£terling and $ollar crashing against the €uro

Started by Donagh, January 10, 2008, 05:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Those stations up in Muff/Dundalk etc are a joke - they charge about 10c a litre more than stations further south, I heard one of the owners trying to justify it by saying that they provide pump attendants and thus people are generally happy to pay that bit extra per litre!!  What she failed to state was that she supplies attendants because it helps throughput for the station.
Also, oil is priced in $, which as we know has been rocketing through the floor - the petrol companies tend to ignore the fact that the price of oil in € has doubled since 2001, whereas the price of oil in $ has quadrupled.

Donagh

Thanks for the feedback lads. Am not much of a gambler, so I'll be settling up as soon as.

armaghniac

Several months later the €uro is 84.42p

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

stiffler

i can see the day were it will be close to 1 euro to 1 pound in the not too distant future.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

armaghniac

it is 86p on markets now, after the €uro and London markets have closed.

Louth Exile

Any one now what the current market predictions are in the short term?? Will the euro continue to strengthen?
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

armaghniac

This is IR£=GBP1.095 which is about where is was in the great crisis of 1992. Except Ireland cannot devalue this time!
The traffic in Newry will be fierce.

Mid Mon

armaghniac

Today the €uro is £0.87755, or £1 - €1.13954.
Had we still a Punt it would be 11.5p over Sterling.
I predict some traffic in Newry in the next week or two.

SidelineKick

Have you not seen it recently? Ridiculous.  Theres hardly much point in changing sterling into yo yos anymore bloody joke.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

comethekingdom

What's the chances of the brits joining the euro any time soon now that the ass has fell out of their wonderful soverign currency?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: comethekingdom on December 10, 2008, 10:36:59 PM
What's the chances of the brits joining the euro any time soon now that the ass has fell out of their wonderful soverign currency?

It ain't finished yet!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

bailestil

sure isn't it great for us cross border workers!
every week's a pay rise!

I'm sure things will get worse before they get better, as i seems sterling is onto a major hiding in the sort term with the uk economy the way it is.
But it'll balance out again within 12-18 months.

Mario

I work at the south but im home at the weekend quite a bit, i think its great. Things were always cheaper in the north now even more so. For example i bought a pair of jeans in topman dublin yesterday, the price on the label of the jeans €55 or £35, £35 at todays rates is €39.70, how can shops like this justify jeans in the south being over €15 dearer, and the irish government want people to be patriotic, if thats the saving on one pair of jeans what are people with young familys not going to save?

Ive only recently moved to Dublin and it really annoys me how everything is so much more expensive than the north, from groceries to electronics to healtcare to clothes. Sorry for that rant, had to get it off my chest!

the Deel Rover

1000 sterling today would cost me €1185  or 933 in old punts has it ever been that bad ? 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001