Dublin Arrogance

Started by Mike Sheehy, July 01, 2013, 01:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

I haven't seen any.

However, sensors around Dublin have detected a slight swagger developing. The situation will be monitored.
Please report anything you see or hear.

Jinxy

I saw a yorkshire terrier wearing a Dublin jersey yesterday.
He kind of sneered at me as I was walking past.
No need for it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Shamrock Shore

Evening Herald has not yet produced a souvenir booklet on the 2013 Dubs.

It's too quiet...................

AZOffaly

Dinny Breen

Gnevin,Tankie, holiness nb and Shamrock Rovers fan Dublinfella #memories
#newbridgeornowhere

thejuice

I saw a horse in a Kildare jersey yesterday.

I said "why the long face?"

"Ah did ya not see the feckin' game", says he.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Main Street

Quote from: thejuice on July 01, 2013, 02:23:01 PM
I saw a horse in a Kildare jersey yesterday.

I said "why the long face?"

"Ah did ya not see the feckin' game", says he.
Kildare women are not that bad looking.

Mike Sheehy

Here is a Cluxton trying very hard to play down Dublin's hammering of Kildare in March

QuoteCluxton adamant that success will breed confidence, but not arrogance

STEPHEN CLUXTON didn't have to take a single kickout or make a solitary save, yet he offered possibly the most profound summation of Dublin's 13-point destruction of Kildare and what it all means.
Also in this section
Farney fly into final by edging out Cavan Dublin leaving rivals floored Louth next up for Lilies in qualifiers Instant Self Esteem
Feel better about yourself than ever before. Leading UK expert

This erstwhile man of few public words joined Jim Gavin at Dublin's post-match media briefing in Croke Park, even though he was confined to the role of non-playing captain for yesterday's cakewalk.

Asked if victories such as this were bound to breed confidence, Cluxton replied: "You have to make sure that it's not breeding arrogance. That it's just confidence. And if they concentrate on the bedrock which is work rate, what Jim is looking for, then I don't have a problem with that."

Enemy

Dublin were so dominant for so long against their supposed chief rivals for Leinster glory that it begged questions such as (a) could their biggest enemy be complacency from within (cue Cluxton's timely warning); (b) have they possibly peaked too early; and (c) could this setback have a devastating impact on Lilywhite morale?

On the subject of playing too well too early in the year, Gavin demurred: "I haven't met that team yet! Or managed that team yet. The guys are working very hard on the training ground, and to get that type of performance is satisfying.

"But knowing the players the way they are, they'll do a lot of inward looking now – this evening, tomorrow – and they'll review the game.

"They're driving the standards. There's a great energy amongst them.

"But they're well aware that it's only the fourth game in the National League ... I mentioned during the week, that's what we're looking at, Westmeath and Carlow later on in the summer. That's the ultimate game to get ourselves right for."

Predictably, Gavin kicked to touch when asked how this result might impact on the losers, insisting: "That's Kildare's (look-out). I can only control the controllables, and I can only control what Dublin do."

Kieran McGeeney, for his part, pronounced himself "not overly" worried by the impact of this result.

"People won't see if it has a lasting effect until next week or the week after," the Kildare boss suggested. "We were doing okay in the first half – we probably could have been a few points up if we had played a wee bit smarter football.

"But it went from bad to worse; at midfield we couldn't get a foothold on the breaks or winning primary possession. In all parts of the second half, we just couldn't seem to get our hands on the ball.

"You would probably have to feel a wee bit sorry for the defence. In one-on-one situations they were competing well, but there were just balls coming in and support runners everywhere."

Later, when asked to clarify if it was not a serious setback, McGeeney said: "I can't say that today; obviously I'd be disappointed today. That is the benchmark in Leinster for all of us who are sort of chasing Dublin. Looking at today, we have a fair bit of work to do."

Ditto Dublin, argued Gavin, whose men won at their leisure even while accumulating 17 wides and leaking two avoidable goals.

"The two goals in particular were quite sloppy, defensively that wasn't satisfying at all," he reflected. "And even up front, there was some positive play where we should have more support players. So there's still lots of work on the training ground."

But even more for Kildare, you suspect

http://www.herald.ie/sport/gaa/cluxton-adamant-that-success-will-breed-confidence-but-not-arrogance-29122191.html

Hardy

That Cluxton is always yapping about something.

Jinxy

Loves the sound of his own voice.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyCake

Shamrock Shore

He has a Ghost Talker I hear.