Started by Farrandeelin, August 22, 2016, 10:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: guy crouchback on September 21, 2016, 10:46:55 AM
Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2016, 10:36:25 AM
Quote from: guy crouchback on September 21, 2016, 10:32:01 AM
Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2016, 10:14:49 AM
Quote from: intoDwest on September 21, 2016, 10:07:20 AM
"paddy joe" might have friends who are involved with county boards and clubs all over the country. Every club gets tickets, every senior county footballer gets 2 tickets if they want them and they can distribute them to anyone they want. Mayo just had a weeks head start in the asking

Again, I'm not referring to local arrangements between fellas knowing each other, I'm talking about the redistribution from county boards and provincial councils

even if that were true and there is no evidence that it is don't think those allocations would amount to any significant amount.
when we played donegal in 2012 we were well out numbered mainly because they had the extra week plus i think we thought we would source them easy enough due to mayo peoples natural networking abilities!! we were caught out but i think we all made sure it didn't happen again. plus the more finals you are in the better you get at it.
perhaps the Dublin fans much like their team were just a bit complacent this year.

Again, I'm not referring to local arrangements between fellas knowing each other, I'm talking about the redistribution from county boards and provincial councils
you keep saying that but it seems to be something you have picked out of the air what county board allocations?  my understanding is that clubs all over the country get an allocation, these tickets are then  either returned to central council or used by the club ( more often then not these find there way to the competing counties on ''contacts'' basis) i found a breakdown of the 2011 final distribution and provincial councils got a total of 355 tickets. if each county board gets a separate allocation there is no mention of it.

I'm sure the IOC's ticket report doesn't mention that Pat Hickey has 500 opening ceremony tickets either for the Olympics.

Where do you think the Mayo County board for example got two discretionary tickets to give to the FG Senator. Every key person in the GAA gets a serious amount of 'walking around' tickets and they are then given out by those people in the same way positions on state boards etc are allocated. This thread is going towards a dreary conclusion though so I'm out.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2016, 10:48:30 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 21, 2016, 10:38:17 AM
Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2016, 10:36:25 AM
Quote from: guy crouchback on September 21, 2016, 10:32:01 AM
Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2016, 10:14:49 AM
Quote from: intoDwest on September 21, 2016, 10:07:20 AM
"paddy joe" might have friends who are involved with county boards and clubs all over the country. Every club gets tickets, every senior county footballer gets 2 tickets if they want them and they can distribute them to anyone they want. Mayo just had a weeks head start in the asking

even if that were true and there is no evidence that it is don't think those allocations would amount to any significant amount.
when we played donegal in 2012 we were well out numbered mainly because they had the extra week plus i think we thought we would source them easy enough due to mayo peoples natural networking abilities!! we were caught out but i think we all made sure it didn't happen again. plus the more finals you are in the better you get at it.
perhaps the Dublin fans much like their team were just a bit complacent this year.

Again, what sort of numbers are you talking about here?

As I'm not a Provincial or county Secretary I can't give you an exact figure but going on what I know - it would be approximately 7,500-10,000 depending on the teams involved
And the arrangement is typically that the vast majority of these get passed straight on to the clubs, maybe 2-4 tickets each. The county board might withhold an allocation until some outstanding fee is paid up by the club. Other go to referees, officials etc. They pretty much all get passed on to some targeted person or group first before any horse trading takes place.
Are you suggesting that counties shunted a heap of them over to Mayo without giving their own members and units a sniff of them?

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2016, 10:50:08 AM
7,500-10,000 what? Returns? I can't see that heffo. Jaysus tickets for the football were like hens teeth, and I'd say everyone took their allocation and they were flying all over the country. I'd be amazed if there was a significant return of tickets for re-distribution.

My final contribution - where do you think approx 100 x clubs in Dublin get 2/3 additional ticket tranches as last as Sunday morning of the same varying between 70-170 depending on the club?

They get them from other county boards and provincial councils.

Or maybe John Costello is in the same WhatsApp groups as these cute Mayo hoors texting all their friends as soon as the semi-final is over

guy crouchback

the mayo county board get the whole mayo allocation that's where those tickets came from. also comparing the mayo county board to pat hickey is grossly unfair on pat hickey, our boys male him look like an alter  boy, ''allegedly''.

even if every county board got 50 tickets for themselves along with the provincial council allocation it only comes to around 2000. plus I'm pretty sure all these county board members who get all these tickets would be leaned upon by contacts in the competing counties to sort them out.

the notion that all the other county boards are sending secret allocations of tickets to mayo on the QT is a bit daft to be honest.

heffo

Quote from: guy crouchback on September 21, 2016, 11:05:09 AM
the notion that all the other county boards are sending secret allocations of tickets to mayo on the QT is a bit daft to be honest.

I never said there was anything secret about it

guy crouchback

Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2016, 11:00:55 AM
7,500-10,000 what? Returns? I can't see that heffo. Jaysus tickets for the football were like hens teeth, and I'd say everyone took their allocation and they were flying all over the country. I'd be amazed if there was a significant return of tickets for re-distribution.

My final contribution - where do you think approx 100 x clubs in Dublin get 2/3 additional ticket tranches as last as Sunday morning of the same varying between 70-170 depending on the club?

