New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 24, 2022, 11:36:06 AM
Quote from: laoislad on January 22, 2022, 07:54:20 PM
Quote from: joebloggs on January 22, 2022, 06:59:21 PM
Have three kids under 5. How have you all managed it vehicle wise? Don't want to go for a people carrier to be able to fit three child seats but the larger jeeps with sufficient isofix etc are all crazy money
People carrier is really the only solution imo. They aren't pretty or great to drive but they are functional and practical which really is what you need.I've 3 boys.
We have a Renault Scenic as the family car and the 3 all fit in the back easily,pretty large boot in it also.
Look it's only for a few years. My older two are getting to the stage where they will be too big for car seats soon so when we change that car we can get something a little less boring!

Yeah people carrier is the only way. I've been through my share.
I'd avoid the Renaults (Espace/Scenic), they give serious engine and electrics issues.

We've had a Renault Scenic for 5 years and it's never given an ounce of trouble, wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. The Renault 1.5dci engine is one of the most reliable engines there is. Nothing fancy about it but it just works.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

johnnycool

we stumbled across a Kia Carens 7 seater and I literally mean that. We've looked at Santa Fe's and the big Kia Sportage which my wife didn't like as it was "too big" and I just happened to ask the sales rep if they'd any other 7 seaters and it turned out I was leaning against it..

They aren't overly big but I've put all 5 in mine regularly for long enough trips with a little storage and its fine, decent enough fit out on the "4" version, not overly powerful but no big issues in the 60K miles I've put on it to date.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: laoislad on January 24, 2022, 11:53:08 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on January 24, 2022, 11:36:06 AM
Quote from: laoislad on January 22, 2022, 07:54:20 PM
Quote from: joebloggs on January 22, 2022, 06:59:21 PM
Have three kids under 5. How have you all managed it vehicle wise? Don't want to go for a people carrier to be able to fit three child seats but the larger jeeps with sufficient isofix etc are all crazy money
People carrier is really the only solution imo. They aren't pretty or great to drive but they are functional and practical which really is what you need.I've 3 boys.
We have a Renault Scenic as the family car and the 3 all fit in the back easily,pretty large boot in it also.
Look it's only for a few years. My older two are getting to the stage where they will be too big for car seats soon so when we change that car we can get something a little less boring!

Yeah people carrier is the only way. I've been through my share.
I'd avoid the Renaults (Espace/Scenic), they give serious engine and electrics issues.

We've had a Renault Scenic for 5 years and it's never given an ounce of trouble, wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. The Renault 1.5dci engine is one of the most reliable engines there is. Nothing fancy about it but it just works.
The one I had give no bother at all from new until about 120k miles and then all of a sudden everything went wrong with it. It was a company car so they just scrapped it. Was just over 4 years old too. I liked it to be fair, it drove well up to that point. We went to France with it a couple of times.

J70

Quote from: johnnycool on January 24, 2022, 12:05:28 PM
we stumbled across a Kia Carens 7 seater and I literally mean that. We've looked at Santa Fe's and the big Kia Sportage which my wife didn't like as it was "too big" and I just happened to ask the sales rep if they'd any other 7 seaters and it turned out I was leaning against it..

They aren't overly big but I've put all 5 in mine regularly for long enough trips with a little storage and its fine, decent enough fit out on the "4" version, not overly powerful but no big issues in the 60K miles I've put on it to date.

Its amazing how car sizes are perceived in Ireland and in the US.

In the US, the Sportage is classed as a compact (i.e. small) SUV.

Kia sells the larger Sorrento here, which would be classed as mid-size, similar to the Santa Fe.

Then they have the even larger Telluride, which amazingly is also mid-size by the ludicrous US standards (its a bloody big vehicle). Gets rave reviews BTW.

Cost obviously has a lot to do with it.

