Hurling Management Sim

Started by The Real Laoislad, June 28, 2007, 07:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Msgr. Horan

the changing free taker is in one of the individual screens, I cant remember how to get to it exactly, I think its under squad development, click on an individual player and then there are options to make him captain, free taker etc. The "long range" free taken dosent seem to work, I had my CHB (Paddy Barret) selected to take them but my corner forward (Adrian Freeman) keeps coming out to take 65's and the like. I suppose it depends on what your definition of what  long range free is.
Its a very difficult game allright. So difficult in fact that you'd have to wonder if all the changes you make, make any difference. I'm managing Mayo and have seen squad confidence drop like a stone under my tenure! Played 3 challenge matches, lost to Kerry and Sligo and just beat Longford last night. I think one trick might be not to change the training sessions too much from week to week. My teams confidence level was dropping by 2 points after every training session so continuing like that twas only a matter of time before I got the boot. I have now given customised sessions to each of my starting 15, will do the subs when I get a chance. I have also had them do the same training session twice now and after the second one, confidence only dropped by one point so maybe I've turned the corner. I let them off on a "team building" exercise to kenmare which cost 5K and it went up by two.
One thing that might be worth looking at is the score ratings for each of the players, e.g my best player has a ranking of about 17.6 or something. i went through each of the positions and based on the score for each player and his preferred position set up the team that way. before that, as they were challenge games I was giving everyone a run and trying things as its very early in the year. But it didnt seem to like that, now I'm going to have a settled 22 and only bring fellas on for injures. Theres also one or two who's ratings are dropping like hell but they were low to bring with so I might drop them off the panel alltogether as they are probably bringing my overall score down. That might have an effect (either way) on morale.
Putting out my best team and the changes in training seem to have worked a bit as I beat longford by 2 points, however, they hit alot of wides and could have won. Based on scores for individual players however I should have hammered them so I'm probably still doing something wrong, they had only one player who was close to my team in terms of score ratings but it was a close match.
Of course I'm assuming these player score ratings have something to do with it, if they dont then my whole strategy is shot.
I did notice that switches during matches can make a difference, one of my midfielders was getting cleaned in the first half, I swapped him with the CHF and the midfielder (Derek Mc Conn) scored two points from play and the CHF (Pierce Higgins) shut down the Longford midfielder who was causing me all sorts of problems in the first half.
I made them spend alot of time on shooting practice as most of them were lacking in that and had hit alot of wides in the previous challenge and that seemed to improve. Tis a hard game no doubt though.

corn02

Havent got a run at it this week but one question, how do you choose your friendlies? It always seems predetermined.

Msgr. Horan

You can add events in the calander/schedule section, for friendlies its practice matches. Interestingly on that, I tried to add Kerry a week before the Christy Ring cup on a Sunday and it said "Kerry will not play a challenge in Castlebar on a Sunday at that time of year". They'd be dead right too.

Ruairi Og exile

Msgr.Hogan...if you ask the other county to play the match on the saturday they might agree to it.You can change free takers in the Game details during the match, not sure about before it.

Msgr. Horan

Yes, they did agree to play on Saturday. It was interesting though that it was refused on Sunday, very realistic.

the ship

did you get permission from jp lambe to take them to kenmare even in fantasy hurling they would not allow that

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: the ship on August 01, 2007, 11:56:05 AM
did you get permission from jp lambe to take them to kenmare even in fantasy hurling they would not allow that
There was allegedly some cheap home heating oil available in Kenmare so JP came along for the spin, allegedly.

galla

While I enjoy the challenge of this game there are a few things that are really starting to bug me

1. Is the point of a coach not to run training sessions. It really annoys me to have to adjust the timings for each section of the training session until you are in agreement with the coach.

2. Once you lose a game your confidence drops dramatically and i am finding it hard to reverse this(This could be the challenge of the game) but when you win there is very little increase

3.Irrespective of what style i choose to play I cannot see any change looking through the commentary or stats for the game ie: Playing a passing game you would expect more passes to be attempted than if you are playing a physical game

bottlethrower7

this game is a load of bullshit. boring as hell

longball

Seen in the Smyths Toy Catalogue that Gaelic Games  Football 2 and Gaelic Games Hurling is coming out for hte pS2 in November. Football bound to be better than the last one!!!! Tried searching the net but no real news about it. anybody know anything?

Bought Bainisteoir Hurling arrive yday had quick go last night played one friendly so far> Cork (me) 3-16 Kerry 1-4.  I enjoyed it, More of a football man thou and would like to see a similar game with the footballers!

Is there anyway u can chose to play a third midfielder or an extra defender? played SOh corner forward in the hope of brining him back but never managed it.

Also can u edit players names, attributes etc before the season starts say if i wanted to create Colm Cooper for Kerry but wanted to make him to be a top player not some dungbag!
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

tayto

think they're planning a similar version for football. The scope for expansion of the series is massive. You should be able to start as a club manager and have to scout the u21s and minors and rise up to u21 county management and so on, they'd have to build an evolving enviroment where players age and change and so on, could be fantastic if they boys are able to keep the thing afloat long enough to get it that advanced.

the ship

we should get babs a copy for christmas

tayto

does the current game let you play more then one season?

longball

Hows everyone getting on at this game. im cork and have played 3 challenges thus far operating Ben O'Connor in Full forward line and he working a treat have my two half backs sending low digional ball into the oposite corners and it worked very well in first games against Kerry and Tyrone but then was on the backend of a serious stuffing to The Cats.

Anybody come up with any answers to my previous post?
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0