Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: BennyCake on February 04, 2021, 12:26:20 AM
When Lingard is on form, I like to watch him play. But he only turns it on for a few games now and again. I hoped he gets his confidence back and if he returns to United, returns as a better player.

On another note, it's amazing how many of that England team from 2018 have went downhill since. Trippier, Stones, Alli, Lingard, Pickford, Young and I suppose Maguire too. Only Kane you could say has improved as a player. That England team (and manager) were put up on a pedestal and linked to big teams, when in reality they were an average team who happened to get a very very handy run of games to a World Cup semi final.

Lingard needs to play every week, he's that type of player and just don't think he can make an impact as a squad player. I don't think he'll be short of offers this summer, reckon Villa & Everton will be in for him too.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 04, 2021, 09:54:09 AM
Lingard needs to play every week, he's that type of player and just don't think he can make an impact as a squad player. I don't think he'll be short of offers this summer, reckon Villa & Everton will be in for him too.
Lingard had good run of starts in the first half of last season playing in the number 10 role where you are meant to be scoring or creating plenty of goals he was doing neither.

Fair to him finding a bit of form last night, first time he scored two goals in a match since Solskjaer first match as Uniteds manager?  He'll have to take a big wage cut to join the likes of Villa and Everton long term.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 04, 2021, 05:47:19 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 04, 2021, 09:54:09 AM
Lingard had good run of starts in the first half of last season playing in the number 10 role where you are meant to be scoring or creating plenty of goals he was doing neither.

Fair to him finding a bit of form last night, first time he scored two goals in a match since Solskjaer first match as Uniteds manager?  He'll have to take a big wage cut to join the likes of Villa and Everton long term.

He's on about 4.5m a season at United, the likes of Villa & Everton would have no issue matching that wage or increasing it. Everton's wage bill was £164m in the last accounts, Everton will have plenty of players on more money then Lingard.

Cunny Funt

Should have been a comfortable win but ended up as two real stupid points dropped with the last kick of the game.

The defending and goalkeeping by United for the goals conceded was woeful. United are as good as any team going forward in this league while defensively a number of teams at bottom can defend better and don't gift as many goals to the opposition.

Milltown Row2

Slab head is suspect and Keeper can't command his area at all...

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2021, 10:41:48 PM
Slab head is suspect and Keeper can't command his area at all...

He never could. Diabolical.

Denn Forever

Fergie time strikes back.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Milltown Row2

I can't even say Everton played well, Utd allowed them back in. But fair play to Everton for taking their chances and playing to the final whistle.

City should stroll to the championship
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Maroon Manc

Diabolical from United, conceded 2 ridiculous goals again. Its a game United should have won comfortably although Everton's keeper at fault for McTominay's goal and this Everton team have a lot more class then any Everton team has had in a long time as you could with Rodriguez first touch and finish for his goal.

How many more mistakes does De Gea have to make before Henderson gets a game, he's nowhere near the keeper he used to be. Don't get why Maguire is getting flack, he's not at fault for any of the goals. I mentioned a when United had the good run after xmas that I don't think it would have happened with Lindelof in the side, he's slow and and weak aerially; Any decent centre half would have made a proper clearance in the build up to the 2nd goal. A proper partner for Maguire and a keeper who wasn't constantly making mistakes would make a huge difference.

Game management isn't good enough and its not the first time either, late goal conceded at Bramhall Lane and plenty of hairy moments towards the end against Villa, Fulham & Burnley too. United still a lot to learn.

Rich Ricci

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 07, 2021, 12:53:02 PM
Diabolical from United, conceded 2 ridiculous goals again. Its a game United should have won comfortably although Everton's keeper at fault for McTominay's goal and this Everton team have a lot more class then any Everton team has had in a long time as you could with Rodriguez first touch and finish for his goal.

