Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

smelmoth

Quote from: Rossfan on October 15, 2020, 05:29:07 PM
All SNP/Holyrood can do is put out their proposals what an Independent Scotland would look like, currency etc.
However Westminster will hardly do any deal till the vote is held and Independence wins.

That's a bit of a problem for the SNP then.

Can't see the swing voter buying an "it will be all right on the night" manifesto

Rossfan

There won't be a "night" if there isn't an Independence vote first.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Chief

Quote from: smelmoth on October 15, 2020, 05:39:58 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 15, 2020, 05:29:07 PM
All SNP/Holyrood can do is put out their proposals what an Independent Scotland would look like, currency etc.
However Westminster will hardly do any deal till the vote is held and Independence wins.

That's a bit of a problem for the SNP then.

Can't see the swing voter buying an "it will be all right on the night" manifesto

Depends how content they are with the status quo I guess.

The advantage the SNP have is that they are presenting a positive hopeful vision - something which I think people will find appealing at present.

Unionists on the other hand, will probably default to the Project Fear in the mould of Cameron/Osborne.
A promise of DevoMax / Home Rule is probably a busted flush for them now too.

Rossfan

I think the "Independence is normal" view is gaining traction and also a feeling of "Why can't our Parliament be the same as Ireland, Denmark etc" i.e run the Country.

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on October 15, 2020, 06:55:28 PM
I think the "Independence is normal" view is gaining traction and also a feeling of "Why can't our Parliament be the same as Ireland, Denmark etc" i.e run the Country.
Says the man living in the midle of Ireland.

seafoid

Quote from: michaelg on October 15, 2020, 07:02:53 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 15, 2020, 06:55:28 PM
Says the man living in the midle of Ireland.
Says the man living in the North of Ireland.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Main Street

It is a fact that a clear majority of scottish born voters  living in Scotland voted yes in the last referendum

There are too many English born living in Scotland with a vote and voting against the will of the majority. Typical English inbred imperial condescending mentality, they think they know what's better for the natives than the natives themselves.
What to do, ban them from voting unless they have tartan blood? 

Rossfan

That could go wrong as Tories want all Scots living in England/Wales/NE Ireland to have a vote in the belief that they'd be No voters.
Mind you there's an "English Scots for Yes" and even a "Celtic and Rangers for yes" groups which took part in the big marches before Covid.

clonadmad

Quote from: Main Street on October 15, 2020, 07:19:54 PM
It is a fact that a clear majority of scottish born voters  living in Scotland voted yes in the last referendum

There are too many English born living in Scotland with a vote and voting against the will of the majority. Typical English inbred imperial condescending mentality, they think they know what's better for the natives than the natives themselves.

Have a UK wide vote

You'd have an Independent Scotland in the morning

armaghniac

Quote from: clonadmad on October 15, 2020, 08:08:29 PM

Have a UK wide vote

notwithstanding the large majority against in East Antrim.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

clonadmad

Quote from: armaghniac on October 15, 2020, 08:16:34 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on October 15, 2020, 08:08:29 PM

Have a UK wide vote

notwithstanding the large majority against in East Antrim.

They'd have to vote early and often to outgun the English who want shut of the Scots

Main Street

Quote from: Rossfan on October 15, 2020, 08:07:20 PM
That could go wrong as Tories want all Scots living in England/Wales/NE Ireland to have a vote in the belief that they'd be No voters.
Mind you there's an "English Scots for Yes" and even a "Celtic and Rangers for yes" groups which took part in the big marches before Covid.
Scots living elsewhere in the UK  already have the vote in a referendum and research shows that they voted overwhelmingly against independence.
I say restrict the voting eligibility to Scot born and resident in Scotland. For instance how can you let your invader and occupier the right to vote for your nation's future?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/independence-referendum-figures-revealed-majority-5408163
'52.7 per cent of native-born Scots voted Yes, a massive 72.1 per cent of voters from England, Wales or Northern Ireland backed the Union.
And if they cast their ballots in line with the findings of the Edinburgh University study,
more than 300,000 of them will have voted No.
That's a significant number in a contest that ended with 2,001,926 votes for No and 1,617,989 for Yes.
Voters born outside the UK also rejected independence, with 57.1 per cent voting No.
'

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on October 15, 2020, 11:08:49 PM
Voters born outside the UK also rejected independence, with 57.1 per cent voting No.[/i]'

This might now be different for European born people, who might like the idea of being back in the EU.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on October 15, 2020, 11:18:19 PM
Quote from: Main Street on October 15, 2020, 11:08:49 PM
Voters born outside the UK also rejected independence, with 57.1 per cent voting No.[/i]'

This might now be different for European born people, who might like the idea of being back in the EU.
Do we presume that most of those born outside UK were born in the EU? Probably so. I'd wonder what were the voting figures for Irish born, now resident in Scotland and eligible to vote, though not counting the predictable rabid nordie unionists.

I think the SNP should go on the front foot and demand that the westminister parliament accept that in the event of a yes vote,  any Scot born shall retain the full right to British nationality should they so chose, similar to what exists for Irish people born in the 6 counties.
The Brits are supposed to care for their own.

ned

Scottish born only to get the vote! f**k that. Half of Donegal lives in Glasgow.
It's all very patronising telling people in Scotland they couldn't survive outside the union. Economically Scotland is stronger than a lot of English areas.
Also more is generated in Scotland for government coffers than is returned. Add Westminster's handling of Brexit and the Pandemic (SNP doesn't escape criticism here) and their plans to reign back a Scottish government's powers, then we are beginning to experience the right conditions for Independence. The No side has no one in Scotland capable of putting forward their argument. Labour is done and the LDs are irrelevant.