Or maybe John Costello is in the same WhatsApp groups as these cute Mayo hoors texting all their friends as soon as the semi-final is over

sorry we may be talking at cross purposes a bit here, you are referring to county boards returning tickets, i think its the individual clubs that return the tickets not the county boards, i thought you were talking about county boards getting a separate allowence of thousands of tickets.

guy crouchback

#
just on this point and its separate to what we are discussing really.
i have always been a bit confused by this, the same happens in mayo and to be honest i smell a rat. i have made many inquires about how these tickets appear very late in the day and i get vague answers abut returns etc but it doesn't add up, i never get the same story twice.

as far as i can see one of two things are happening.
A. the clubs are withholding tickets early on from their own membership, lying about their initial allocation and then releasing them at the last minute when it transpires they don't need them for what ever reason they thought they might. there are actually many valid reason why they might do this.
B. the county board are doing the same thing on a grander scale holding back large number of tickets  initially to be distributed later again there are a myriad of reasons why they might do this most of which  but not all come down to cronynisim and politics.

muppet

Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2016, 08:51:58 AM
Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2016, 09:08:39 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 17, 2016, 05:29:49 PM
That Senator from Mayo was given two tickets on Tuesday last by the Mayo county board - this has been reported hasnt it?

Senator Jim McGuinness?

Last paragraph:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/comment-any-spare-all-ireland-replay-ticket-for-the-selfobsessed-35066059.html

She shouldn't have been given a ticket. You have the high moral ground on this one, if, you are certain that the Dublin CB didn't give tickets to someone equally undeserving.  :D
MWWSI 2017

Bord na Mona man

Holding back tickets would be common practice. You'd have to see what big wigs and VIPs may rock up at the last minute looking to go. Imagine if Bono or Michelle Mulherin came to you in a flap looking for one and you'd given them all to the clubs.
After that you need to know how what the final allocation to each club is and give them all in the one go and at the same time.

AZOffaly

heffo, I'm not arguing with you here, I'm just genuinely stunned if this is the case, and I do find it, literally, incredible. IF you are saying that 100 clubs in Dublin received even 70 tickets on Sunday Morning, that's 7,000 returns. And you said Mayo received more of this, which is at least another 7,000. That means (if I'm understanding you right) that at least 14,000 tickets were sent back from non-competing counties?

I was under the impression that non-competing counties get approx 2 tickets per club each. So in Tipperary's case that would be about 200 tickets max. Given that there were 4 competing counties (I think the minor counties get 1,000 tickets allocated, or at least that's the 'extra' Tipp got for the hurling this year) that would leave 28 counties getting 200-500 tickets each (at a real stretch). That's a total of 14,0000 right there. Now if these returns are excluding Corporates etc, and we exclude the foreign units who also get tickets (and DO return a lot), you are saying that basically every single ticket allocated to non-competing counties got returned. That's obviously crazy, so where am I going wrong? Am I underestimating the amount of tickets allocated to non-competing counties? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

highorlow

I haven't read the full thread so my point may have been picked up on.

Having got the jump on Kerry and Dublin for the final spot that would allow the CB / Mayo Clubs to do a major amount of Hurling swaps. This happens all the time I'm sure.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AZOffaly

Yeah, and that's why I'm not sure what heffo is actually saying. I know that Tipperary frequently arrange a swap with football counties for hurling tickets. But I thought heffo is saying that basically 14,000 (at least) tickets were sent back to Croke Park for 'redistribution' from non-competing counties who didn't want/need their allocation. Maybe I'm picking him up wrong, but if he says 100 Dub Clubs got 70-170 such 'redistributed' tickets in a few tranches, then that in itself (even at the low figure of 70) is 7,000 tickets. Given that he said Mayo received 'more' of these redistributions, then that's at least 14,000 returns from Counties/Provincial Councils. So either they get far, far more than the 2-4 tickets per club that I had understood (which wouldn't even average out at 500 per county) or else there's something I'm not understanding from what heffo is saying.

heffo

Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2016, 11:26:46 AM
Quote from: heffo on September 21, 2016, 08:51:58 AM
Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2016, 09:08:39 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 17, 2016, 05:29:49 PM
That Senator from Mayo was given two tickets on Tuesday last by the Mayo county board - this has been reported hasnt it?

Senator Jim McGuinness?

Last paragraph:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/comment-any-spare-all-ireland-replay-ticket-for-the-selfobsessed-35066059.html

She shouldn't have been given a ticket. You have the high moral ground on this one, if, you are certain that the Dublin CB didn't give tickets to someone equally undeserving.  :D

I'm not making any judgement on it, I was only letting ye know.

Tyrone Dreamer

I honestly believe Heffo is making up things to try and back up his argument. There usually is some late returns probably from clubs outside of Ireland that are distributed late in the week to each of the counties. I'd be surprised if there was too many for this final but could have been a few.

There is no way there was 7000 and absolutely no way there was double that. I think Heffo was arguing that Mayo got them all originally but he's now saying the Dubs got some too so no idea exactly what is point is.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on September 21, 2016, 01:56:35 PM
I honestly believe Heffo is making up things to try and back up his argument. There usually is some late returns probably from clubs outside of Ireland that are distributed late in the week to each of the counties. I'd be surprised if there was too many for this final but could have been a few.

There is no way there was 7000 and absolutely no way there was double that. I think Heffo was arguing that Mayo got them all originally but he's now saying the Dubs got some too so no idea exactly what is point is.

Heffo is well able to speak for himself but he has been around here along time and never before been anything but 100% straight.