Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on June 30, 2022, 12:37:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 30, 2022, 11:45:58 AM
For large parts of the game (mainly first half) Kelly was missing, poor free taking in that game and previous game which was then handed over to someone else who steadied the ship regarding frees, Kelly will still find the space but if the man marking is having an impact on his performance then remember Clare's game this year in the league that Kelly wasn't playing in, they actually played their best hurling this year in a game he wasn't involved in

I think that final round-robin game has gave the Clare squard a huge confidence boost:

1. They had a load of lads missing and still got the draw.
2. Fringe players got a run out and produced the goods. As a squad player, they must be thinking, Lohan will give me a chance. Great for the Clare squad spirit.

Thought it was the Waterford game you both were talking about..

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on June 30, 2022, 01:26:26 PM
Quote from: marty34 on June 30, 2022, 12:37:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 30, 2022, 11:45:58 AM
For large parts of the game (mainly first half) Kelly was missing, poor free taking in that game and previous game which was then handed over to someone else who steadied the ship regarding frees, Kelly will still find the space but if the man marking is having an impact on his performance then remember Clare's game this year in the league that Kelly wasn't playing in, they actually played their best hurling this year in a game he wasn't involved in

I think that final round-robin game has gave the Clare squard a huge confidence boost:

1. They had a load of lads missing and still got the draw.
2. Fringe players got a run out and produced the goods. As a squad player, they must be thinking, Lohan will give me a chance. Great for the Clare squad spirit.

Thought it was the Waterford game you both were talking about..

Sorry, you're 100% spot on.

Lohan showed great faith in his squad. Rested the key lads.

marty34

Be hard to look past Limerick in the other semi-final.

Always waiting on Galway to explode and produce a bit of consistency. Shefflin will need them to produce a full on performance with 70+ % scoring/shot ratio. Nothing as bad as when going well, then hit 2 or 3 wides in a row. Just sucks the air out of a team.

Galway need a good few points from play from Cooney, Monaghan and Concannon etc. Plus goals.

Rumours that Ger Mac won't make it. Cooney at No. 6 or maybe even David Burke. I'd let Cathal Mannion roam, pick off passes and pick off a few scores from play. He's key for Galway, even moreso than Whelan as Finn and Nash will be hanging out of him inside.

You know what Limerick will bring. Needs to be matched. Harder said than done.

seafoid

Quote from: marty34 on June 30, 2022, 02:47:05 PM
Be hard to look past Limerick in the other semi-final.

Always waiting on Galway to explode and produce a bit of consistency. Shefflin will need them to produce a full on performance with 70+ % scoring/shot ratio. Nothing as bad as when going well, then hit 2 or 3 wides in a row. Just sucks the air out of a team.

Galway need a good few points from play from Cooney, Monaghan and Concannon etc. Plus goals.

Rumours that Ger Mac won't make it. Cooney at No. 6 or maybe even David Burke. I'd let Cathal Mannion roam, pick off passes and pick off a few scores from play. He's key for Galway, even moreso than Whelan as Finn and Nash will be hanging out of him inside.

You know what Limerick will bring. Needs to be matched. Harder said than done.
Galway need a good start and huge intensity plus 2 or 3 goals and something could happen. 2001 and 2005 would be the templates
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Capt Pat

Limerick to win by 10+ points.

Limerick have been streets ahead of everyone these last few years except for Clare this year. 3 draws out of three competitive games v clare says that Clare have caught up.  So Clare against Kilkenny looks like Clare to me. Unless Clare don't bring the form they have shown thisyear against Limerick then Kilkenny will have a chance. The other thing that gives Kilkenny a chance is the Clare goalkeeper and fullback could be exploited by TJ Reid. Quilligan in goals can be worth a soft goal a game to the opposition. Against Kilkenny with Cleary up against Reid at full forward who is very strong in the air could be a very fruitful route for Kilkenny into the game.

imtommygunn

Galway have been really unimpressive this year too. Limerick should win handy bar a shock.

shark

Quote from: Capt Pat on June 30, 2022, 11:32:37 PM

Limerick have been streets ahead of everyone these last few years except for Clare this year. 3 draws out of three competitive games v clare says that Clare have caught up.  So Clare against Kilkenny looks like Clare to me. Unless Clare don't bring the form they have shown thisyear against Limerick then Kilkenny will have a chance. The other thing that gives Kilkenny a chance is the Clare goalkeeper and fullback could be exploited by TJ Reid. Quilligan in goals can be worth a soft goal a game to the opposition. Against Kilkenny with Cleary up against Reid at full forward who is very strong in the air could be a very fruitful route for Kilkenny into the game.

Surely Reid is going to want it low in to space if he is up against Cleary. As good as Reid is in the air, Cleary is 6 foot 6.

johnnycool

Quote from: shark on July 01, 2022, 10:21:59 AM

Surely Reid is going to want it low in to space if he is up against Cleary. As good as Reid is in the air, Cleary is 6 foot 6.

Reid has lost a good bit of pace, Mossy might get the odd low ball, but Cleary was exposed a bit by Wexford in the air, KK will try him out for confidence under a few I'd have thought.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on July 01, 2022, 11:08:16 AM

Reid has lost a good bit of pace, Mossy might get the odd low ball, but Cleary was exposed a bit by Wexford in the air, KK will try him out for confidence under a few I'd have thought.

Not many better than T.J. in the air, regardless of who's marking him.

Key thing here is he'll usually suck 2 defenders in on the aerial ball, win it and pop it out to Eoin Cody or Mossie Keoghan, who'll have a free run on goal.

keep her low this half

Quote from: marty34 on July 01, 2022, 12:09:44 PM

Key thing here is he'll usually suck 2 defenders in on the aerial ball, win it and pop it out to Eoin Cody or Mossie Keoghan, who'll have a free run on goal.
As you say, one thing that makes the greats really stand out is their decision making and how they can occupy/ torment more than one player at a time.
Although the same argument does apply to Tony Kelly at the other end of the field, how will Kilkennys half backs/ midfield manage him?

marty34

Quote from: keep her low this half on July 01, 2022, 12:27:05 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 01, 2022, 12:09:44 PM

As you say, one thing that makes the greats really stand out is their decision making and how they can occupy/ torment more than one player at a time.
Although the same argument does apply to Tony Kelly at the other end of the field, how will Kilkennys half backs/ midfield manage him?

As I said previously, I'd put Butler on him (mightn't happen) and tell him to follow TK everywhere, literally. Don't worry about touching ball himself, just make sure TK is limited in his possessions. Harder said than done.

Plus it takes a special player to do this, to be so discliplined.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 01, 2022, 08:28:19 AM
Galway have been really unimpressive this year too. Limerick should win handy bar a shock.
They beat Kilkenny in the round robin, though. How good are Kilkenny ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Even then they struggled though and I beat them when it counted.

I'd love to see them beat Limerick but just couldn't see it.