Paddy Bradley gets off suspension!!! big shock

Started by gander, May 30, 2007, 11:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

'Tyroneman, as usual the preciuosness of Tyrone people comes to the fore'

As usual, Will's hatred of all things Tyrone comes to the fore ... count 'em ... TWO ... not one ... TWO!

Jinxy

Whatever it takes lads, whatever it takes. ::)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ExiledGael

Don't see how you can castigate Bradley for going against the GAA.
The DRA is part of the GAA which he was entitled to go to.
The fault lies with the GAA rulebook completely, why wouldn't he appeal to the correct channels

It's a joke, but that's the GAA disciplinary process  :-\

Will Hunting

Quote from: red hander on May 30, 2007, 03:50:54 PM
'Tyroneman, as usual the preciuosness of Tyrone people comes to the fore'

As usual, Will's hatred of all things Tyrone comes to the fore ... count 'em ... TWO ... not one ... TWO!
"TWO" what?

And could you also please point out to me where on this thread I have displayed a "hatred of all things Tyrone"?

6th sam

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 30, 2007, 04:03:53 PM
Don't see how you can castigate Bradley for going against the GAA.
The DRA is part of the GAA which he was entitled to go to.
The fault lies with the GAA rulebook completely, why wouldn't he appeal to the correct channels

It's a joke, but that's the GAA disciplinary process  :-\

I agree wholeheartedly-how can you blame a player in trying every angle to get his suspension lifted-we would all do the same in similar circumstances.
However,it seems every time a ruling is challenged on a technicality,the defendant gets off....surely the committees who apply the rules ,either don't follow proper procedure,or the rules are not watertight enough to prevent such fiascos-.The GAA needs to address it's disciplinary procedures urgently---perhaps Fergal Logan is the man to consult in getting these rules sorted out.
On the subject of Fergal,I think it's ridiculous that people slate him for using his professional expertise to represent his clients!
The problem lies with the GAA  disciplinary procedures or committees being open to legal challenge.

Maximus Marillius

This will interest you, in the past yaer approximately 25 cases have come befroe the DRA, only 6 have been successfull in winning there appeals including Bradleys. :o :o

neutral

I think if paddys inocent hes entitled to get off.  But the same Derry men seem to be criticising Tyrone for getting Paddy Bradley off.  The GAA needs to employ feargal Logan to ringfence the rules and leave them watertight.  That is and has been the obvious thing to do for over 2 years. As for the DRA they dont crush cases for nothing.   

AZOffaly

QuoteI agree wholeheartedly-how can you blame a player in trying every angle to get his suspension lifted-we would all do the same in similar circumstances.

I completely disagree with this, unless you are saying that he shouldn't have been suspended in the first place. In my opinion, if you are suspended because of something you did on the field (or off it), then you should be man enough to serve your suspension. This constant looking for loop holes is sickening to be honest.

The reason a lot of these cases are being upheld is that the rule book was written in a time when people took their punishment. Nowadays you'd want to be an absolute legal genius to formulate rules and suspensions that would be above challenge. The phrase the 'spirit of the law' is obviously dead and gone in a lot of places in the GAA.

In my view, and this has been mooted before, the GAA would be better off taking the gate receipts for two All Ireland finals and spending it on a crack team of barristers, ex-players and administrators and totally re-writing the rulebook in a totally, totally unambiguous way.

DUBSFORSAM1

Just bring in a system like in the AFL...

Categories of indiscipline get certain punishment points....the points add up to equate to a suspension...acceptance leads to a reduction in points....appealing and losing leads to an increase in suspension....

and categorically no appeals allowed on minor technicalities - it totally demeans the spirit of the GAA and is as close to a professional approach as you can get for an amateur game...

ExiledGael

Agree the systems needs overhaul, wherther we steal that from another sport I'm not sure.
The thing with Bradley was that he didn't feel the punishment was fair or relative to what he done, and very few people actually know thw truth of that, despute all the rumours

Hardy

Dubsforsam's suggestion is the only thing that will work. As long as there are rules there will be loopholes. And as long as there are loopholes there will be lawyers - of the GAA variety or otherwise. I deplore the loophole/appeal mentality, but that won't make it go away. And that's not to excuse the shambolic procedures and frequent disregard or ignorance of procedure that makes it even easier for the loophole-seekers.

So the only thing for it is to provide a disincentive to appeal. We know it works – see the civil law for road traffic offences. Double the original penalty for any failed appeal and that will be pretty much the end of it.

screenmachine

if pb's suspension has been 'delayed' as such as it has been portrayed in the media does this mean that he could potentially have to serve the rest of his suspension later on in the year? could the possbility then arise that he could miss any of the latter stages of the club championship if the ban was reimplemented at around the times of say the quarter final or semi final? this would be a nightmare I imagine for PB if he could now play a few of the league stage championship matches but then potentially miss the qf or sf?
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Armagh Exile

This decision makes a laughing stock of the Ulster Council as well as the Derry Competitions Control Committee.
Hopefully the referee will also seek legal advise on his alleged assault.

Mike Sheehy

Quotecount 'em ... TWO ... not thirty-four ... TWO!

well, its good to see you awknoledge your place in the world Red hander

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 30, 2007, 04:54:40 PM
QuoteI agree wholeheartedly-how can you blame a player in trying every angle to get his suspension lifted-we would all do the same in similar circumstances.

I completely disagree with this, unless you are saying that he shouldn't have been suspended in the first place. In my opinion, if you are suspended because of something you did on the field (or off it), then you should be man enough to serve your suspension. This constant looking for loop holes is sickening to be honest.

The reason a lot of these cases are being upheld is that the rule book was written in a time when people took their punishment. Nowadays you'd want to be an absolute legal genius to formulate rules and suspensions that would be above challenge. The phrase the 'spirit of the law' is obviously dead and gone in a lot of places in the GAA.

In my view, and this has been mooted before, the GAA would be better off taking the gate receipts for two All Ireland finals and spending it on a crack team of barristers, ex-players and administrators and totally re-writing the rulebook in a totally, totally unambiguous way.
And the exact same thing will happen with the hurlers that were fighting at the weekend as well. Its the same old story year after year..but the GAA will always be run by the "we have to look after our lads mentality,no matter what they have done. There is no will to change anything except set up another toothless committee or two.