Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: Lloyd p on December 21, 2021, 06:50:09 PM
Can anyone post full down squad and backroom team?

Not even Wee James could do that at present.

Lotto

Quote from: thewobbler on December 21, 2021, 06:54:16 PM
Quote from: Lloyd p on December 21, 2021, 06:50:09 PM
Can anyone post full down squad and backroom team?

Not even Wee James could do that at present.

I totally agree with you Wobbler, I think the word mess is what you are looking for.

Hard2Listen2

Wee bit harsh Lottery. I doubt if any panel in the country is finished.

James has a group of players training & playing challenge games. He'll whittle that down over time.

Same as any county in any season. I'd have more concerns about the start of the season being delayed due to this recent covid outbreak.

toby47

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on December 21, 2021, 09:40:38 PM

James has a group of players training & playing challenge games. He'll whittle that down over time.

Same as any county in any season. I'd have more concerns about the start of the season being delayed due to this recent covid outbreak.

Derry have been training 5 times a week for over a month now, they are targeting a flying start to the league so it will be interesting to see how that stands to them vs Down in the first game. Word coming out of Derry is that the players have never done training like the sessions Gallagher has them doing ATM.

Derry could potentially be missing Slaughtneil hurlers (2 x McKaigues, Shane McGuigan, Brendan Rogers, Paudi Cassidy, Paul McNeil) it would be some opportunity for Down to get 2 points on the board if that is the case.

Likewise Down could be missing the Kilcoo players (if there are even many of them on this years panel)

Kong King

Quote from: toby47 on December 22, 2021, 09:27:09 AM

Derry have been training 5 times a week for over a month now, they are targeting a flying start to the league so it will be interesting to see how that stands to them vs Down in the first game. Word coming out of Derry is that the players have never done training like the sessions Gallagher has them doing ATM.

Derry could potentially be missing Slaughtneil hurlers (2 x McKaigues, Shane McGuigan, Brendan Rogers, Paudi Cassidy, Paul McNeil) it would be some opportunity for Down to get 2 points on the board if that is the case.

Likewise Down could be missing the Kilcoo players (if there are even many of them on this years panel)

Same as Rostrevor

rosskarr

Quote from: Kong King on December 22, 2021, 09:45:59 PM
Quote from: toby47 on December 22, 2021, 09:27:09 AM

Same as Rostrevor
Good man BC,multiple £'s per session.

Smurfy123

Why would Castlewellan who are joined up with Loughinisland and Downpatrick players enter a 13 a side B competition with a squad of 29 players?
That just doesn't make any sense

A lot of teams back training from what I'm hearing. Rostrevor 5 nights a week what is all that about? Out county team wouldn't even be doing that

Lecale Gael

Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 23, 2021, 10:11:08 AM
Why would Castlewellan who are joined up with Loughinisland and Downpatrick players enter a 13 a side B competition with a squad of 29 players?

A lot of teams back training from what I'm hearing. Rostrevor 5 nights a week what is all that about? Out county team wouldn't even be doing that

Two from Loughinisland and one from Downpatrick is not an amalgamation. Like has already been said you can only enter a competition that complements with your players ability and numbers. If anything it should been the one comp and open draw with losing teams dropping into the secondary comp as was in the past. Should also have been u21 still also.

Training now is madness. Only one that benefits is the hired help.
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

SHEEDY

Something we were doing in work  :P  best Down team from 2000 to now.
Only 2 Rules; no all Ireland winners and only one player from each club allowed.
This was my team, team based on service to county. Any obvious obmissions or changes?

Brendan McVeigh An Riocht

Damien Rafferty Shamrocks
Benny McArdle Annaclone
Darren O'Hagan Clonduff
Paul Murphy Ballyholland
Liam Doyle Liatroim
Caolan Mooney Rostrevor

Peter Turley Downpatrick
Dan Gordon Loughinisland

Danny Hughes Saval
Connor Maginn Bryansford
Ambrose Rogers Longstone
Benny Coulter Mayobridge
Donal O'Hare Burren
Conor Laverty Kilcoo

nil satis nisi optimum

Lotto

The question from Lloyd p was two fold, my answer was on both fronts while yours was only on the players 2Hard.

Hard2Listen2

No room for Mark Poland or Marty Clarke Mr Sherry?

Mourne Rover

Good question from Sheedy, and his team is a decent one. This is another possibility. Marty Clarke's Down senior career may have been relatively short but he surely has to be in there. Most of the other choices as the best from their clubs are reasonable, although McKernan's long service and versatility (every outfield line in the championship) should just edge out O'Hare as the Burren representative. If McComiskey and Harrison had not been unlucky with injuries, they were also strong contenders

Mickey McVeigh (Castlewellan)
Dee Rafferty (Shamrocks) Benny McArdle (Annaclone) Darren O'Hagan (Clonduff).
Kevin McKernan (Burren) Liam Doyle (Leitrim) Caolan Mooney (Rostrevor/Downpatrick)
Ambrose Rogers (Longstone) Dan Gordon (Loughinisland)
Danny Hughes (Saval) Marty Clarke (An Riocht) Conor Maginn (Bryansford)
Ronan Murtagh (Ballyholland) Benny Coulter (Mayobridge) Conor Laverty (Kilcoo)

thewobbler

Mickey McVeigh.

Martin Cole, Dan Gordon, Damien Rafferty.

Kevin McKernan, Liam Doyle, Darren O'Hagan.

Peter Fitzpatrick, Ambrose Rogers.

Conor Maginn, Martin Clarke, Danny Hughes.

Ronan Murtagh, Benny Coulter, Conor Laverty.

urbangael

Paul Mccomiskey should walk into those teams lads!

supersub

Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 23, 2021, 10:11:08 AM

It's actually 6  ::)