Donegal v Tyrone, Sunday Aug 5, Ballybofey

Started by Ball Hopper, July 21, 2018, 11:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Yeah I agree - I was just saying what i would like to see but realize that Harte won't be abandoning tactics as he's defo not the maverick type alah Jim McGuinness v Dublin 2014.

BennyHarp

Quote from: WT4E on July 24, 2018, 02:28:50 PM
Yeah I agree - I was just saying what i would like to see but realize that Harte won't be abandoning tactics as he's defo not the maverick type alah Jim McGuinness v Dublin 2014.

Having said that, Mickey is not adverse to pulling a few rabbits out of the hat for one off games...McMahons v Twin Towers, Canavan on off on in 2003, Cormac full back v Down. I would not be surprised to see Colm utilised in a very different role if we meet Dublin in an AI final, maybe pushed up to 11 or 14. They have his role sussed but Colm still has a huge role to play as a sweeper against Donegal.
That was never a square ball!!

tiempo

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 24, 2018, 02:17:33 PM
I used that term in a tongue in cheek kind of way, btw. However, he's an essential part of Harte's gameplan and I'd eat Brian Dooher wearing a hat if Harte drops him.

Thats 2 halves of the problem. Substandard player, substandard system.

Matty Donnelly close to entering the same bracket, he's gone so far back its hard to watch, he doesn't actually have a position now worth speaking of. Just does his own thing which generally amounts to slowing the team down and let the opposition get set for an attack which will be damn near telegraphed in its execution the buildup play is so slow at times.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: tiempo on July 24, 2018, 02:38:47 PM
I used that term in a tongue in cheek kind of way, btw. However, he's an essential part of Harte's gameplan and I'd eat Brian Dooher wearing a hat if Harte drops him.

Matty Donnelly close to entering the same bracket, he's gone so far back its hard to watch, he doesn't actually have a position now worth speaking of. Just does his own thing which generally amounts to slowing the team down and let the opposition get set for an attack which will be damn near telegraphed in its execution the buildup play is so slow at times.

God help 90 per cent of the counties in Ireland if Tyrone are playing substandard players in substandard systems.

Someone should tell the Dubs as they are playing a very similar system. Given the Dubs are one of the best teams of all time you'd have expected a more convincing victory on Saturday from them against a team with substandard players playing in a substandard system.

trueblue1234

Quote from: tiempo on July 24, 2018, 02:38:47 PM

I really struggle to see how anyone has CC as substandard. He's been the heart of the Tyrone team for the last few years and when he packs it in will be a huge loss. His reading of a game is fantastic as is his work rate and physicality. While people might want Tyrone to play a bit more attacking football, lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

J70

RedHand88

Quote from: tiempo on July 24, 2018, 02:11:25 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 24, 2018, 01:46:33 PM
Still can't believe some lads would drop McCann. Yeah, he may not be the best defender in the world but he is one of our main strike runners that break through defences and pick up scores or make opportunities for others. He's the sort of player tailor made for the Donegal game as they'll have a tight defensive screen around their own 45.

Strike runner is a nothing term, at national level he's an average wing back, and I mean distinctly average in both defence and attack. We played far better without him in the last few rounds of the league. But he's a Gaelic football athlete as Mickey would say and that matters more these days. Tyrone crossbar challenge the other year Aidan McCrory introduced himself as a running back. Run Forrest run.

McCann regularly puts in a hard shift and is never found wanting. Fantastic at breaking through lines of defence and popping up for the odd score.

Fuzzman

What's the story lads with young Mulgrew? Is he out for the season?

This looks to be Tyrone's make or break match and its hard to know where we stand.
Last year we hammered them 1.21 to 1.12 in Clones and they had a full team with both McBrearty and Murphy being contained quite well only scoring 3 from play between them.
Of course we know its a different story in Ballybofey but I think this Tyrone team have showed the last two years that they no longer fear Donegal and have got over the mental block that Donegal had their number.
The Dubs I've talked to certainly rate Tyrone better than Donegal this year despite but still lacking a top quality forward.

Tyrone's last 15 mins against the Dubs certainly gives the team a great boost of self belief as that's the stage of the game the Dubs usually blow teams away but they were hanging on by a thread and were very glad to hear the final whistle.

Some of the Tyrone squad and fans will feel we owe Declan Bonner a bit of payback for his antics in the minor match a few years back and there certainly seems to be a lot of bad feeling between the two teams and sets of fans in recent years. Both teams will feel that the winner of this avoid Dublin in the semi and have a good chance of making it through to an AI final. Of course, Kerry, Galway and Monaghan might have a lot to say about that.

There has been a good few changes in the panel or starting team since these 2017 teams

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-01, '45); A McCrory, R McNamee, P Hampsey (0-02); T McCann (1-01), C McCarron, P Harte (0-02); C Cavanagh, C McCann; K McGeary (0-03), N Sludden (0-04), D Mulgrew (0-01); M Bradley (0-02), S Cavanagh (0-1, f), M Donnelly (0-02).

