Ciarraí V Corcaigh AISF 2008

Started by comethekingdom, August 10, 2008, 10:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deal_Me_In

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 24, 2008, 10:59:13 PM
My understanding is that Dara's ban would be up at midnight on the Saturday before the final. Serious disadvantage (for the dirty player) to be in the 2nd semi which is 3 weeks before the final! But sure hopefully Tyrone v. Wexford will be a good clean game, something is needed to restore a bit dignity to the game after today's pukefest!

This is the second time this season that O'Shea has been sent off so surely by default his ban is automatically doubled? If he was sent of for striking that is an automatic 1 month ban and min 1 game but as it is the second time is the ban not doubled (or is that if it is for the same offence, what was his first sending off for his year?)

orangeman

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on August 25, 2008, 01:12:03 PM
Quote from: tyssam5 on August 24, 2008, 10:59:13 PM
My understanding is that Dara's ban would be up at midnight on the Saturday before the final. Serious disadvantage (for the dirty player) to be in the 2nd semi which is 3 weeks before the final! But sure hopefully Tyrone v. Wexford will be a good clean game, something is needed to restore a bit dignity to the game after today's pukefest!

This is the second time this season that O'Shea has been sent off so surely by default his ban is automatically doubled? If he was sent of for striking that is an automatic 1 month ban and min 1 game but as it is the second time is the ban not doubled (or is that if it is for the same offence, what was his first sending off for his year?)

Has to be for a reapeat offence !

his holiness nb

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on August 25, 2008, 11:57:02 AM
That said the post thread on O'Mahney is a Joke, he did nothing more than some other players (Mr P O'Neill, Mr P Canavan, Mr P Jordan) but is signalled out 'cos he is from Kerry.

Way off the mark there Superdooper, I have great time for Kerry, for the most part, they conduct themselves, and play they way it should be done. Nothing against them.

I have been dissapointed in their antics this year yes, but to suggest for one second people are singling him out, and indeed only started the thread, because he is from Kerry is ridiculous.

Any player who carrier on like he did yesterday in an all Ireland semi final, would have his very own thread on here. Make no mistake about that.

Yes others dive, and all have been discussed on here, but I dont think there has been such a clear cut, caught red handed on camera, example of down and out cheating from an intercounty player in a big game as we saw yesterday. The fact that it resulted in his opponent getting the red card made it all the more memorable.

Enough of the "its coz he is from Kerry" rubbish. He deserves all the slaggings he gets.
Ask me holy bollix

orangeman

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 25, 2008, 01:39:42 PM
Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on August 25, 2008, 11:57:02 AM
That said the post thread on O'Mahney is a Joke, he did nothing more than some other players (Mr P O'Neill, Mr P Canavan, Mr P Jordan) but is signalled out 'cos he is from Kerry.

Way off the mark there Superdooper, I have great time for Kerry, for the most part, they conduct themselves, and play they way it should be done. Nothing against them.

I have been dissapointed in their antics this year yes, but to suggest for one second people are singling him out, and indeed only started the thread, because he is from Kerry is ridiculous.

Any player who carrier on like he did yesterday in an all Ireland semi final, would have his very own thread on here. Make no mistake about that.

Yes others dive, and all have been discussed on here, but I dont think there has been such a clear cut, caught red handed on camera, example of down and out cheating from an intercounty player in a big game as we saw yesterday. The fact that it resulted in his opponent getting the red card made it all the more memorable.

Enough of the "its coz he is from Kerry" rubbish. He deserves all the slaggings he gets.
[/b]

Fair play to you and well said !

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

SuperDooperCooper

I have not said O'Mahoney was right, he was wrong.
However he is the first person to get a thread dedicated to diving and is called patetic in the suject line.
So my point is this - Is O'Mahony the first ever person to have dived in Gaelic football? if so he deserves the thread, if not, why is it the first thread dedicated to a player for diving. Mr O'Neill had no trouble going down where is his thread???????

his holiness nb

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on August 25, 2008, 01:58:32 PM
However he is the first person to get a thread dedicated to diving and is called patetic in the suject line.
So my point is this - Is O'Mahony the first ever person to have dived in Gaelic football? if so he deserves the thread, if not, why is it the first thread dedicated to a player for diving. Mr O'Neill had no trouble going down where is his thread???????

