Whos the better team this year?

Started by The Watcher Pat, May 16, 2009, 04:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's been the better team?

Arsenal
Liverpool

J70

Quote from: David McKeown on May 16, 2009, 05:15:56 PM
Can't say I agree that the league table necessarily shows the best or worst teams, it more shows the best squad.  The cups are similar to an extent.  In terms of best 11's this season I would say Utd and Liverpool would be close with Chelsea a little behind and Arsenal well behind in third.  For me they are two weak in many key areas

Chelsea's best eleven would be well up there too for me. They missed Essien badly, and, obviously taking into account the influence of Hiddink, its not coincidence that they've improved dramatically since his return.

Squad depth matters though, and that is where United have the edge, along with the greater number of goal-scoring options (although it was arguably their defense which won them the title with that post new year run).

It will be interesting to see whether Liverpool continue into next season with the adventure and form of the past two months. They couldn't buy a goal in Jan-Feb; now, after it was a little too late, they can't stop scoring.

ildanach

Quote from: David McKeown on May 16, 2009, 05:15:56 PM
Can't say I agree that the league table necessarily shows the best or worst teams, it more shows the best squad.  The cups are similar to an extent.  In terms of best 11's this season I would say Utd and Liverpool would be close with Chelsea a little behind and Arsenal well behind in third.  For me they are two weak in many key areas

i actually think chelsea probably have a better first 11 than liverpool. arsenal are definately 4 players short!
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Puckoon

Quote from: Minder on May 16, 2009, 04:14:46 PM
That long unbeaten run was littered with draws and the opposition was poor for the majority of it. Todays game was a microcosm of their season, passing, passing passing but nobody willing to take responsibility and try and do what wins games. . . . . Put the ball in the bloody net. They have regressed if anything this year.

What do you mean "this season"?
Unfortunately this trait of wanting to pass the ball into the net has haunted arsenal for a couple years now. How often does the average arsenal fan scream "shoot! Shoot! Shoot the damn ball!" at their television?

Hound

There's very little between the top 3, Arsenal are a distant 4th, but still well ahead of Everton and Villa. Arsenal need a couple of "I'd die for the jersey" type of players IMO.