Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Aye Jackie Brown is a brutal film.

Went to see doctor sleep there. Really enjoyed it. The thon doll was sexy as f**k

Denn Forever

Re De Niro, really enjoyed him in Midnight Run.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Main Street

Quote from: lurganblue on November 17, 2019, 08:24:17 AM
Went to see The Irishman last night.  First off, I have read the book "I heard you paint houses" and I was very excited for this film.  A word to the wise, don't bring your lady friend to see it... they wont thank you for it.  It's slow and it is too long.  It's the first time in quite a while that I have seen people get up and leave half way through or even just fall asleep.

Having said all that, I did enjoy it.  I enjoyed the acting.  I enjoyed seeing these legends back on screen and interacting again in a mobster film.  I enjoyed seeing the story I had read come to life.  Yes, it is certainly no Goodfellas.

The killing scenes are quick, cold and brutal. Fascinating.

On a side note I thought Stephen Graham was excellent again.
The book is a direct witness and gives account to major headlines of post WW2 American history, the rise of trade unions, the enigmatic Jimmy Hoffa, the Mafia, Cuba, Castro The Bay of Pigs, Bobby Kennedy, JFK/Dallas  After the Hoffa hit, the Mafia as it was known was eventually dismembered  by the FBI. 
The Goodfellas might well be a better film even a classic, but essentially that story is just about three scúmbag gangsters with little significance in the scheme of things outside of the heist and Jimmy's partiality to gruesome murder being the solution for all ailments.

BennyCake

Quote from: ziggy90 on November 17, 2019, 10:13:46 AM
Went to see The Irishman last night.  First off, I have read the book "I heard you paint houses" and I was very excited for this film.  A word to the wise, don't bring your lady friend to see it... they wont thank you for it.  It's slow and it is too long.  It's the first time in quite a while that I have seen people get up and leave half way through or even just fall asleep.

Having said all that, I did enjoy it.  I enjoyed the acting.  I enjoyed seeing these legends back on screen and interacting again in a mobster film.  I enjoyed seeing the story I had read come to life.  Yes, it is certainly no Goodfellas.

I haven't seen The Irishman so can't comment on it but there can't be many better actors around. Everything he does is excellent. I watched a film recently called the The Man with the Iron Heart in which he played Himmler, again top-notch.

Really?! The worst has to be The Mission. Oh sweet Jesus!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyCake on November 17, 2019, 11:24:38 PM

I haven't seen The Irishman so can't comment on it but there can't be many better actors around. Everything he does is excellent. I watched a film recently called the The Man with the Iron Heart in which he played Himmler, again top-notch.

He is talking about Stephen Graham.

BennyCake

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 17, 2019, 11:26:07 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 17, 2019, 11:24:38 PM

He is talking about Stephen Graham.

Fair enough. He's shite too. Actually, I've never heard of him ;)

themac_23

Quote from: Main Street on November 17, 2019, 10:29:26 PM

The book is a direct witness and gives account to major headlines of post WW2 American history, the rise of trade unions, the enigmatic Jimmy Hoffa, the Mafia, Cuba, Castro The Bay of Pigs, Bobby Kennedy, JFK/Dallas  After the Hoffa hit, the Mafia as it was known was eventually dismembered  by the FBI. 
The Goodfellas might well be a better film even a classic, but essentially that story is just about three scúmbag gangsters with little significance in the scheme of things outside of the heist and Jimmy's partiality to gruesome murder being the solution for all ailments.

Agreed, i found the film easy to follow because id read the book and it gripped me, after i read the book a few years ago i done some research on Jimmy Hoffa and his 'disappearance' so when the film was announced i was delighted, personally i found it easy to follow and had a good idea what was going on plus i thought the acting was top class. Id say if you didnt have an idea of the background to the film and the story and were just going to see a simple gangster film then it woulda been hard to follow.

lurganblue

Quote from: themac_23 on November 18, 2019, 09:56:23 AM

Agreed, i found the film easy to follow because id read the book and it gripped me, after i read the book a few years ago i done some research on Jimmy Hoffa and his 'disappearance' so when the film was announced i was delighted, personally i found it easy to follow and had a good idea what was going on plus i thought the acting was top class. Id say if you didnt have an idea of the background to the film and the story and were just going to see a simple gangster film then it woulda been hard to follow.

Yeah I think that's going to be the problem with a lot of people.  Theyre gonna struggle with the flow and the story, not being able to enjoy the acting because of this.

theticklemister

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lurganblue on November 18, 2019, 10:25:41 AM

Yeah I think that's going to be the problem with a lot of people.  Theyre gonna struggle with the flow and the story, not being able to enjoy the acting because of this.
Are people really that stupid?! Although the narrative cuts back and forth between different time periods I thought it was done well and I haven't read any books on Hoffa.

lurganblue

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 18, 2019, 01:13:30 PM

Are people really that stupid?! Although the narrative cuts back and forth between different time periods I thought it was done well and I haven't read any books on Hoffa.

Maybe just the ladies  ;)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lurganblue on November 18, 2019, 02:10:10 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 18, 2019, 01:13:30 PM

Maybe just the ladies  ;)
:-X

RedHand88

Hotel Mumbai. Good show with plenty of tense moments.

nrico2006

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 18, 2019, 07:23:53 PM
Hotel Mumbai. Good show with plenty of tense moments.
Watched it a few weeks ago, very good.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bennydorano

Watched The Joker there and thought it was excellent. I'm not big into superhero movies, seen maybe one batman movie but really enjoyed that - maybe because it's not really a Batman type movie, that link felt incidental to me tbh, just a well told story about a spiral into madness and society's attitude.