Most unusual job you ever had

Started by irunthev, August 21, 2009, 11:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

I once had the job of counting the white lines, cat's eyes, drains and lamp posts along stretches of the M4 and A40 outside of London. Apparently the Roads Agency do a inventory of the road every five or six years, so I spent my days walking along the grass verge entering information into a hand held computer. The guy I was working with had been doing this for 25 years and his other role was tightening bolts on the central reservation barriers on motorways when they were closed for maintenance. I lasted a week before the boredom got the better of me.

Aerlik

I used to do a bit of work for the uncle of a certain very well known up and coming Derry senior footballer.  When I was 18 he had me and a mate go out with him to bag round bales of silage.  It was the worst weather and the shittiest job.  I got drenched and covered in clabber.  When I came home my mum was furious.  My sister piped in that it was character building.   ::)
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

cavan4ever

Say this on another forum, though it was quite funny.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: cavan4ever on August 21, 2009, 11:45:04 AM

:D :D :D :D :D explains alot...

Picking Mushrooms as 14/15 yr old for pocket money.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

redhugh

Dungin' out stables in Florida in 100 degrees heat...............only lasted 2 weeks.

na cleirigh

When at school I worked in a meat company on a Saturday and Sunday. Had to get up at 5.30. Was packing meat then moved onto being a trimmer. Done it for three years would doubt if I would last three days at it now.
If you have nothing nice to type, type it anyway but be prepared for the on slaught

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: cavan4ever on August 21, 2009, 11:45:04 AM

NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT  :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D
just in case someone was interested!
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Shamrock Shore

Labor Day in USA in 1987 I donned a shovel to help in the construction of a car wash in some God forsaen place called Tannersville in upstate NY. I think I got 50 dollars for my efforts. Stiff for a week after  :-[

My one and only time on construction!

ONeill

I was a stripper in Belfast in 1993.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RMDrive

I spend a day working at the masons lodge in Sydney and one of my memorable jobs was to clean the birdsh1t off a section of the walls at the front if the building.
[BTW, a bucket of hot water and a yard brush are not effective tools for removing said excrement. It was more a relocation excerise than a removal one.]

full back

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Over the Bar

Chicken catching team in Moy Park summer 1983.  Possibly the hottest, most gruelling and initially stomach-curdling work you could imagine.   You had to catch & carry 10 chickens at a time in the worst imaginable conditons on a 12 hour shift in chicken-houses toppoing 130 degrees in the sweltering summer heat.   Made a man of me fore sure

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Eastern_Pride

Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?