New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Quote from: Turf on August 10, 2022, 10:39:42 AM
Nothing wrong with Opels. Had an Insignia for years and never let me down, must have put 250,000km on it and never gave me an ounce of trouble. Great car.
It was actually the Insignia that properly put me off. I knew 4 or 5 people who had nothing but trouble with them. No longer owned by GM though so things might improve 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on August 10, 2022, 10:38:29 AM
Quote from: trailer on August 10, 2022, 10:20:23 AM
Quote from: Kidder81 on August 10, 2022, 09:48:58 AM
Quote from: general_lee on August 10, 2022, 09:23:03 AM
As a rule of thumb I avoid Vauxhalls like the plague.

Absolutely

+2

+3 awful cars
The missus had a Zafira years ago and it was nothing but bother. If looking at the Vauxhall vs VW then you already know the answer!

Armamike

Maybe they've improved but Vauxhalls and Fords used to be a heap of bother.  Renaults had a good engine but had silly bodywork issues.  Hard to beat German and Japanese.
That's just, like your opinion man.

armaghniac

Quote from: Armamike on August 10, 2022, 11:45:04 AM
Maybe they've improved but Vauxhalls and Fords used to be a heap of bother.  Renaults had a good engine but had silly bodywork issues.  Hard to beat German and Japanese.

I've had every model of Ford Focus, the only problem was with the MK2 which had a stupid issue with the frost plug. I know of people with BMWs who had more problems.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jim Bob

Have just bought a car in a private sale.
I know that seller can change ownership to me online now but at what stage can. I tax it. Immediately or must I wait for the tax book to arrive ?

marty34

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 16, 2022, 12:09:32 PM
Have just bought a car in a private sale.
I know that seller can change ownership to me online now but at what stage can. I tax it. Immediately or must I wait for the tax book to arrive ?

I think tax goes when he/she sells it and you must tax it immediately Jim Bob.

It doesn't go with you to the end of the month, like the old days.

Have you got the tax book?

Jim Bob

Picking the car up this evening and the seller will transfer it into my name then.

I am wondering as soon as he does that can I immediately tax the car online before I leave his house.

snoopdog

I'm looking for a black kidney grill for an f10 BMW. I know loads on line but just wondering can anyone recommend any seller.

marty34

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 16, 2022, 01:01:17 PM
Picking the car up this evening and the seller will transfer it into my name then.

I am wondering as soon as he does that can I immediately tax the car online before I leave his house.

You might need it insured to get the Insurance Certificate. I usually do it in the post office.

I'm not sure what you need to do it on-line though.

general_lee

Quote from: snoopdog on August 16, 2022, 01:18:27 PM
I'm looking for a black kidney grill for an f10 BMW. I know loads on line but just wondering can anyone recommend any seller.
There's a BMW breaker outside Armagh CC automotive spares on Facebook.
Alternatively De bodykits who are based outside banbridge might help. Would recommend both

WT4E

I need a second car as mine died during no pandemic driving.

I've heard people say wait as 2nd hand car market will fall soon - is this true?

Also is there value in buying out of england and driving home?

snoopdog

Quote from: general_lee on August 16, 2022, 02:02:14 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on August 16, 2022, 01:18:27 PM
There's a BMW breaker outside Armagh CC automotive spares on Facebook.
Alternatively De bodykits who are based outside banbridge might help. Would recommend both
cheers general lee

Milltown Row2

Quote from: WT4E on August 16, 2022, 02:04:46 PM

I've heard people say wait as 2nd hand car market will fall soon - is this true?

Wife's car is a year old, went up to have it serviced the other day, daughters been driving it also so has pushed the mileage over what it should be, I said to her to ask the car dealer if they would take it off her and give her another one..

Wife came home with a cheaper brand new car, exact same model without the soft roof. he said that will be sold in the next few days lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2022, 03:30:09 PM

Wife's car is a year old, went up to have it serviced the other day, daughters been driving it also so has pushed the mileage over what it should be, I said to her to ask the car dealer if they would take it off her and give her another one..

Wife came home with a cheaper brand new car, exact same model without the soft roof. he said that will be sold in the next few days lol

That's posh, get a new car when it needs a service.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Kidder81

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2022, 03:30:09 PM

And then everyone cheered