Stevie McDonnell - Leave Me Alone

Started by ONeill, February 13, 2007, 07:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: realredhandfan on February 13, 2007, 11:00:41 AM
Outrageous behaviour from the tangerine men.. to claim personal abuse isnt personal is almost as bad as the initial offences.

Yer hole.  Personal abuse is directed at you because of who you are not your actions.  Any abuse I heard directed at him was because he was not passing, shooting wides or dropping balls short anyone else in the same boat would have got similar criticism.  

realredhandfan

well your big mate Stevuie would tend to disagree?  If I had been in the crowd the day young Mark Harte got booed I would have shut anyone up in the vicinity in no uncertain terms.  My principles of social responsibility mean that I can see the  actions of other Tyrone fans as a regrettable slur on my countys good name.  Are you washing your hands of this Benny.  Is this another North V South Armagh can of worms being opened up?  You are lucky to have O Donnell in Armagh.   

bennydorano

What I experienced was not personal abuse, it was criticism.  Personal abuse is unacceptable, but criticism isn't, that's my point.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: realredhandfan on February 13, 2007, 11:18:01 AM
well your big mate Stevuie would tend to disagree?  If I had been in the crowd the day young Mark Harte got booed I would have shut anyone up in the vicinity in no uncertain terms.  My principles of social responsibility mean that I can see the  actions of other Tyrone fans as a regrettable slur on my countys good name.  Are you washing your hands of this Benny.  Is this another North V South Armagh can of worms being opened up?  You are lucky to have O Donnell in Armagh.   
With regard to young Harte what sections of the crowd did that day was totally unacceptable realredhandfan. However, not that it makes any real difference (I suppose), he was not booed.

red hander

Some Armagh 'fans' have very short memories ... must be Buckfast damage to the brain cells.  All I'll say is I wish McDonnell was from Kileeshill or Kildress rather than Killeavey

SlimShady

exactly. to abuse a player who has done what McDonnell has for Armagh is disgraceful.

Scumbags.

realredhandfan

You will find the same people that were slagging him would have been the first to put him in their shoulders when he scored the winning goal.  Benny did youse want him to stop the decision making, he might not have took the goal.  You have to be patient with class forwards,  at times they will get it wrong, but they must be allowed to keep trying.  Thats the way it is with Mulligan in Tyrone we know he'll come good some time after July.

full back

Quote from: SlimShady on February 13, 2007, 11:35:19 AM
exactly. to abuse a player who has done what McDonnell has for Armagh is disgraceful.

Scumbags.

Correct Slim, but not all supporters, so be careful the way you word it

ONeill

The 'abuse' thing doesn't bother me. You get that sort of craic at every level in most sports. We all love being critical. However, why did he go to the papers crying about it? Why is he even giving the critics airtime? You have to wonder what his state of mind is.  I thought the Louth comments were childish.

Ironically, the article below was about Dooher's return to fitness. Now, there's a man who suffered plenty of abuse before the first All-Ireland from some supporters. However, Brian never batted an eyelid, worked away and got his rewards.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Armamike

A serious amount of shit stirring on this thread. Slim, RRRHF etc are having some craic with this one.

McDonnell's probably the hardest working player on the Armagh team - always gives 100%. He was having a stinker of a game on Sunday though, nothing went right for him. From where i was, I never heard any personal abuse or abuse per se thrown at him.  I think he's overreacting a bit. Ideally i think he should be rested for a game or 2  to recharge the batteries -he has been a constant for Armagh in the mckenna cup, league and championship in recent years, while others around him have had time off. At the moment though Armagh can't afford to leave him out.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armamike

QuoteWe all love being critical. However, why did he go to the papers crying about it? Why is he even giving the critics airtime? You have to wonder what his state of mind is.  I thought the Louth comments were childish.

O'Neill - i think it's a case of too much football for him. He looked very narked and agitated the whole game on Sunday. I just think he needs a breather.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armagh4SamAgain

'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

realredhandfan

In fairness O Neill I think O Donnell  has 4 options here,
1) he quits the game - cant take heat turn off the heater and all that... not satisfactory
2) he has a Trevor Brennan style moment jumps the fence, and bates the head off a few orangemen.... not satisfactory
3) he scores a last minute match winning goal and say nothing to those of his own support who gave him the grief......it wouldnt do me either...
4) he scores a last minute match winning goal and says it as he sees it in the local press.  I think the fairest outcome.  It gives the player a recourse. 

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ONeill on February 13, 2007, 11:53:58 AM
The 'abuse' thing doesn't bother me. You get that sort of craic at every level in most sports. We all love being critical. However, why did he go to the papers crying about it? Why is he even giving the critics airtime? You have to wonder what his state of mind is.  I thought the Louth comments were childish.
Ironically, the article below was about Dooher's return to fitness. Now, there's a man who suffered plenty of abuse before the first All-Ireland from some supporters. However, Brian never batted an eyelid, worked away and got his rewards.
You have a point O'Neill, however, I think the significant part of that article is the mention of his family and the evidence coming from them. Mickey Harte also mentioned in his book how his family were upset by comments in the crowd - I think in the McKenna Cup final in 2003 when Tyrone lost to Monaghan. I think that is what is causing him the frustration to turn to the papers and then everything else is spilling out. I was at a recent game when some sections of the crowd were pleading with Sean Cavanagh to release/pass the ball earlier and stop taking too much out of it. Now like McDonnell, Sean Cavanagh doesn't owe anything to his County but yet some the fans in the stands will be open with their opinions. Players can take that but it is extra difficult when you are trying to protect your family too.    

Over the Bar

It's understandable why it happens as McDonnell is Ireland's No.1 at seeking adoration from the crowd.   Blowing kisses and pointing at the number of his back after scoring only leaves him open to criticism from the crowd when he has a stinker.  You can't have it both ways Stevie!   

Secondly the truly great players will say they dont even hear the crowd and if they do, they ignore it and it doesnt affect their game.