How many more mistakes does De Gea have to make before Henderson gets a game, he's nowhere near the keeper he used to be. Don't get why Maguire is getting flack, he's not at fault for any of the goals. I mentioned a when United had the good run after xmas that I don't think it would have happened with Lindelof in the side, he's slow and and weak aerially; Any decent centre half would have made a proper clearance in the build up to the 2nd goal. A proper partner for Maguire and a keeper who wasn't constantly making mistakes would make a huge difference.

Game management isn't good enough and its not the first time either, late goal conceded at Bramhall Lane and plenty of hairy moments towards the end against Villa, Fulham & Burnley too. United still a lot to learn.

I'd agree with that. 2-0 up at HT you have to be expecting a response from Everton at the start of the 2nd. If Utd sit in tight and don't concede early they kill any momentum and the game is a good as won.

Cunny Funt

Don't get why Maguire is getting flack, he's not at fault for any of the goals

First goal he was badly caught out for pace. 3rd goal he was meant to marking Calvert Lewin and instead of marking he played for offside eventhough it was him that played them onside.  DeGea was slow off his line but it was up to the defence and their captain to be better organised on that free kick.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2021, 11:50:57 AM
I can't even say Everton played well, Utd allowed them back in. But fair play to Everton for taking their chances and playing to the final whistle.

They played better in the 3-1 defeat to United earlier in the season. What kept them going was the belief from a 3 month unbeaten away run and knowing they wouldn't have to work that hard to score against that ropey United defence.

BennyCake

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 07, 2021, 02:05:12 PM

First goal he was badly caught out for pace. 3rd goal he was meant to marking Calvert Lewin and instead of marking he played for offside eventhough it was him that played them onside.  DeGea was slow off his line but it was up to the defence and their captain to be better organised on that free kick.

They played better in the 3-1 defeat to United earlier in the season. What kept them going was the belief from a 3 month unbeaten away run and knowing they wouldn't have to work that hard to score against that ropey United defence.

Yes, the defence should be set up, but as s keeper you need to be alert and ready in case of a flick on, deflection, etc etc.. De Gea had plenty of time to close down DCL, to spread himself and narrow the goal. His effort to do that was pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. He's a complete liability.

NAG1

Poor result from a game that should have been closed out comfortably.

Taking in DeGea's error the game was still there for the taking.

Yet again AWB caught out of position in the 95th minute of the game, loses possession up the pitch and is out of his area. Easy ball down his channel causes the foul. Genuinely dont get how he is being talked up, he has improved slightly for end product but his positional play is ridiculous.

Maroon Manc

This is where the criticism of Maguire gets out of hand, there's nothing wrong wrong with his defending for their 1st goal. United's shape let them down which ended up in 3 Everton attackers on 3 United defenders.  As for the 3rd goal the clip doing the rounds on social media isn't from when the free kick was taken it was just after; Every free kick United decide Maguire gets around quick to try and cover, its all De Gea's fault. A proper keeper would be gathering that up in  front of Calvert Lewin.

trailer

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 08, 2021, 09:31:18 AM

This is where the criticism of Maguire gets out of hand, there's nothing wrong wrong with his defending for their 1st goal. United's shape let them down which ended up in 3 Everton attackers on 3 United defenders.  As for the 3rd goal the clip doing the rounds on social media isn't from when the free kick was taken it was just after; Every free kick United decide Maguire gets around quick to try and cover, its all De Gea's fault. A proper keeper would be gathering that up in  front of Calvert Lewin.

I agree, Maguire isn't the worst. There just seems to be a complete lack of urgency to close people down. To get close and pressurise attackers. To stop crosses to close down and cut off space. Matic for SU 2nd goal is a prime example, ambling out with his two hands behind his back. You have to run, you need the desire to get out quickly to opponents and that is what Utd are lacking. That stops 5-10 goals a season and then you're in a different conversation. To many players are not showing that desire that willingness to work hard for every ball. Matic, AWB, Lindelof, Bailly, DeGea, Greenwood, Martial are all guilty of this.