Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on February 27, 2017, 03:12:31 PM
TS can't spell.....

Great two points with a lotta solid performers but Patrick Mc Bride my m o m..... :)

hmmmmmm
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bogieman

Sligo were a good strong team.
The last point was worthy of winning a close game.
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bogieman on February 27, 2017, 06:59:57 PM
Sligo were a good strong team.
The last point was worthy of winning a close game.

Who done the scoring for Antrim??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

culchie11

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 27, 2017, 03:40:29 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on February 27, 2017, 03:12:31 PM
TS can't spell.....

Great two points with a lotta solid performers but Patrick Mc Bride my m o m..... :)

hmmmmmm

Going by some of country bumpkins match reports he can't see, let alone spell.... Bannside would give him some run for his money all the same lol

The protagonist would say!!

But mr2 u boys wouldn't get to read it up in the bright lights!

BrendanAntrim

CJ scored 0.8, 6 frees, including the winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on February 27, 2017, 10:07:37 PM

Tried to find proper match report but couldn't find one, thanks on scores... any other reports??

Hectic

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 27, 2017, 10:33:00 PM

Tried to find proper match report but couldn't find one, thanks on scores... any other reports??

Haha - you want the run down then on how CJ put his doubters to the side for another day then ;)

I see div 3 kicks off this weekend - early favourites Sarsfields and Glenravel have potential banana skins to navigate as well which could see us off to an interesting start.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hectic on February 28, 2017, 08:08:53 AM

Haha - you want the run down then on how CJ put his doubters to the side for another day then ;)

I see div 3 kicks off this weekend - early favourites Sarsfields and Glenravel have potential banana skins to navigate as well which could see us off to an interesting start.

Just surprised with the first win that the reports are sparce.... i couldnt care less who starred or didn't i'm g;ad they got off the mark against a decent team

BrendanAntrim

Yesterdays Irish News ICYMI

Allianz Football League Division Three: Antrim 0-11 Sligo 1-7

ANTRIM claimed their first win of the Allianz Football League with a gutsy one-point victory over Sligo in Corrigan Park yesterday.

CJ McGourty scored what proved to be the winning point with two minutes left when he fired over a stunning free from 45 yards out.

There was still time for further drama as Antrim were reduced to 14 men when Ryan Murray picked up his second yellow card for a cynical foul on Sligo's Eoin McHugh, while the outstanding Paddy McBride was shown black card in injury-time.

Mark Brehony had a chance to salvage a point for the visitors but his effort tailed wide as Antrim hung on to, much to the relief of joint manager Gearoid Adams

"There was a bit of pride in our play today," said Adams.

"We started off slow in the first half, maybe we showed a lack of self belief.

"I thought, in the second half, that performance was as good as anything. It was down to the wire and we held on. The last point from CJ was
an absolute cracker to win the game and we deserved it too."

McGourty's second free of the afternoon gave Antrim a 0-3 to 0-2 lead on 16 minutes,  but it was short-lived as Sligo struck for the game's only goal moments later.

A dangerous ball into the Antrim full-back line looked to be dealt with by Patrick Gallagher but the ball slipped through his hands and
fell kindly for Sligo
corner-forward Niall Murphy, who beat Chris Kerr with a well-taken shot into the bottom corner.

Further points from Murphy and Adrian Marren saw the Yeatsmen gain the upper hand.

Conor Murray broke Sligo's momentum with a much-needed score for the Saffrons but Niall Carew's men should have plundered their second goal when Kyle Cawley was played through by Neil Ewing but his blasted his shot over the crossbar with just Kerr to beat.

Stephen Beatty forced a fine save from Aidan Devaney at the other end of the pitch and two further frees from McGourty left Antrim trailing by two at the break.

McBride made light of the windy conditions when he scored an outrageous point from the sideline before Brehony hit back instantly for Sligo.

McGourty's fifth free cut the gap to a point before McBride's fine pass found the St Gall's ace unmarked on 45 minutes to clip over the equalising point.

The same pair linked up once more a minute later as McGourty punch the ball towards goal only to see Devaney push the ball over the crossbar.

Still, Antrim had the lead once more and Sligo appeared rattled. However, the Saffrons couldn't push on and a series of missed chances kept Sligo in the game. 

Substitute Charlie Harrison won a fairly dubious free which Marren converted to tie the game with five minutes remaining.

A foul on the industrious Conor Murray afforded McGourty the opportunity to restore Antrim's slender lead and he made no mistake on 68 minutes.

Antrim's tackling in the closing minutes left a lot to be desired with Ryan Murray and McBride being dismissed but the two points was all that mattered for the home side as Brehony's last-gasp effort missed the target.

Antrim: C Kerr; C Hamill, P Gallagher, P McAleer; P McBride 0-1, R McCann, P Healy; J Dowling, S Beatty; C Murray (0-1), R Murray (0-1), D Lynch; CJ McGourty (0-8, 0-6 frees), C Small, M Fitzpatrick.

Subs: S Donnelly for McCann (30), S McGarry for Small (64).

Black card: McBride (71) replaced by B Bradley

Yellow cards: Dowling (30), R Murray (63, 70), C Murray (73).

Red card: R Murray (70).

Hectic

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 28, 2017, 09:44:29 AM
Quote from: Hectic on February 28, 2017, 08:08:53 AM

Just surprised with the first win that the reports are sparce.... i couldnt care less who starred or didn't i'm g;ad they got off the mark against a decent team

Of course - was just messing with the rest hence the ;)

bogieman

This is not Irish dancing. -RH

bannside

Wouldn't be many better forward lines than Tomas, Ryan, Matt Fitz, Conor Small and a really sharp CJ. All top notch footballers. As I said previously, we might not have 25 clinkers but we have no excuse if we can't send out 15 players at any one time to compete in division three.

Sean Pats progress should be watched with interest too and of some of the other really good young forwards there's Liam Quinn, Deaghlan Murphy and possibly Eamonn Fife to look forward to. Of course there's more that's not a definitive list by any means.

JimStynes

Quote from: bannside on March 01, 2017, 08:09:41 PM
Wouldn't be many better forward lines than Tomas, Ryan, Matt Fitz, Conor Small and a really sharp CJ. All top notch footballers. As I said previously, we might not have 25 clinkers but we have no excuse if we can't send out 15 players at any one time to compete in division three.

Sean Pats progress should be watched with interest too and of some of the other really good young forwards there's Liam Quinn, Deaghlan Murphy and possibly Eamonn Fife to look forward to. Of course there's more that's not a definitive list by any means.

Good footballers but would they get their place on any of the other Ulster county forward lines?

imtommygunn

A hell of a lot of creggan guys on that team (well squad) from magherafelt who made it to macrory tonight which is good to see.

Quinn and small looked like big talents from what i saw last year.

Are they minor again?

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on March 01, 2017, 08:09:41 PM

Tomas gone from the panel from what I can hear