Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Rugby. Worlds 9th most watched sport.

toby47

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 03, 2019, 12:12:40 PM

Volleyball & Table Tennis both ahead of Rugby

MoChara

I was watching some of the World Armwrestling League on youtube the other day, great entertainment its almost WWE-esque.

Devon Larratt vs Jerry Cadorette was a personal favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTo28BXFcng

BennyCake

Quote from: toby47 on April 03, 2019, 12:34:15 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 03, 2019, 12:12:40 PM

Volleyball & Table Tennis both ahead of Rugby

So is tiddlywinks.

APM

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 03, 2019, 11:19:21 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on April 03, 2019, 11:01:43 AM
Quote from: APM on April 03, 2019, 10:42:38 AM
OSQ!! Obscure Sports Quarterly!! That's the place for lesser supported sports.
ESPN 8 'The Ocho'

Is Transworld sport still on the go? Remember used to sit down and watch that on a Sat morning before the Italian football on channel 4. Used to cover some  great none main-stream sports. Maybe should have put that on the bygones thread...

Great memories! I remember watching it hoping that they would show a snippet of the championship, as they often did. Had no RTE signal in those days.  Had everything going, table tennis, badminton, plus mainstream sports in asia golf etc etc.

Then immediately afterwards, Channel 4 had coverage of the championship - Enya's Book of Day's was the theme tune.  That may have lasted only for one year - I think it was 1993.

Funny the details you can remember from your teen years!

imtommygunn

BennyCake

Quote from: APM on April 03, 2019, 01:42:16 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 03, 2019, 11:19:21 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on April 03, 2019, 11:01:43 AM
Quote from: APM on April 03, 2019, 10:42:38 AM
OSQ!! Obscure Sports Quarterly!! That's the place for lesser supported sports.
ESPN 8 'The Ocho'

Is Transworld sport still on the go? Remember used to sit down and watch that on a Sat morning before the Italian football on channel 4. Used to cover some  great none main-stream sports. Maybe should have put that on the bygones thread...

Great memories! I remember watching it hoping that they would show a snippet of the championship, as they often did. Had no RTE signal in those days.  Had everything going, table tennis, badminton, plus mainstream sports in asia golf etc etc.

Then immediately afterwards, Channel 4 had coverage of the championship - Enya's Book of Day's was the theme tune.  That may have lasted only for one year - I think it was 1993.

Funny the details you can remember from your teen years!

I think I recall watching the Meath Dublin marathon on C4 in 1991.

Jeepers Creepers

Trans World sport was a great show. The presenters voice was hypnotising.

tonto1888

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 03, 2019, 07:55:36 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 02, 2019, 05:45:46 PM
Athletics. (While people watch the olympics it isn't followed that much). e.g. what about the hill in the world XC and how old did those junior ethiopians look would mean nothing to people.

Also the pretty radical shake up of olympic qualifying times and the reduction this will have on Irish olympians is a big topic too.

Even darts is bigger!
It used to get a lot more terrestrial tv coverage which hasn't helped combined with the fact that most people are wiser now to the fact that it's a juice-fest.

I used to love watching cycling, the Tour especially so, but I've gone completely off it

David McKeown

I loved TransWorld sport.

Always wanted to try Water Polo, Olympic Handball, Kabadi and real tennis since I watched them on TransWorld sport. Must look it up again now that I know it still exists.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Eamonnca1

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 03, 2019, 04:39:45 PM

I used to love watching cycling, the Tour especially so, but I've gone completely off it

+1. I used to be obsessed with watching the Tour in the summer, I got into it around '86 when I was starting to ride the bike every day. These days I couldn't even tell you who the top riders are in the peleton. Last time I watched the Tour it was the year Landis got busted. I felt cheated out of all the hours I'd put into watching it. A total farce. I read Tyler Hamilton's book about Armstrong and I was disgusted that so many prominent people kept on believing Armstrong when it was already clear that he was lying.

Eamonnca1

I'd like to see more Bandy. Ice Hockey on a giant soccer-sized rink, 11-a-side with unlimited subs. A ball instead of a puck, and it can go out of bounds. I always thought Ice Hockey looked a bit cramped on such a small rink, Bandy looks like better craic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIl9B_L9y6I