Underage Grades

Started by Seany, November 10, 2019, 08:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seany

Bit of a mess, if you ask me.  Anyone following this?  GAA trying to get all counties to follow the under 11,13,15,17 rule.  After that it's up to each county.  Under 19, 20 or 21.  But this was supposed to be what the Special Congress was for...

Cunny Funt

A mess no doubt which will likely result in loads of young talented players focusing on something other that GAA.

manfromdelmonte

There was nothing wrong with U12, 14, 16, minor.

Too much tinkering about in the GAA the last 6 or 7 years
Every president feels they have to leave their mark or legacy, instead of just being the head of the GAA for 3 years and representing the association  as best they can

Smokin Joe

There was nothing wrong with the half years because it meant that at least the lads played with people in their school year, at least in the North. the whole way through the underage system.
Surely we want to keep playing numbers as high as possible, and to maximise that we should have people playing with their friends (who are likely to be in the same class as them)?

redzone

Quote from: Smokin Joe on November 11, 2019, 06:33:29 AM
There was nothing wrong with the half years because it meant that at least the lads played with people in their school year, at least in the North. the whole way through the underage system.
Surely we want to keep playing numbers as high as possible, and to maximise that we should have people playing with their friends (who are likely to be in the same class as them)?

What county's in the North had half years, can't think of any. Always thought L it was u12 14 16 18
Tyrone tried 2 years ago to turn it to half but was rejected by ulster Council

Smokin Joe

Quote from: redzone on November 11, 2019, 07:19:44 AM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on November 11, 2019, 06:33:29 AM

What county's in the North had half years, can't think of any. Always thought L it was u12 14 16 18
Tyrone tried 2 years ago to turn it to half but was rejected by ulster Council

Armagh had half years this year

lurganblue

Yeah Armagh had half years. Lost a few lads from the under 16s when they went to the Ulster comp because of it.

Another case of the GAA not having a standardised rule... Like the mess around replays, pens etc.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Think for Northern teams, the half years work well as it leaves lads playing with their own school year the whole way up.

Throw ball

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 11, 2019, 01:35:02 PM
Think for Northern teams, the half years work well as it leaves lads playing with their own school year the whole way up.

100%. Young fellas will stay longer if their school friends are there too.

Armagh CĂșchulainns

Across the Armagh clubs the consensus seemed to be that the 1/2 years this past year have helped but the potential changes coming down the road could be catastrophic.

Within our club we benefitted in 2019 in keeping the 18.5 older players for another year before the move to senior/stop playing - which is a great thing.
But we also encountered issues as we play in other county leagues which weren't 1/2 years - this caused issues with too much game time for some players at different stages in the year.
Also competing in All Ireland Feile at U14 was an issue as well midway through season.

Looking to 2020 when football people (I coach both) are suggesting that club football could go under in some areas in Armagh I can only imagine the damage that will be done to hurling.
Its all about the Hurling.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

An trim and Donegal staying with u12/14/16.minor.

Hopefully Derry will follow

AZOffaly

Tipperary is hanging onto the U12, u14, U16 for dear life. Still playing 21 this year as well. There is a sense that this convention might be the death knell and next year will go to odd years. I actually don't see much wrong with 12s 14s and 16s, but equally I don't think moving to odd years will result in a mass exodus either.

thewobbler

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 11, 2019, 07:20:30 PM
Tipperary is hanging onto the U12, u14, U16 for dear life. Still playing 21 this year as well. There is a sense that this convention might be the death knell and next year will go to odd years. I actually don't see much wrong with 12s 14s and 16s, but equally I don't think moving to odd years will result in a mass exodus either.

This is the odd thing about any clamour against changing the age grades; the ones who object to it cite dwindling playing numbers and player retention as major issues for their clubs, but want to retain things exactly as they are. I'm really not sure they're looking at the problem and the solution at the same time .

PMG1

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 11, 2019, 04:39:30 PM
An trim and Donegal staying with u12/14/16.minor.

Hopefully Derry will follow
From what I hear counties don't have this choice, it is going to be a Croke Park remit, every county has to have U13, U15 & U17, they can have the other grades too but must have these 3 grades