Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Oh and I forgot It suits the County with the Biggest Strongest squad. Because there will be suspensions, injuries and fatigue with games coming hard and fast.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 30, 2018, 09:27:36 PM
Oh and I forgot It suits the County with the Biggest Strongest squad. Because there will be suspensions, injuries and fatigue with games coming hard and fast.

Going by mayogaablog that'll be us.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 30, 2018, 10:30:30 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 30, 2018, 09:27:36 PM

Going by mayogaablog that'll be us.

You wish!

manfromdelmonte

money in the premier league means only the top 3/4 teams are realistically in with a shot of winning it

I don't know how the Leicester thing happened, but the other big teams were terrible that year

same withe La Liga, top few teams get most of the cash. they basically share the titles every few years

is that the way you want the football to go?

mayoman dan

Super 8 brought in to make up for the money HQ were losing on the ever decreasing All Ireland Quarter finals attendances. Two of Dublins Super 8 games will be played in Croke Park because they will be sell out and will create the most money for HQ
[/quote]

I understand the financial aspect of this.My problem is how in the name of God can the gaa run the football championship with a different set of rules for 1 team???Money shouldnt come into it here.Either everyone gets 2 home games or nobody does

tippabu

Quote from: mayoman dan on January 31, 2018, 01:21:57 AM

Super 8 brought in to make up for the money HQ were losing on the ever decreasing All Ireland Quarter finals attendances. Two of Dublins Super 8 games will be played in Croke Park because they will be sell out and will create the most money for HQ
[/b]

I understand the financial aspect of this.My problem is how in the name of God can the gaa run the football championship with a different set of rules for 1 team???Money shouldnt come into it here.Either everyone gets 2 home games or nobody does
[/quote]

But but but Dublins home ground is Parnell park, they get no home games;)

Main Street

From the indo today,  Sean McGoldrick reports
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-purchase-50-acre-farm-to-provide-playing-surface-replacements-for-croke-park-and-other-stadia-36551369.html

In a nutshell,

Even though there was a drop of over €200,000 in the grant which Dublin received towards Games Development last year they still received €1.2m in 2016 with Cork the next bigger recipient at €249,000.

Since the introduction of coaching grants in 2007, Dublin has received more than €16.m in funding directly from Croke Park with Cork the next biggest recipients at just over €1m.

mup

Quote from: Main Street on January 31, 2018, 01:48:15 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-purchase-50-acre-farm-to-provide-playing-surface-replacements-for-croke-park-and-other-stadia-36551369.html

In a nutshell,

Even though there was a drop of over €200,000 in the grant which Dublin received towards Games Development last year they still received €1.2m in 2016 with Cork the next bigger recipient at €249,000.

Since the introduction of coaching grants in 2007, Dublin has received more than €16.m in funding directly from Croke Park with Cork the next biggest recipients at just over €1m.

Wonder when the penny will drop for supporters of other counties?

JoG2

A sports reporter on the radio this morning (either Today FM or 2FM) said Croke Park brought in an extra €5m last year due to increased attendances at championship matches..could that be true?

Quote from: Main Street on January 31, 2018, 01:48:15 PM

In a nutshell,

utter madness the unfairness of this. Croke Pk has an unquenchable thirst for the Euro.

We try and get to as many county matches as we can, McKenna, league, championship, doesn't really matter the competition, same as a lot of others (well, maybe not in Derry). Regardless of how our county are doing, we'll still go, always have done, always will do. When Derry gets it's act together, the Anglo Celt will be the realistic goal. Having a tilt at Sam is a complete pipe-dream to the likes of ourselves and the vast majority of other counties.
Mayo will drop off, Kerry will usually be there or thereabouts. 1 from a group of about another 3 will maybe lift themselves to reach a final. Tyrone were the best by some distance in Ulster last year and were blown away by Dublin.
Was chatting to the old boy on the road home from Celtic Park on Sunday about Dublin probably winning their 4th Sam in the row and how depressing it would be

Syferus

Increased attendances because Mayo kept drawing matches and their supporters are soft enough (like ours are) to keep going to all the refixtures.

Interest in the IC game is on a serious downwards spiral now.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 30, 2018, 08:04:13 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on January 30, 2018, 07:54:23 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on January 30, 2018, 07:51:36 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on January 30, 2018, 07:48:35 PM
Lads maybe a bit off topic but can someone tell me will Dublin get to play their home and neutral super 8 games at croke park??? Ive been getting a lot of conflicting answers on this the past few days. Thanks
Both in Croke Park.

And how is that fair??? Ive no problem with some of the advantages Dublin have but thats blatant favouritism toward one team above another

Fair has nothing to do with it when it comes to Dublin. They'll get to play all three if their away game is v Mayo! :(
Didn't you say they'd get to play all three unless the third was a dead rubber?

Esmarelda

I agree generally with what's been said in the last couple of pages, but can someone tell me what their issue is with what's in that independent.ie link?

magpie seanie

This is not a GAA problem. This is a national problem that has been allowed to carry on unchecked for decades. There are too many people living in Dublin. This does nothing for the quality of life of people living there. I've been saying it for a long time - there needs to be a sustained, committed drive by government to divert job etc away from Dublin to less populous areas. Things will only get worse if this does not happen.

A flip side of this which I'm guessing not many care about is that in a county of 1.3M or whatever, only 25-30 lads get to play intercounty football. Which is nuts.

Rossfan

They have 4 ready made Counties who could field teams and ensure 100 Dublin footballers get to play Inter County in a year
Dublin City pop 554k
Fingal 296k
Dun Laoighaire Rathdown 210k
South Dublin 279k.
Wouldn't Fingal v Dublin City fill Croker anyday ;)

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM