Colin Lynch vs. Waterford in 1998

Started by The Wedger, August 03, 2010, 09:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wedger

I haven't seen this footage in years.
This is when Lynch went berserk at the throw in of the Munster final replay.
Hitting both Waterford midfielders (Tony Browne and Peter Queally) and even Ollie Baker - his own man!  ;D

He got suspended for an off the ball hit later on in the game, but in reality it was what he did in this clip that marked his cards.

Great memories...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsHVNjA8SfQ

Asal Mor

:D Great stuff. In fairness to the 2 Waterford midfielders they never even blinked.

Just in relation to video evidence I would agree with Jack O Connor that it's totally unfair if it's not applied consistently to every game in the championship. If your team is high profile with more cameras at your games you're more likely to pick up suspensions.

Roashter

T'was pretty mad stuff alright, and you're right both Waterford players & Baker never even flinched. I actually think that Baker probably got the hardest slap.

If my memory is correct, the thing that really rankled with Clare people though was that Lynch was suspended on the basis of testimony from "independent" witnesses who were in the stand.
There was no video evidence, and he was not reported by any of the officials.

Can you imagine Jack O'Connor's reaction then, if say the Gooch got 3 months because someone in the crowd told the Munster council that they saw something off the ball, and they then used this as justification for imposing the suspension!!

AZOffaly

I think that won us the All Ireland in 1998, more than the phantom 5 minutes. If Colin Lynch was playing, we'd have been hard pressed to beat Clare.

Man Marker

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 04, 2010, 02:30:44 PM
:D Great stuff. In fairness to the 2 Waterford midfielders they never even blinked.

Just in relation to video evidence I would agree with Jack O Connor that it's totally unfair if it's not applied consistently to every game in the championship. If your team is high profile with more cameras at your games you're more likely to pick up suspensions.

your joking me, the number 8 (Brown) danced like one of those cowboys you see in a western when the gunslinger shots bullets at his feet. Watch it a few times, its really funny