Subs: D McCurry for Bradley (44 BC), R Brennan for Mulgrew (46), D McClure (0-01) for C McCann (50), R O'Neill (0-01) for S Cavanagh (56), C McShane for McGeary (56), J McMahon for Harte (70)

Donegal: MA McGinley; P McGrath, N McGee, EB Gallagher; R McHugh, F McGlynn, E Doherty; J McGee, C Thompson; M Carroll (1-0), M Reilly (0-01), J Brennan; P McBrearty (0-06, 4F), M Murphy (0-03, 2 '45), E McHugh..

Subs: K Lacey for J McGee (31), M McElhinney for McGlynn (h-t), H McFadden (0-01) for Brennan (h-t), C Mulligan for Thompson (38). K Gillespie for Doherty (46), M Langan (0-01) for E McHugh (59)

Referee: D Gough (Meath).

Is Neil McGee totally fit?

http://www.the42.ie/tyrone-donegal-score-updates-3450526-Jun2017/
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0618/883661-tyrone-v-donegal/

J70

Well if the Micheal Carroll issue is going to be dragged up again, I'm sure Declan won't be found wanting and will have plenty to say in his own defense, as he did at the time. It's hard to prove sledging allegations either way, in any circumstance. I would think the best thing would be to let sleeping dogs lie. I don't remember much about it last year when Carroll actually played ( he's withdrawn from the Donegal panel for this season).

omaghjoe

Mine the days when him and Greg Blaney used to be vying for the title of ugliest footballer?

Throw in contenders like Tony Scullion, Martin O'Connell and I think it was fair to say it was a golden era for ugly footballers

southtyronegael

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 24, 2018, 11:13:13 PM
Mine the days when him and Greg Blaney used to be vying for the title of ugliest footballer?

Throw in contenders like Tony Scullion, Martin O'Connell and I think it was fair to say it was a golden era for ugly footballers
they played lovely football though.

Aaron Boone

It'll be kicks from 30m line to decide this one, after extra-extra time. The town end will surely favor Donegal.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 24, 2018, 04:09:38 PM
What's the story lads with young Mulgrew? Is he out for the season?

This looks to be Tyrone's make or break match and its hard to know where we stand.
Last year we hammered them 1.21 to 1.12 in Clones and they had a full team with both McBrearty and Murphy being contained quite well only scoring 3 from play between them.
Of course we know its a different story in Ballybofey but I think this Tyrone team have showed the last two years that they no longer fear Donegal and have got over the mental block that Donegal had their number.
The Dubs I've talked to certainly rate Tyrone better than Donegal this year despite but still lacking a top quality forward.

Tyrone's last 15 mins against the Dubs certainly gives the team a great boost of self belief as that's the stage of the game the Dubs usually blow teams away but they were hanging on by a thread and were very glad to hear the final whistle.

Some of the Tyrone squad and fans will feel we owe Declan Bonner a bit of payback for his antics in the minor match a few years back and there certainly seems to be a lot of bad feeling between the two teams and sets of fans in recent years. Both teams will feel that the winner of this avoid Dublin in the semi and have a good chance of making it through to an AI final. Of course, Kerry, Galway and Monaghan might have a lot to say about that.

There has been a good few changes in the panel or starting team since these 2017 teams

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-01, '45); A McCrory, R McNamee, P Hampsey (0-02); T McCann (1-01), C McCarron, P Harte (0-02); C Cavanagh, C McCann; K McGeary (0-03), N Sludden (0-04), D Mulgrew (0-01); M Bradley (0-02), S Cavanagh (0-1, f), M Donnelly (0-02).

Subs: D McCurry for Bradley (44 BC), R Brennan for Mulgrew (46), D McClure (0-01) for C McCann (50), R O'Neill (0-01) for S Cavanagh (56), C McShane for McGeary (56), J McMahon for Harte (70)

Donegal: MA McGinley; P McGrath, N McGee, EB Gallagher; R McHugh, F McGlynn, E Doherty; J McGee, C Thompson; M Carroll (1-0), M Reilly (0-01), J Brennan; P McBrearty (0-06, 4F), M Murphy (0-03, 2 '45), E McHugh..

Subs: K Lacey for J McGee (31), M McElhinney for McGlynn (h-t), H McFadden (0-01) for Brennan (h-t), C Mulligan for Thompson (38). K Gillespie for Doherty (46), M Langan (0-01) for E McHugh (59)

Referee: D Gough (Meath).

Is Neil McGee totally fit?

http://www.the42.ie/tyrone-donegal-score-updates-3450526-Jun2017/
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0618/883661-tyrone-v-donegal/

Are you letting a late Tyrone rally cloud your judgement to how Dublin controlled the majority of that game last weekend? One of the best things about Dublin is they don't do panic and they played their now common keep ball and got the last score of the game to win by 3 points. Donegal lost by 5 points the week before if that game was played in Ballybofey the margin may have been closer.

I don't think I'd be looking back to last year when judging Donegal either. They were hammered by Galway would the same happen this summer? highly unlikely I would think.

cadhlancian

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 25, 2018, 01:22:38 AM
It'll be kicks from 30m line to decide this one, after extra-extra time. The town end will surely favor Donegal.
If it's a draw, Tyrone go through....