Well considering this is a GAA site, and this was in a GAA match, and its the main topic of discussion on all the radio stations this morning, and it was the first incident mentioned in studio after the game, and everyone agrees his actions were pathetic, then yes, he deserves this thread.

And your claim that this is the first thread about a player diving is ridiculous, theres been loads ffs. I even remember one called "which tyrone player will do the most diving this year".
Ask me holy bollix

red hander

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on August 25, 2008, 01:58:32 PM
I have not said O'Mahoney was right, he was wrong.

First of all I acknowledge what you said about O'Mahoney, fair play ... but as some kerry posters on this board (not you) and kerry officials (Mr Walsh) and kerry gobshites (Spillane) seem to be the self-appointed guardians of the moral codes and styles of football (especially when they're beaten by Nordie ballixs), it's only to be expected there's a backlash when one of your own whiter than white sheep transgresses, considering the cack we have to listen to from the aforementioned merchants

Maiden1

Have to say that 1 of the biggest turning points of the game was Brosnan (I think), going for a goal near the end that was never on, probably thinking the match was already over, when he should have fisted a simple point.  Thought at the time they could regret it.  That save lifted Cork and the point would have made things near impossible for Cork.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

orangeman

Quote from: Maiden1 on August 25, 2008, 06:06:46 PM
Have to say that 1 of the biggest turning points of the game was Brosnan (I think), going for a goal near the end that was never on, probably thinking the match was already over, when he should have fisted a simple point.  Thought at the time they could regret it.  That save lifted Cork and the point would have made things near impossible for Cork.

The commentator said at the time, maybe he should have taken a point !

Maybe it IS Cork's year after all ??

Killian Young's shot coming off the post at the end ??? Limerick match ? Munster final ? Yesterday ?

orangeman

Both teams did not shake hands after munster final or today. so much for sportsmanship

IS THIS TRUE ?

under the bar

QuoteThat said the post thread on O'Mahney is a Joke, he did nothing more than some other players (Mr P O'Neill, Mr P Canavan, Mr P Jordan) but is signalled out 'cos he is from Kerry.

Another Kerry attempt to tar Tyrone or someone else instead of accepting their own teams failings.  No player has ever plumbed the depths that O'Mahoney has.   

Kerry have got away with striking, diving, assaulting the ref and every other way of cheating over the years due to media bias and romantic bullsh*t.   On this occasion however they cannot come up with an excuse for the cowardice on show so they start pointing fingers in other directions.  Keep it up lads, your only showing yourselves up for what you really believe in!

Kerry Mike

A very strange game, we were totally dominant for long periods but could not convert that to scores, 14 wides is a very poor return from the game. It was like a kick around for long periods and Cork's lack of intensity probably got into the Kerry minds who mentally decided not to push on and kick up a cricket score like Dublin did against Wexford, but still losing an 8 point lead for the 3rd time in a major match this year is a huge worry, in the 2 games that were tight (Galway and Monaghan) we pushed on and won but it just seems we get complacent if we get a good few points ahead.

Very disappointed that the replay is on next Sunday in Dublin, a Munster venue would have been much more suitable, it will be our 4th game this August in Croke Park, the pockets are feeling the pinch big time. And given that tickets are out already for Tyrone and Wexford there will be fewer for those expected to swell the numbers from Cork and Kerry supporters, it is a poor decision from the GAA for both counties involved.

We have it all to do again, but we are still in there but with many unanswered questions, midfield is going to be as vital as ever and our team selection needs to be correct and up to the challenge. We need a big man to try and limit Cussen but whether that is Griffin or Bohane will be decided in training. I would nearly go with Griffin in midfield with Scanlon, as I think we need Donaghy at full forward more then midfield where we might have a few more options with the likes of Brosnan to come in too. Our backs need to be as vigilant the next day and not allow any of the Cork forwards to settle, Unless Frank Murphy pulls a rule book stunt this week (and I would not put it passed him) Donnacha O'Connor will be a big loss to the rebels, but it may open the door for Masters to start, but whether he has the grunt and grind in him for a full day trying to avoid the likes of Tomas O'Se is to be seen. Alan O'Connor will probably lose out in midfield with possibly O'Neill and Canty starting with Murphy on the forty.

