102 Minutes That Changed America.....

Started by full back, September 08, 2009, 08:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Anyone see this last night?

Couldnt understand how some people were more interested in recording the whole event over everything else like getting the fcuk out of the area

Was disappointed that it didnt show the 2nd plane crashing into the building (not in a morbid way) from a different perspective

NAG1

Anyone that would have had footage of the plane going into the building would have already made their money selling it to the big TV networks.

Still crazy when you look back at it now, thought the operators on the emergency lines telling people in the buildings to stay put was chilling.

lurganblue

i was disappointed by this programme to be honest. i suppose all the interesting footage of the disaster has already been shown. i did find it strange watching all the people being evacuated from building 5 with no idea that it was like a time bomb situtation with the towers about to collapse.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: lurganblue on September 08, 2009, 09:03:51 AM
i was disappointed by this programme to be honest. i suppose all the interesting footage of the disaster has already been shown. i did find it strange watching all the people being evacuated from building 5 with no idea that it was like a time bomb situtation with the towers about to collapse.

Aye. I thought there might've been new footage as well. Still very speectacular, and spooky watching the dust clouds envelope the streets.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

tyrone girl

I too thought it would have showed more though to be fair what  more could we see about that day that hasnt already been shown.
Very sad when the fella was heard saying there was man hanging out the window with a flag then he fell / jumped.

Aerlik

Some stats:

99% above the 91st and 77th floors of the towers died
99% beow these floors escaped
18,000 evacuated in 1hour 42 minutes.

There was some conjecture afterwards about the way the buildings were constructed and why they collapsed they way they did.  They were designed so that the outer walls ie. steel frame) bore the weight.  In Oz most skyscrapers have  central core around which the rest of the building is structured.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

5 Sams

The most horrific thing for me was watching the people jumping....

has anyone seen the documentary on the falling man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnA9FjvLSU

The Aristocrat Years

Doogie Browser

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 08, 2009, 10:07:23 AM
The most horrific thing for me was watching the people jumping....

has anyone seen the documentary on the falling man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnA9FjvLSU

Horrific stuff alright, last nights documentary just highlighted once again the sheer panic in NYC on that day, everyone was terrified and did not know where to seek shelter. I felt so sorry for the firefighters they did not have a chance.

ziggysego

Came across this programme by accident last night. Was just starting when I switched over to Channel 4.

Some of the footage may have been seen a million times before, but it was definitely an interesting viewing. No narrative, just the voices from the camera operators and people in the surrounding areas. Ticking down the minutes from when the first plane hit the World Trade Centre.

I agree with Norf, the footage of the dust engulfing NYC after the second tower collapsed was scary to watch and I can't imagine what it must have been like to have been there.
Testing Accessibility

the waffler

missed it any repeats u know of,was on the uss intrepid musem in new york with some of the wreckage and uniforms of the firemen spooky,the little chapel close to wtc is also worth a visit

DennistheMenace

Think it should be on Channel 4 website.

gawa316

Was watching some clips on youtube and forgot clean about WTC 7 also collapsing. Was there any reason given to this? Did it catch fire eg from falling debris and thus came to the same fate as the towers?

muppet

Quote from: ziggysego on September 08, 2009, 04:53:41 PM
Came across this programme by accident last night. Was just starting when I switched over to Channel 4.

Some of the footage may have been seen a million times before, but it was definitely an interesting viewing. No narrative, just the voices from the camera operators and people in the surrounding areas. Ticking down the minutes from when the first plane hit the World Trade Centre.

I agree with Norf, the footage of the dust engulfing NYC after the second tower collapsed was scary to watch and I can't imagine what it must have been like to have been there.

I thought it captured the horror, shock and complete hopelessness of the developing situation very well, without any obvious agenda.

It had accidental humour 'Monday night football saved my life, I should be in that building now' and irony in the reactions of those on street after who wanted to bomb lots of different countries, some of them had accents from some of the countries mentioned by others.

It also showed the firefighters walking to the buildings while other emergency officials were warning that the buildings weren't stable and were evacuating the surrounding area. Having one person or authority in charge might have saved more lives.

Well worth watching though.
MWWSI 2017

The Watcher Pat

It was the second building collapsing that confuses me. I mean there were still people looking up and filming. Once that first plane struck the building i would have been on my heels and away never mind standing about even after the first building came down.

There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Tyrones own

Thon Racist communist is probably right then so ::)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann