The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 01, 2019, 08:36:23 AM
Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on April 01, 2019, 08:16:03 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 31, 2019, 11:23:19 PM
Great win for McDowell today

Absolutely delighted for GMac. He's seems to genuinely be a top lad. He's the kind of lad that I think us average hackers can look up to. He's not the most athletic and not the longest off the tee but he certainly delivers in the clutch moments. Would love to see him get to Portrush.

Agree👍👍
Unassuming gentleman.

screenexile

Does a win on the PGA Tour not guarantee entry to the majors??

screenexile

Quote from: screenexile on April 01, 2019, 09:40:26 AM
Does a win on the PGA Tour not guarantee entry to the majors??

Just checked . . . it doesn't!

Applesisapples

McIlroy-Woods was riveting to watch. I McIlroy's game is in better shape than Tiger's but the Big Cat knows how to turn the screw. Delighted to see Kucher getting beaten, unsporting money grabbing pratt.

cornerback

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 01, 2019, 09:37:21 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 31, 2019, 08:03:28 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 31, 2019, 07:01:19 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on March 31, 2019, 12:29:30 PM
Many golfers on the board with handicaps?? I'm playing off 15 for past few years,can't seem to get any better or worse at it :P could play 7 days a week if I could find a way to financially support my idea lol

I've a 16 handicap more play more like a 24. Lowest I have been is 12 for two weeks.

Got down to 11 when I was kid but went up consistently at uni and when I started work. Was back at 18 when I broke two bones in my back about 6 years and am only now getting back into the game. Would probably be off 24 now. Have to say though I got a new set of Irons a few months ago. Custom fit to me so a little longer and a little more upright. I wish I had those when playing regularly because I easily got them 15% further and with more accuracy. Didn't realise the difference custom fitting could make.
Playing off 19 ATM, got down to 14 in the winter, target this year is 16.

Currently playing off 21 (20.6).  Lowest I've been is 20.

Starting playing 4 years ago, aside from hacking it around par3 course when i was a cub.  Started off 24 & went up to 25 briefly on 2 occasions.

Driver is my biggest achilles heel.  Had been hitting the driver well (by my standards) over the winter but went to shite yesterday.  Still managed to scramble around for 39 points.  However, it isn't qualifying yet.

Main aim this year is to get down to 18.  But that was my aim last year too!!

Applesisapples

Quote from: cornerback on April 01, 2019, 09:54:35 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 01, 2019, 09:37:21 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 31, 2019, 08:03:28 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 31, 2019, 07:01:19 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on March 31, 2019, 12:29:30 PM
Many golfers on the board with handicaps?? I'm playing off 15 for past few years,can't seem to get any better or worse at it :P could play 7 days a week if I could find a way to financially support my idea lol

I've a 16 handicap more play more like a 24. Lowest I have been is 12 for two weeks.

Got down to 11 when I was kid but went up consistently at uni and when I started work. Was back at 18 when I broke two bones in my back about 6 years and am only now getting back into the game. Would probably be off 24 now. Have to say though I got a new set of Irons a few months ago. Custom fit to me so a little longer and a little more upright. I wish I had those when playing regularly because I easily got them 15% further and with more accuracy. Didn't realise the difference custom fitting could make.
Playing off 19 ATM, got down to 14 in the winter, target this year is 16.

Currently playing off 21 (20.6).  Lowest I've been is 20.

Starting playing 4 years ago, aside from hacking it around par3 course when i was a cub.  Started off 24 & went up to 25 briefly on 2 occasions.

Driver is my biggest achilles heel.  Had been hitting the driver well (by my standards) over the winter but went to shite yesterday.  Still managed to scramble around for 39 points.  However, it isn't qualifying yet.

Main aim this year is to get down to 18.  But that was my aim last year too!!
I feel your pain!!!!!

Insane Bolt

Quit playing 10 years ago, played off 5, fed up with 5 hour rounds and scoring in competitions.

Orior

Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 01, 2019, 11:21:15 AM
Quit playing 10 years ago, played off 5, fed up with 5 hour rounds and scoring in com
petitions.

You mean not scoring?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

TwoUpTwoDown

Quit playing 10 years ago, played off 5, fed up with 5 hour rounds and scoring in competitions.

I hear you. Golf is a cracking sport but you've got to be up and out around sunrise. Theres nothing worse than going out around 12 and it eating up your whole day. We teed it up at 6.40 on Saturday and I was back at home drinking tea before 11. Couldn't beat it.

Rois

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on April 01, 2019, 11:39:50 AM

I hear you. Golf is a cracking sport but you've got to be up and out around sunrise. Theres nothing worse than going out around 12 and it eating up your whole day. We teed it up at 6.40 on Saturday and I was back at home drinking tea before 11. Couldn't beat it.
Some of us can't even play on a Saturday. 

Orior

Quote from: Rois on April 01, 2019, 12:02:05 PM

Yes you can, if you pay the full membership fee like the rest of us 🙂
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rois

Quote from: Orior on April 01, 2019, 12:15:30 PM

Saturday is blocked out at our club for men's competition from sunrise.  Ladies full membership is actually £3.50 per year more than the men's rates due to higher LGUI fees. 

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: Rois on April 01, 2019, 01:12:20 PM

Saturday is blocked out at our club for men's competition from sunrise.  Ladies full membership is actually £3.50 per year more than the men's rates due to higher LGUI fees.

That is an absolute farce in this day and age. Out of interest what club are you a member of? On another note I was at a loose end in work earlier and took a quick browse around membership rates in certain clubs. It really is difficult to attract people to the game whenever you see the sheer cost of it in some parts of the country. Such a pity as it's a cracking game for both your physical and mental health ( the latter is only true around 20% of the time  ;D)

trailer

Yeah Saturday and Sunday is a no go for Women in my club unless they want to play late in the evening. Tuesdays are however given over to them. So suits the retired or non working lady member. It's a bollocks. I think working members (Men & Women) should perhaps be given privilege at the weekends, one day either Sat or Sun and then retired members given their own day during the week. Monday for Men and Tuesday foe Women for example. Dunno how practical this is. 
It's definitely working against encouraging women into the sport. My wife a rather accomplished Camogie player in her day has played a few times but works Monday - Friday so is unable to commit to joining as she wouldn't get to play.

Rois

Quote from: trailer on April 01, 2019, 02:48:46 PM

Yeah Saturday and Sunday is a no go for Women in my club unless they want to play late in the evening. Tuesdays are however given over to them. So suits the retired or non working lady member. It's a bollocks. I think working members (Men & Women) should perhaps be given privilege at the weekends, one day either Sat or Sun and then retired members given their own day during the week. Monday for Men and Tuesday foe Women for example. Dunno how practical this is. 
It's definitely working against encouraging women into the sport. My wife a rather accomplished Camogie player in her day has played a few times but works Monday - Friday so is unable to commit to joining as she wouldn't get to play.
Yes Tuesday is ladies' day at my new club (Lurgan) and I'm hoping to be able to work flexibly so I can at least play in a few competitions.  It'll get easier to get out now for nine holes in the evening, now that the clocks have changed, but restricts golf to April-September really, and to nine-hole comps. 
To be fair to Lurgan, they are really trying with the ladies section and have introduced a good offer that if you do an introductory course (6 wks), you can sign up for the rest of the year for about £120, though you don't get a handicap.  It at least gives people an insight as to whether they want to join or not.  In my group from last year, 5 out of 8 have joined this year as associate members, having used the intro offer. 
PS my first score yesterday was huge - OK until about 80 yards from the green, and if I didn't get into a bunker...disaster when that happened!