Hurling Championship 2017

Started by seafoid, May 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

I've slowly come around to the idea that Waterford will win.
was down that way last week and I couldn't believe how subdued the place was

johnneycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 29, 2017, 09:52:09 AM
I've slowly come around to the idea that Waterford will win.
was down that way last week and I couldn't believe how subdued the place was

Whilst Galway are slight favourites I'd say they are the slightest of favourites and Waterford are in with a real shout, make no mistake about it.

It'll be nice to see fans really celebrate the victory either way. All good for hurling in general, although I don't think the game itself will be a classic. It'll be too nervy for that.

north_antrim_hound

This will test the Galway management
If they are smart they will have spent a lot of time in training this last two weeks
Shooting from distance to try and pull Waterford out of their trenches
This could open up the game for whelan and co
If they try And play their  conventional game I fancy Waterford

Johnny cool is right, its gonna be tense and nervy game which might keep to scoring down
Again advantage Waterford
Don't think Galway would want a two point game with ten to go
Having said all that if Galway bring their A game you can't look past them
I can't think of a clear favourite
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

AZOffaly

Galway are well capable of scoring from distance, but will they do it in a big final? Waterford take a lot of long shots themselves, due to the reduced numbers in the inside lines. It could turn out to be a shootout like a contest between 3 point shooters in basketball. Whoever is hotter on the day wins. I think Galway have the better hurlers, so I'm going with them.

An Fhairche Abu

Demand is fairly savage for tickets.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 30, 2017, 12:37:40 PM
Its absolutely unreal.  Thankfully I have one BUT sure I'm trying to bring the young buck and the chances of getting 2 together are fairly slim!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on August 30, 2017, 12:49:48 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 30, 2017, 12:37:40 PM
Its absolutely unreal.  Thankfully I have one BUT sure I'm trying to bring the young buck and the chances of getting 2 together are fairly slim!!

Its usually ok up here if ya want a ticket most years,  but I'm getting knockbacks everywhere! I'm looking a pair and at the minute its not looking good!! I'll head down anyways, as most years you noticed them being off loaded around Quinns
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 30, 2017, 11:08:26 AM
Galway are well capable of scoring from distance, but will they do it in a big final? Waterford take a lot of long shots themselves, due to the reduced numbers in the inside lines. It could turn out to be a shootout like a contest between 3 point shooters in basketball. Whoever is hotter on the day wins. I think Galway have the better hurlers, so I'm going with them.

It depends how the Deise set up. Offaly had 2 sweepers and 5 JCBs so Galway just sat back and pointed from way out.
Galway should be working on converting goal chances. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on August 30, 2017, 01:57:05 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 30, 2017, 11:08:26 AM

It depends how the Deise set up. Offaly had 2 sweepers and 5 JCBs so Galway just sat back and pointed from way out.
Galway should be working on converting goal chances.

Would a packed defence not make it difficult to convert goal chances ? Two man FF line if left with 2 FB's will get goals can't see that being allowed by both teams

I said before I would have much preferred Cork in the final (from a neutral view) as it would have been a traditional shoot out but with Waterford it will be tighter as they go in search of winning the title for a long time, Galway have been to the finals a few times recently and have fallen short, various reasons that we'll not get into so you'd hope that the manager has installed a winning mentality this time around..

As for breaking that sweeper system two ways of doing it would be to spread the play as wide as possible, dragging the sweeper out of position, with runners linking up looking for a return pass, the main one would be the long range shooting, now Galway certainly have that in their players but there will be a intensity to Waterford's play that I'd expect they will hound down each shot Galway take (as you would hope for in a final)

The winning of this game will be in the final 15 mins, whoever has the fitness, and a full compliment of players, the tactics may go out the window once the ref starts the game, hopefully
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Waterford are set up very similar to Wexford, who competed with Galway for long periods in the leinster final
they just didn't have good enough forwards to win and hold onto the ball
Waterford do.

Its a great game to be looking forward to

seafoid

Will sweeping work in an AIF?

Waterford will have loads of emotional support but they don't have as much top level experiencê

seafoid

What about on a man for man basis?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on August 30, 2017, 02:55:27 PM
What about on a man for man basis?

Push the Galway sweeper up to 'mark' the Waterford sweeper? I've tried that before in a club game, it only makes that area more congested, difficult to win clean ball!

Waterford have stuck to this system and it got them to a final, I can't for the life of me see them not trying it on Sunday! One option for that system is to keep it going for 55/60 minutes and then go man on man, as space will be more available as the legs get tired

NAG1

As with all of these games with teams employing sweepers or forward players withdraw the middle third is where this game will be won and lost.

Both teams will have big physical men in this area and it could come down to a war of attrition in this zone. Alright talking about beating the sweeper by shooting from deep, but this is more difficult the more bodies that are around in that zone.

If Galway can break this area with hard runners they could be on to a good thing, however I would say of the two teams Waterford would be more comfortable working the ball around in this area.

It is a totally intriguing contest in prospect and I think it will come with massive intensity so hoping for a cracker.

AZOffaly

Remember what Tipp did to the Waterford sweeper? That might work as a surprise tactic as well, because Galway have the same sort of big mobile forwards that Tipp had. Basically they looked for de Burca, and hit towering high balls right on top of him. The Sweeper then became a target for Callinan and McGrath to come in and attack from behind, and the other forwards swept in for breaks.

That might lead to a few goalscoring opportunities.