Hurling 1/4 Final v Charity Shield Soccer - A comparison!!

Started by Bogball XV, August 14, 2007, 02:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Since we are comparing how
http://www.davesfootballblog.com/post/2007/08/13/the-most-intense-scoreless-draw-you-ever-saw/

The Most Intense Scoreless Draw You Ever Saw
August 13th, 2007 ยท 7 Comments

[You will not score... You will not score...] To all you people out there who assume that the lack of scoring equals in soccer equals a lack of excitement and intensity, I say this:

Go watch yesterday's Manchester United v. Reading match.

There was no way this match should have ended this way. Man U was clearly faster, stronger, quicker to the ball and far more creative than the Royals. Wayne Rooney outran every Reading player to the ball before he went out with a foot injury at halftime, but Sir Alex replaced him with Nani, and the Red Devils didn't miss a beat. At least 85 of the 95 minutes โ€” that includes stoppage time โ€” played were spent on Reading's half of the pitch with Man U attacking the goal relentlessly.

And they couldn't break through. Reading's back line kept getting in between the ball and the goal, and when the back line failed, goalie Marcus Hahnemann, who may have played with a broken hand, stopped everything that came at him. For 95 minutes, you kept wondering, "When is Man U going to get that goal? There's no way they Reading can keep them out, can they? Can they?"

Oh, yes, they can. The little club that could kept the ball out of the net. Suddenly, the defending Premier League champions, who are favorites to win it again, start the season with only 1 point in the standings โ€” 2 points behind Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal, who all won their matches and got 3 points. Man U is 2 points behind Sunderland today.

You can talk all you want about how much chicks dig the long ball, but tell me you wouldn't be thrilled to be there when someone pitches a no-hitter. This was that no-hitter. It probably wasn't much fun for Man U fans, but it will be a match they'll never forget.

And it ended in a scoreless draw.

Seriously, go watch that game and tell me it was boring. I double dare you.

Anyone who watched soccer (highlights even) can you say how the draw  compared to the football/hurling?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

thebandit

there can be absolutely no comparison between our games and that overhyped shite

dublinfella

Quote from: Tankie on August 14, 2007, 03:54:37 PM
Quote from: SuperSub on August 14, 2007, 03:41:08 PM
I love soccer and Gaa  and am sick and tired of people telling me im less of a Irish man or less of a gaa man because i love soccer too..

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 14, 2007, 03:20:47 PM
I absolutely agree. One of the most depressing moments of the year is when I walk into Meaghers after the All-Ireland football final and Portsmouth v. Fulham is on the telly. Sure - I eventually get into it for the winter but its a poor, poor substitute.

You can get some very very bad Gaa matches too Sligo v Cork or Kilkenny v Wexford springs to mind

I agree supersub (cant believe i am agreeing with u on anything), but this notion that the GAA is the be all and end all is just stupid, i personally have no interest in soccer but if that what people want to watch it is there own business. Most of these premiership soccer fans are a joke anyway, look at the Sunderland situation at the moment, apparently we have life long fans over here now!

But i do not see the point in getting upset about it and this notion that they are not true Irish men is a joke, has anyone ever thought that maybe the GAA let these people down by not recuiting them when they were younger? i have friends that were only ever in Croker for the first time when Ireland played France and have only watched their first GAA match with any interest this year!

what i have noticed is that the majority of the anti soccer posters have english clubs they gush about on the other forum. the vitriol on here is towords Irish soccer, as evidenced by magpie seanies bizarre rant about Sligo Rovers yesterday.

I must admit I cant understand how abusing local soccer players and the league of ireland while supporting man utd or whoever are fashionable this week makes you a better Gael. Walk into any clubhouse bar in the land tonight and the Champions League will be on.

darbyo

QuoteWalk into any clubhouse bar in the land tonight and the Champions League will be on.

Not being smart, but what CL is on tonight?

his holiness nb

Quote from: dublinfella on August 14, 2007, 06:08:11 PM
I must admit I cant understand how abusing local soccer players and the league of ireland while supporting man utd or whoever are fashionable this week makes you a better Gael

Not argueing here but did anyone actually say that? It would be a bit silly.

I dont follow soccer but cant understand why you wouldnt follow your local irish side if you did.
Maybe its because its shite compared to the premier league, I dont know.

Either way I dont care too much  8)
Ask me holy bollix

magickingdom

Quote from: darbyo on August 14, 2007, 06:12:04 PM
QuoteWalk into any clubhouse bar in the land tonight and the Champions League will be on.

Not being smart, but what CL is on tonight?

3rd qualifing round...

Rossfan

I think that bastion of Irishness - the Rangers Club from Glasgow are playing.
As for the substantive issue - any kind of a GAA game is better than most bloody soccer as far as I'm concerned.
Maybe if they only played for 60 mins i might be able to stomach it but 90 !!! aaaaargghhh >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 14, 2007, 06:13:11 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on August 14, 2007, 06:08:11 PM
I must admit I cant understand how abusing local soccer players and the league of ireland while supporting man utd or whoever are fashionable this week makes you a better Gael

Not argueing here but did anyone actually say that? It would be a bit silly.

I dont follow soccer but cant understand why you wouldnt follow your local irish side if you did.
Maybe its because its shite compared to the premier league, I dont know.

Either way I dont care too much  8)

I follow Kilkenny City and in fairness the standard isn't too high but they are the nearest thing i have to a local Leauge of Ireland soccer team.And i try to get to a good few games a year.And i use to play in their youth team many years ago
You'll Never Walk Alone.