup comps and were only a few points behind them in the league....so i recon Arsenal are a better team!

J70

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on May 16, 2009, 04:05:57 PM
My mates a big Liverpool fan and just because Liverpool finished higher in the league he thinks they are automatically a better team than Arsenal.

My argument is Arsenal had the longest unbeaten run, ok they will finish a few points behind in the league but went further in , Champions league, FA  cup and even the Carling cup.....

Cups are as much about the draw as anything else. Are you suggesting that Liverpool could not have beaten Villareal or that Arsenal would definitely have beaten Chelsea? Liverpool went out of the FA Cup to a last minute extra time goal in the replay to Everton - hardly the most humiliating exit. As for the Carling Cup, who really gives a bollocks? (It took me a few minutes to remember that Spurs knocked Liverpool out!)

And "Liverpool fans be honest!" is not a loaded request at all... ::)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: wherefromreferee? on May 16, 2009, 04:18:08 PM
Pointless  ::)

It's like asking who is the 2nd best team in Armagh, and sure we've already had that debate.
Cross seconds?

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: J70 on May 16, 2009, 04:21:37 PM

Cups are as much about the draw as anything else. Are you suggesting that Liverpool could not have beaten Villareal or that Arsenal would definitely have beaten Chelsea? Liverpool went out of the FA Cup to a last minute extra time goal in the replay to Everton - hardly the most humiliating exit. As for the Carling Cup, who really gives a bollocks? (It took me a few minutes to remember that Spurs knocked Liverpool out!)

Does it matter what time the goal was scored? Chelsea went out by a last minute goal to Barca but still didnt make the final....

Arsenal won the league at Anfield 20 yrs ago by a last min goal....You play for 90 mins or 120 if extra time not 89 or 119....

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

fred the red

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on May 16, 2009, 04:29:04 PM

Does it matter what time the goal was scored? Chelsea went out by a last minute goal to Barca but still didnt make the final....

Arsenal won the league at Anfield 20 yrs ago by a last min goal....You play for 90 mins or 120 if extra time not 89 or 119....

spuds have been the best team in north london since redknapp took over (going on league performance)

The Watcher Pat

yeh spuds are a great side alright....If Harry hadnt have taken over their big North London derby would have been against Barnet!

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Lecale2

2 bald men fighting over a comb.

J70

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on May 16, 2009, 04:29:04 PM

That's your only quibble?  :D

Again, my point is that they fell to a very, very late goal against a tough opponent, who have gone on to knock out United and reach the final. Opponents have to be taken into account if you're going to compare progress in cup competitions. Its not rocket science.

David McKeown

Can't say I agree that the league table necessarily shows the best or worst teams, it more shows the best squad.  The cups are similar to an extent.  In terms of best 11's this season I would say Utd and Liverpool would be close with Chelsea a little behind and Arsenal well behind in third.  For me they are two weak in many key areas
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner