£terling and $ollar crashing against the €uro

Started by Donagh, January 10, 2008, 05:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Not that it's been mentioned on any of the news services yet but the great British pound has fallen to 75p to the Euro recently. Normally I would glory in HRM taking a kicking in any sphere except that I'm in the process of booking flights around Central and South America for this summers sojourn with her good self and the carriers I'm using, Air France and Iberia, are pricing their fares in Euro. Have also a number of very substantial Free State invoices to settle soon. So should I hold out as long as I can and wait on the Euro dipping again, or has sterling finally given up the ghost?

the Deel Rover

didn't realise it had dropped so much donagh. 100 sterling would cost me 136 yo yo to buy which would be 107 in old money hasn't been that good in years.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

nifan

Just sold the house so im looking to move the profit back up, so its a good time for me

Bensars

Back to columbia donagh on a fact finding mission?

Chrisowc

Farc off Bensars!  No call for that now.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Donagh

Quote from: Bensars on January 10, 2008, 06:20:17 PM
Back to columbia donagh on a fact finding mission?

Not this time Bensars. Think I have enough souvenirs from La Modelo:

ziggysego

I wonder if this was one of the seven rules that Gordon Brown was waiting on?
Testing Accessibility

Star Spangler

Quote from: Donagh on January 10, 2008, 05:08:29 PM
Not that it's been mentioned on any of the news services yet but the great British pound has fallen to 75p to the Euro recently. Normally I would glory in HRM taking a kicking in any sphere except that I'm in the process of booking flights around Central and South America for this summers sojourn with her good self and the carriers I'm using, Air France and Iberia, are pricing their fares in Euro. Have also a number of very substantial Free State invoices to settle soon. So should I hold out as long as I can and wait on the Euro dipping again, or has sterling finally given up the ghost?

It's all about interest rates at the minute.  The Bank of England's decision to leave interest rates where they are has been the main factor in pushing down the value of English money.  It's not likely to come back significantly against the Euro in the short-term.  The strengthening euro is just another nail in the coffin of the Celtic Tiger and will hit our exports signficantly.  Obviously it's good news for the UK economy, and particularly good for Northern ireland.

Tony hawks

Quote from: Star Spangler on January 10, 2008, 08:07:49 PM

It's all about interest rates at the minute.  The Bank of England's decision to leave interest rates where they are has been the main factor in pushing down the value of English money.  It's not likely to come back significantly against the Euro in the short-term.  The strengthening euro is just another nail in the coffin of the Celtic Tiger and will hit our exports signficantly.  Obviously it's good news for the UK economy, and particularly good for Northern ireland.
Spot on

stew

Quote from: Tony hawks on January 10, 2008, 11:09:09 PM

Spot on

What is this northern Ireland you speak off?

I am fecked, Bush has the dollar clean wrecked and for all four of us to come home would cost ten grand by the time you figure in flights and spending money. It is time the Brits dropped lizzeys ugly mug from their money and fully embraced the European Union. As for the tiger, tough times ahead but I doubt it will ever be as bad in the south as it once was.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

give her dixie

Donagh, hope you are taking in Argentina and Bolivia, as not only are they fantastic value for money, but the most incredible countries for scenery, and beautiful people.
Push the boat out and go to Rapu Nui (Easter Island). Mind blowing place Donagh, and I know you will love it.
Your money will go a long way there, and stay in Chile as short as time as possible as it is expensive.
Eat as much steak as you can in Argentina as it is the best I have ever eaten, and not to forget their Malbec wine as it is simply divine..................

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Gnevin

Where is the free state you speak off ? Surely a debt from 60 + years ago would of expired by now
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Zapatista

This works out good for me. Steady as she goes I say.

Gnevin

Quote from: stew on January 11, 2008, 02:55:55 AM
Quote from: Tony hawks on January 10, 2008, 11:09:09 PM

Spot on

What is this northern Ireland you speak off?

I am fecked, Bush has the dollar clean wrecked and for all four of us to come home would cost ten grand by the time you figure in flights and spending money. It is time the Brits dropped lizzeys ugly mug from their money and fully embraced the European Union. As for the tiger, tough times ahead but I doubt it will ever be as bad in the south as it once was.
They don't have to drop lizzys face from the coinage to join the euro
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Rav67

It's hardly all good news for people north of the border!  Fair enough it will help exports, but what about ordinary folk for whom the price of travelling abroad or even down south will be shocking expensive, not to mention probable inflation at home due to the increased price of imports.