The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beano

Hard to know who will get it. In a dream world Anthony Daly!! What about someone like Conor Gleeson from Tipp?

A big effort is needed next year with our underage. I wonder from the original Setanta Coaches that brought through, Cha Dwyer, PJ scully , and the likes of Joe Campion are they still involved in the Setanta Programme?. Has it changed that much that we are not bringing through skillful hurlers??

Whats the story with our development squads? Are we just fulfilling fixture or is there actually coaching going on?

Apart from Mountrath is there much work as in proper coaching going on in the other schools?

Keyser Söze

Rathdowney Errill's Brian Young is quite highly rated and well connected. Would he be worth a shot?

It's hard to see the likes of Brendan Cummins giving up the handy media work to do a job like this.

Unfortunately nobody is going to put the work that Cheddar did into it.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Tobias

Does anyone know the reason why cheddar decided to resign?? How did he go from arranging his back room team to resigning in a few days. In his letter he had only good words to say about Geery Kavanagh and the co board. Gerry Kavanagh stated that there was no fall out and that he didn't know why cheddar had resigned.
Don't want to be too pessimistic but this could set us back further than we ever have been.

Don Draper

Quote from: Tobias on September 29, 2016, 10:11:47 PM
Does anyone know the reason why cheddar decided to resign?? How did he go from arranging his back room team to resigning in a few days. In his letter he had only good words to say about Geery Kavanagh and the co board. Gerry Kavanagh stated that there was no fall out and that he didn't know why cheddar had resigned.
Don't want to be too pessimistic but this could set us back further than we ever have been.
I suspect you're not being pessimistic, in fact, deadly accurate and possibly optimistic.

Cheddar was too much of a gentleman to say anything that could damage Laois Hurling. I think we can all read between the lines. We didn't know what we had. We will when its gone.

finbar o tool

Quote from: Keyser Söze on September 29, 2016, 08:36:47 PM
Finbar,
All I ever asked of you was what would you suggest. All you seemed able to reply was "look for more money off Croke Park" and then more "coaches etc" and then "what Merman said". (Obviously they are not exact quotes).
All I have been doing is saying that somebody who effectively campaigned on here for Cheddar to go for I would say at least the last 12 months has surely at some stage thought of a replacement?
You've told me twice to "stop making a fool of yourself"- (makes no sense in the context of our discussion btw) while you have told at least two posters that they should "stick to the football threads". I suggested Arien Delaney in the first post on Cheddar going. You don't agree with him getting it either. Again as is your entitlement. Have you posted a single suggestion as  manager? Apologies If you have and I missed it.
Nobody has asked Finbar for all the answers- just a single concrete suggestion would be useful when the poster in question has been looking for change for a long time. I don't understand how you could be chanting (metaphorically speaking!) "Cheddar out!" for 12-18 months and never even consider who'd replace him.
Finally, Finbar,you are correct in saying that I don't know that no outside people are interested. I never said that! I could retype what I actually said, but if you couldn't read it properly the first time I don't see the point!
I have no problem posting back and forth but please leave out things like "stop making a fool of yourself", "get a life", "stick to the football", "if you don't leave me alone I'll get Merman to beat you up" and all that kind of stuff.
Cheers.

Stop making a fool of yourself Keyser!  ;D

"This could set us back further than we have ever been"
Don: you're possibly being optimistic.

Ah jaysus lads, you'd swear the only man who ever knew anything about hurling just died!

What Giovanni said about cheddar was spot on.

Theres no point throwing a name out there for the sake of it if you dont know what a man is like as a coach! Seen as i HAVE to pick someone to replace cheddar or Keyser is going to have a breakdown and Merman might kick my ass, i would pick, Tom Mullally, if i could! He has great experience, and a great record, yet not too much of a big name that he would break the bank.
Thats my tuppance worth!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

finbar o tool

After all your pleading for me to give you a name, thats all i get?!  :'(

Admit it, you just googled Tom Mullally didnt you!  ;)
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Keyser Söze

It is  becoming clearer that Tool that you don't actually realise the difference Cheddar made in the past 4 years. The change he (and nobody else brought about). Even that wasn't enough.

There are clever guys cherrypicking around the club scene that wouldn't touch a low ranking intercounty job with a barge pole. I'd include a certain Mr. K. Hogan in that. Not a criticism of theirs, an observation.

If we appoint an outsider, I will be shocked if it is someone of the calibre required. Time will tell.

I am with Don here. I can see the arse falling off our senior intercounty team. I hope I am wrong

Keyser Söze

Quote from: finbar o tool on September 29, 2016, 11:22:39 PM
After all your pleading for me to give you a name, thats all i get?!  :'(

Admit it, you just googled Tom Mullally didnt you!  ;)

Hardly.
If you want to play it like this. I was pleading with you to stop talking shite. But you don't seem hectic at picking things up.

It took you 18 months to come up with a name. Well done. Take a well earned break now.

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on September 29, 2016, 11:31:14 PM
I am with Don here. I can see the arse falling off our senior intercounty team. I hope I am wrong
It will give me no pleasure to be right here. None whatsoever.

SCFC

At the end of the day we will prObably always struggle to break into the top 8 In hurling.
Somewhere between 10th and 14th seems to be where we always lie.

Tobias

Laois might be better served if cheddar was to become director for hurling in the county. Ideally this would be a full time position but I don't know whether that's possible for a number of reasons. Cheddar has given everything to the senior hurlers in the past four years while still maintaining his profession. Could he put in the same time and effort into the director of hurling role (as an amateur) if it wasn't feasible full time? It would be a big ask of the man but there's no doubting the incredible passion and love he has for his county. It's been said on many occasions but this man HAS to stay involved and he HAS to be given the support for HQ an Co. Board level to drive hurling on in the county.

Tony

Saw a headline today "Davy Fitzgerald on verge of Surprising New Appointment" .....

Got excited for a second only to find out he's on the verge of joining Wexford. 

Keyser Söze

Who is there?

Arien Delaney, Niall Rigney, Paul Cuddy, David Cuddy, Brian Young, Ken Hogan, Kevin Martin, John O' Sullivan, Kevin Martin, Joe Dooley.......
I can't think of too many more who would actually be possibilities. KK were beaten in Offaly, Martin Fogarty would hardly be interested?

Also, unless Cheddar is even more super human than I imagined, expecting him to take up a "Director of Hurling" type role, when he resigned as Senior manager because some faction (players/executive/clubs) didn't want to support him in continuing on, is a bit rich.

merman

Lots of rumours doing the rounds that John O' Sullivan is the front-runner for this.

I'd be surprised if we look outside the county and in terms of playing/coaching at a high level, O' Sullivan is arguably better matched than anyone else previously mentioned.
I'd maintain that it's the overall management team that is crucial; I'd be quite happy if he was a part of it.

portlaoisekid

I fear for laois hurling, we as a county had the chance to let cheddar put a strategic vision for the future of laois hurling in place but the cb blew it because they are muppets who don't give a sh1t about hurling in laois, we are not a duel county we are a football county where hurling is tolerated as an afterthought.We will get the cheapest possible option in now as mgr and I guarantee this time next year we will have dropped a division in hurling and won't last long in senior hurling . It breaks my heart to say it but we are are fecked and we have nobody to blame but ourselves.