Up front we need to take our scores, obvious I know, but given the chances we created yesterday we should have been home and dry, Declan needs to attack more and Cooper too needs to dictate the game to Cork. Tommy Walsh needs to be more controlled and not rushing his shot options, and pass if that is a better option, he is still a major handful and Cork may possibly have Shields on the next day to take on Walsh. Bryan Sheehan and Donacha Walsh need to get to more of the dirty ball around the middle. And Donaghy needs to continue creating havoc on the edge of the square but at the same time keep his cool even when blatantly fouled as has happened him in a few games so far.

Cork still are one of the great unknowns, Crap against Limerick but pulled it our of the fire with 2 late goals to win, Crap against Kerry in the first half of the Munster Final only to pull around a deficit of 8 points and win by 5. Started like a speed train against Kildare and had the game over after 15 minutes and then just seem to lose interest and were probably lucky to get out with a win (and with all respect to Kildare they would be no world beaters). And again on Sunday once they got the first goal they seemed to switch off and left Kerry dominate for the majority of the game, except for the last 4 minutes when again 2 late goals gave them a result. They are a strange animal to comprehend but I think they may yet have a full game in them and they will come out hard the next day and will try to wind up a few of our key players in particular Donaghy and Cooper.

I wont lower myself by starting a thread condeming the diving of the Cork Captain to con the referee to get a penalty or of the antics a certain Cork midfielder to help get our midfielder sent off. But to lay all these so called cheating jibes on Kerry (as we have in the AOM thresd) is unfair in the extreme. And theres has been a lot of bad blood simmering for a few years between both sets of players, and alot of that came to the surface yesterady, lets hope the next day is free of that but I doubt it.

As for us on Sunday we were a mixed bag.

Diarmuid Murphy - caught badly for Masters goal otherwise not much he could have done with the other two goals. Kick outs good in the most part, and had no other saves to make.

Marc O'Se - held Hayes well from play and he was never a threat, solid but nothing spectacular. Gave away a soft free in first half when waiting for the ball to go over the sideline and Cork scored from this

Tommy Griffin in a surprise move started at full back and did well enough on Cussen and broke lots of ball from him holding him scoreless, in the second half most of the ball coming to Cussen came out the wing and though he was winning these, his deliveries into the square were where he should have been, except for Masters goal. I thought the delivery to Cussen was poor and he had little support upfront unlike the Munster final and maybe this was down to Kerry's covering too. Griffin will hopefully be the better for the first outing though it will be interesting if he will be needed around the middle in Darragh's absence next weekend, Maybe Bohane if fit will come in to bolster the full back line.

Tom O'Sullivan had a great first half and cleaned up a lot of the breaks around the full back line and restricted Goulding well, should have done better for Masters goal though he was impeded with a possible hand on his shoulder. Needs a repeat performance.
Tomas O'Se played a great game and cleaned up lots of ball around the middle and his back line, took a good point in the second half and showed good leadership.

Aidan O'Mahony, dealt well with Canty for most of the game but he was never his normal dominant self, missed a sitter of a point in the first half and his antics around the time of O'Connors sending off need to be removed from the game. Harse penalty against him as I think Canty took a dive.

Killian Young did very well too and got forward well on numerous occasions but had a bad wide and one at the end that hit the post when he could have won it for us.

Darragh O'Se was lording it in midfield during the first half, Cork had no answer to him with 3 different men having a cut and a few digs off him, but the red mist came down at the start of the second when he got red carded for a bit of a skelp on Pierce O'Neill, though for a big strong man O'Neill fell like a sake of rotten spuds. Both were at each other all game and Darragh should have enough experience to walk away from this kind of Cork provocation, whatever it is about O'Neill he has something to wind Darragh up enough twice now to get him sent off. In fairness the sending off sparked us into life and Donaghy when he came to midfield was really fired up and urging on his teammates. A huge loss for us the next day but if we win and he plays in the final all will be forgiven.