I have a Subaru Outback, a big enough car by most sensible standards, also because I have kids. If I was in Ireland, I wouldn't be able to afford it in a million years. The base engine version of the model I have, which is the only engine they offer in Ireland, costs 61K euros (roughly 70K dollars). I got the turbo version here for about 40K dollars.

Itchy

Quote from: J70 on January 24, 2022, 12:58:36 PM

Kia sells the larger Sorrento here, which would be classed as mid-size, similar to the Santa Fe.

Then they have the even larger Telluride, which amazingly is also mid-size by the ludicrous US standards (its a bloody big vehicle). Gets rave reviews BTW.

I have a Subaru Outback, a big enough car by most sensible standards, also because I have kids. If I was in Ireland, I wouldn't be able to afford it in a million years. The base engine version of the model I have, which is the only engine they offer in Ireland, costs 61K euros (roughly 70K dollars). I got the turbo version here for about 40K dollars.

I assume he meant the Sorrento as it as you say is the equivalent of the Sante Fe. They sell them here in Ireland too and they are a fine bus. In fact, if you try to buy a new one you will be waiting they are so popular and there are supply issues.

johnnycool

Quote from: Itchy on January 24, 2022, 01:02:45 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 24, 2022, 12:58:36 PM

I assume he meant the Sorrento as it as you say is the equivalent of the Sante Fe. They sell them here in Ireland too and they are a fine bus. In fact, if you try to buy a new one you will be waiting they are so popular and there are supply issues.

Yes, it's the actual Sorrento I meant, Sportage isn't 7 seater IIRC..

Milltown Row2

Had Renault Scenic when our kids were young, plenty of space and a decent motor, but blew up on the motorway, maybe 100k miles, not sure I never did drive it that much. I got the Santa Fe after that for a couple of years before selling it on, great  car and plenty of space for kit hurls and whatever else was shoved into it, once something went wrong with it I fixed it and sold it for the same amount I paid for it.

I just lease cars now for 3 years, less hassle.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general

Quote from: Aristo 60 on January 24, 2022, 11:22:59 AM
Quote from: Rois on January 22, 2022, 10:39:05 PM
Q5 has isofix in the front passenger seat.

Interesting Rois, interesting  :D

As does the A6 Avant

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general on January 25, 2022, 10:00:15 AM

As does the A6 Avant

What ever happened to just putting the wee ones on your knees? I remember leaving the kids (back in the day) at my parents, leaving the car seat and every time I seen them in the car they were always on my mums lap!! Wife was going crazy on the inside but all nice on the outside lol!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Quote from: general on January 25, 2022, 10:00:15 AM

As does the A6 Avant
I went to see one of those but my friend laughed at me and said it was like a Ghostbusters car (it was white), which put me off. 

GJL

My advise would be to stay clear of the French manufacturers. Pay the extra and go German -- you will have less trouble.

JimStynes

Quote from: GJL on January 25, 2022, 10:39:32 AM
My advise would be to stay clear of the French manufacturers. Pay the extra and go German -- you will have less trouble.

Be careful what models though. I think the likes of  Merc A class is only properly Mercedes made in 2litre models and above that.  1.5l are apparently a Renault engine.

johnnycool

What's your take on the new Landrovers GJL?

Hearing of poor build quality on the Discos and Evoques. What's your experience of them?

sensethetone

Quote from: johnnycool on January 25, 2022, 11:11:19 AM

What's your take on the new Landrovers GJL?

Hearing of poor build quality on the Discos and Evoques. What's your experience of them?

I've heard that said about land rover for years but there's so many of them about. Would mind one of them or the Q5 or Bmw X3.

gallsman

The Peugeot SUVs are great, reliable cars. Have a couple of friends who have had the 3008 and the 5008 without a word of complaint.

Having bought a house in the sticks over here we needed a second car for a runaround. Couldn't believe the second hand market. A 6 year old Leon with 100k km on it would have cost 12-14 grand. Bought a brand new Kamiq on PCP instead to go with the Karoq. Very happy with it so far.