Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would ye whist

'Antrim Amateurs'

quote author=Round or stuffed link=msg=2261753 date=1711316240]
Quote from: Saffron_sam20 on March 08, 2024, 11:12:49 AM
Quote from: Round or stuffed on March 07, 2024, 07:38:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2024, 06:44:38 PM
Quote from: Round or stuffed on March 07, 2024, 05:47:30 PMwhat about division 2 and 3?

Starts 23rd/24th
who are favourites for promotion/relegation

o'Dees will win Div 3 fairly handy I think

Div 2 Lisburn for the drop and Sarsfields should win it
who stood out in the opening weekend
[/quote]
[/li]
[/list]
Quote from: Round or stuffed on March 24, 2024, 09:37:20 PM
Quote from: Saffron_sam20 on March 08, 2024, 11:12:49 AM
Quote from: Round or stuffed on March 07, 2024, 07:38:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2024, 06:44:38 PM
Quote from: Round or stuffed on March 07, 2024, 05:47:30 PMwhat about division 2 and 3?

Starts 23rd/24th
who are favourites for promotion/relegation

o'Dees will win Div 3 fairly handy I think

Div 2 Lisburn for the drop and Sarsfields should win it
who stood out in the opening weekend

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: bannside on March 24, 2024, 08:31:30 PMJordy a class act no doubt ITG and 100% agree, Conor Hand didn't put a foot wrong when he was called in. That's the danger of giving shout outs, Ryan McQuillan a baller too, great future in Saffron.

So many lads getting game time that mightnt have if a full complement was available 

As a man beside me in the stand pointed out, we finished that game without a player from Cargin Portglenone or Creggan. Who could have foreseen it?

Daniel mcnicholl came on at 72
Only being picky  ;D
Great win, mcbride scores class
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

AllStar15

Quote from: EOC1923 on March 24, 2024, 08:41:04 AMIf we ever had a football sub committee  their first job should be to reduce division 1 to 8 teams. There are so many sub standard teams in there, at least 4 of them would be in Division 3/4 in any other county and it's doing no one any favours, them or other teams that strive for better.

Explain how having 8 teams would make the county better? A nice condescending tone from a Cargin man in his ivory tower.

InnocentByStander

Quote from: AllStar15 on March 25, 2024, 08:41:03 AM
Quote from: EOC1923 on March 24, 2024, 08:41:04 AMIf we ever had a football sub committee  their first job should be to reduce division 1 to 8 teams. There are so many sub standard teams in there, at least 4 of them would be in Division 3/4 in any other county and it's doing no one any favours, them or other teams that strive for better.

Explain how having 8 teams would make the county better? A nice condescending tone from a Cargin man in his ivory tower.

8 teams playing constantly playing competitive games makes all 8 better. The other 8 teams constantly playing teams at their own level will make them better.

Milltown Row2

There's arguments for and against.

From first two games I've seen decent showings from some of the teams that should have been relegated and ones that were brought up

It's not the best scenario if I'm being honest but it's in place and the majority of clubs voted it in.

So let it pan out and let's see at end of season
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NorthAntrim

If this was later in the year after county was finished i could understand your case. In march though, not so much. Some of the newly promoted teams are countributing more county men than some of "these top 8 teams" and competing. Took 2 points off a team and ran a "top 3 team" to 2 points.

EOC1923

Agree with IBS my point exactly,
In the same vein All Star can you explain for example how Cargin/Portglenone/Creggan playing Aldergrove (a team who couldnt gain promotion out of Division 2 on their own merit) makes the county better? No offence meant to anyone in Aldergrove by the way. Forget about scorelines in March i'm taking a wider view on it. Come the championship there will some seriously one sided games

AllStar15

Quote from: EOC1923 on March 25, 2024, 09:54:58 AM

Agree with IBS my point exactly,
In the same vein All Star can you explain for example how Cargin/Portglenone/Creggan playing Aldergrove (a team who couldnt gain promotion out of Division 2 on their own merit) makes the county better? No offence meant to anyone in Aldergrove by the way. Forget about scorelines in March i'm taking a wider view on it. Come the championship there will some seriously one sided games

Arguably Aldergrove have the best claim to be playing Div 1 out of the teams that benefitted from the league changes, finishing 2nd. Point taken though. All leagues have a gulf, Antrim is no different to leagues up and down the country. I don't think it will hurt the senior championship overly, as after the group stages it's your best 8 anyway. I think it benefits the weaker teams playing against higher quality. As MR2 said, we will see how it plays out

imtommygunn

Antrim's leagues are different now though. Far far too many teams in division 1 - dunno how this was thought to be a good idea. How many other counties are like that?

Spike

not much we can do with the league structures now.  we just have to live with them and see how the year plays out.   normally the weaker teams will be hungry for points at the start of the year anyway so not much has changed but come late league or championship i would agree there could be some wallopings handed out.  we will only know at the end of the season if it needs to be readdressed.   

Important win for Antrim at the weekend. The league campaign has been fairly poor but thankfully the unanticipated gift of Offaly, Wicklow and Limerick being exceptionally tragic gave us a lifeline.

It is all about the championship, the only barometer that we have.  A good showing will confine the league campaign to the dustbin.   

outinfront

I cannot understand the league restructuring.  Many other counties have been trying to get less teams in the leagues in order to make them as competitive as possible. 

thegladiator

Quote from: outinfront on March 25, 2024, 11:21:41 AMI cannot understand the league restructuring.  Many other counties have been trying to get less teams in the leagues in order to make them as competitive as possible. 

But we here in Antrim seem to know better given the number of ulster championships & all-irelands we have in the locker.

NorthAntrim

Awful news out of Moneyglass club today

AllStar15

Quote from: NorthAntrim on March 25, 2024, 12:34:05 PMAwful news out of Moneyglass club today

Terrible! Bless the family and club, heart breaking altogether. 

paddyjohn