Football All Stars 2018

Started by thewobbler, July 25, 2018, 06:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

There should be an appeals process.

Manning18

Quote from: hardstation on November 01, 2018, 12:16:10 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 01, 2018, 12:06:05 PM
Historians of Gaelic football will surely wonder how the most   influential footballer on one of the greatest teams ever was not awarded an All Star in any one four successive years in which he lifted the Sam Maguire as captain. Stephen Cluxton is far more than just a goalkeeper.

A grave injustice.
When they have an All Star for the "Far more than just a goalkeeper" position, he'll be in with a great shout.

He'd lose that surely also given that Beggan is slotting 60 yarders?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

square_ball

One things for certain he'll get one next year.

RedHand88

Quote from: hardstation on November 01, 2018, 11:12:27 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 01, 2018, 10:55:25 AM
Quote from: hardstation on November 01, 2018, 08:46:20 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on November 01, 2018, 08:20:09 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 01, 2018, 08:08:35 AM
Monaghan got more than Tyrone which says a lot about where Tyrone really are at the moment in the eyes of the selection group

Meh. Beat Donegal comfortably on their own pitch and got past monaghan on an off day. Wouldn't fear any of them next year.
Donegal comfortably? About 8 minutes was comfortable. You were behind the rest.

It was a comfortable win away from home
It would appear so, looking at the scoreline. It wasn't comfortable in reality. Tyrone looked beat with 10 minutes to go.

So? Tyrone were 4 up on Dublin in the all Ireland final. Only score that matters is the final score.

GalwayBayBoy

Congrats to Ian Burke. I'll be honest I thought he wouldn't get one as I thought we'd get one All-Star and it would be Shane Walsh. Shane can probably feel fairly hard done by. He was excellent all season apart from maybe the final Super 8 game against Monaghan. Good against Mayo, outstanding in the Connacht final, good against Kerry on an awful day and hit 1-5 against Dublin in the semi (1-2 from play).

Ethan Tremblay

Was reading Tomas O'Se and Ciaran Whealan have had their says Cluxton on Hoganstand.  Didn't realise he hasn't received one for 5 years which is maddening but don't agree its because he doesn't interact with the media. 

Think Beggan is a well deserving winner.  Cluxton is that good of a keeper and seldom makes mistakes so it hard for him to stand out anymore than he already does in my opinion.   

I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Captain Obvious

It was a case that Stephen Cluxton a good keeper on a great team lost out to Rory Beggan who had a great year on a good team.

Schkite

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on November 01, 2018, 01:59:23 PM
Was reading Tomas O'Se and Ciaran Whealan have had their says Cluxton on Hoganstand.  Didn't realise he hasn't received one for 5 years which is maddening but don't agree its because he doesn't interact with the media. 

Think Beggan is a well deserving winner.  Cluxton is that good of a keeper and seldom makes mistakes so it hard for him to stand out anymore than he already does in my opinion.   

O'Se's reasoning that he'd give it Cluxton every year is bullshit, because he calls him the best keeper and most influential player in general.That's not how all star selections work.

Hound

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on November 01, 2018, 10:17:34 AM

Beggan was excellent this year, Cluxton could have definitely got it but I don't think he was robbed.
That being said Cluxton not getting any All Star in the last 5 years is clearly absurd though. The years Clarke and Kealy got awards over him were far worse snubs than Beggan this year.

Agreed. There were other years when Cluxton was absolutely robbed, and if he'd got those, there'd be no controversy about this year's award. I thought his performance in the final might have been enough to get him this one, particularly because of previous years going against him, but it was very close and Beggan also deserved it, so I've no problem with him picking up one.

Conversely, I think James McCarthy and Ryan McHugh both picked up awards for being consistently good over a number of years rather than being great this year.

Tiernan McCann unlucky, but I though McCaffrey and O'Connell are the right wing back options. With (IMO) no dominant centre half back this year, I would have put Cavanagh there, opening the way for another in the full back line. Maybe Eoin Ban G, with Cooper moving to 3 where he played a lot.

Shane Walsh not getting one is very surprising. Especially with the contrived move of Howard to midfield to get an extra forward in.  I would have gone Mannion-Kilkenny-Walsh, Clifford-McManus-Rock.

thewobbler

When the best keeper in the country wins an All-Ireland, the only way any other keeper can "deserve" an All Star is to have had a better season than him.

Beggan wasn't better than Cluxton this year. He might have been there or thereabouts, but he wasn't better. So the award should have went to the champion.

Some people don't want to hear this. They just want recognition for a player. It was a sympathy vote for Beggan in my estimation, which isn't what All Stars should be about.

J70

Cluxton suffers in part because his excellence is taken as a given at this point.

Its a difficult one. Do we just hand it to him every year when he once again sets the standard, or does his universally-recognized status as probably the best and most influential keeper ever leave some room to honour other keepers achieving excellence in his wake?

Maybe Cluxton is beyond mere All Stars at this point.

seafoid

Beggan won a county final this year. Clucko didn't
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

DuffleKing

Quote from: thewobbler on November 01, 2018, 02:21:45 PM
When the best keeper in the country wins an All-Ireland, the only way any other keeper can "deserve" an All Star is to have had a better season than him.

Beggan wasn't better than Cluxton this year. He might have been there or thereabouts, but he wasn't better. So the award should have went to the champion.

Some people don't want to hear this. They just want recognition for a player. It was a sympathy vote for Beggan in my estimation, which isn't what All Stars should be about.

I guess that's why it's a game of opinions. In my opinion Beggan was clearly better this year and his combined performances were possibly as a good as i've ever seen from a keeper in a season.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: thewobbler on November 01, 2018, 02:21:45 PM

In your own opinion.