Seamus Scanlon had another fine game holding his own in the middle and mopping up a good few breaks in his own full back line, a big onus on him now to step up and lead the Kerry midfield for a full 70 minutes in the replay. I'd expect either Donaghy, Griffin or maybe Brosnan to partner him the next day.

Donnach Walsh got through an amount of work early on with one great catch in the middle and was unlucky his goal was pulled back for a throw, I have seen worse passes being allowed. Called ashore at half time when he again seems to fade out of games.

Declan O'Sullivan again did a huge load of work around the middle and was a big threat up front when he ran at Cork. No score though on a day when he should have been taking on some shots from distance and was taken off before our capitulation at the end.

Bryan Sheehan contributed 4 frees but was wasteful in some of the opportunities he was presented with, won some good ball but again needs to be more involved.

Colm Cooper was again involved but subdued by his high standards and should have had more scores than the 3 he got given the amount of ball coming his way.

Kieran Donaghy was our main man again, routed Derek Kavanagh for nearly every ball in the first half, took his goal well though probably off his head and scored a good point and should have had a penalty, he has been very badly treated by referees so far. When he moved to midfield he caught and broke some great ball, but seemed to fade out towards the end. He was a calming influence and pulled Tommy Walsh and Cooper out of some handbags with the Rebels at different early stages. Our attacking options were a lot less in the second half when he came out the field, maybe will start in midfield the next day, but can we do without him at full forward?

Tommy Walsh got through an amount of ball in the first half but more often than not took the wrong option, kicked a few wides and had a shot for goal when a point was the better option, needs to find his fellow forwards and not be so greedy on the ball, still a big handful for any team, if he starts at full forward he will have to be involved more as a team player the next day and it will be a huge ask for him to lead the attack.

Of the subs Eoin Brosnan won a few balls, scored one point and should maybe have tapped over his goal chance instead of going for glory but Quirke saved well. Darren O'Sullivan seemed to instil danger every time he got the ball and kicked a fine score, a possible starter in the corner if Donaghy is moved out the field the next day. Sean O'Sullivan made little contribution except for a ridicules attempt of an overhead point, Cork got a score from the resultant clearance which kick started their revival.

Some good performances but many again need to up the ante in their respective battles and without the motivational leadership of Darragh O'Se we need to get on top again in the middle sector with others leading the way . Lets hope after a hectic August as we head into our 4th game in 5 weekends we still have something left in the tank as I can't see Cork being so poor again.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

under the bar

QuoteNo one is taking your bait so be off and do you homework for school tomorrow.

Away and have your usual wet-dream about being from Armagh....

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 25, 2008, 07:38:36 PM
I wont lower myself by starting a thread condeming the diving of the Cork Captain to con the referee to get a penalty or of the antics a certain Cork midfielder to help get our midfielder sent off. But to lay all these so called cheating jibes on Kerry (as we have in the AOM thresd) is unfair in the extreme. And theres has been a lot of bad blood simmering for a few years between both sets of players, and alot of that came to the surface yesterady, lets hope the next day is free of that but I doubt it.

The penalty was debatable (and harsh on Kerry in light of Donaghy being denied a stonewall peno in the 1st half) but I wouldn't label Canty as conning the referee, O'Mahony only had to stand his ground, the lunge he made left the opportunity for Canty to barrel into him, I'd say most referees would have given it to be honest.

Regardless of whatever provocation O'Sé was getting from O'Neill, after the Munster final you think he would have had more sense than to clock the player in front of the ref, he didn't need any help from O'Neill bar him leaving his face in the same spot long enough for Dara to lay the blow.

There is no doubt that these two teams have played each other far too many times the last few years leading to the constant bad blood in the matches between them, Kerry are 10 points a better team than Cork though and I expect them to win the replay by 6 or 7 but ye Kerry lads will have to face up to the fact that a few of yer players let ye down badly with their antics yesterday, I don't think it's that unfair to highlight it as such.