Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDover

Quote from: hows she cutting on November 27, 2006, 11:56:11 AM
thought Carrick had a good game alright
thought Vidic was arguably better, shouldn't Drogba have been sent off for that sneaky elbow?
I have to agree here Sky caught Drogba having a look to see where Vidic was and then he jumped and caught he square on the nose with an elbow

Spiritof98

Seen that too Ben, it does happen in football though,

But IF it was Rooney they'd be crying from the rafters about it. esp. Mourinho
I'll go back if Marsdens back

magpie seanie

A good match and a fair result. United just didn't have the option to change the team after an hour when under the cosh and to be honest if the goal hadn't gone in the time it did it was only a matter of time before it did. United actually did well to see it out as they had put so much into the game at that stage. The Ronaldo/Cole battle was brilliant with the Portugese edging it this time (usually it goes the other way). People might (rightly) point out that Ronaldo didn't produce much end product but he really carried the fight to Chelsea almost on his own in the second period. Chelsea are so strong and the bad news for those not of a blue persuasion is that, in my view, they are only operating at about 85% of their potential. Once their new players and new system really click they will be totally awesome.

Overall, very hard to see United go all he way and win the league withuot serious reinforcements.

Finally - is there a more detestable player in the world than Drogba. A nasty piece of work and a thoroughbred cheat. The ref did well overall but he should have sent Drogba off for the cowardly elbow.

Vidic is some horse.

Norf Tyrone

QuoteI have to agree here Sky caught Drogba having a look to see where Vidic was and then he jumped and caught he square on the nose with an elbow

Gotta agree that it could've been a red card, but the cynic in me would say that Vidic was looking to get Ballack (I think) sent off earlier on with his epileptic fit on the ground.
Thougt all in all, the ref managed well yesterday. He could've played by the rules and flashed cards all round, but maintained a degree of sense, and talked to players when the need required.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Spiritof98

Breaking news... The SUN has gave Ashley Cole Man of the Match. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

OK, it was an intriging battle but surely Ron came out on top.

intoDwest

Just back after the match. I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with Chelsea, If they persist with playing  that four in midfield then there will be a good championship race.  For all the possession that Chelsea had they never really looked threatening. They are so big and athletic but they are lacking real with, if they dropped sheva and ballack and put back in the wide boys then they will romp home but as it stands they are very one dimensional, and easy to defend against. Will it be the curse if the "Galaticos"?

Carrick may not put in crunching tackles like a keane/viera but his position sense and passing ability are first class. Vidic is indeed a monster, a fantastic buy especially as we stole him from the "30 miles from greatness" brigade!!

The atmosphere on the stretford end was unreal, so much for all seated stadiums. My poor Dad had a shock, you have to stand for the whole game and you have to sing, otherwise you get a right earful!!!

"Mourinho, are you listening,
You better keep our trophy glistening,
We'll be back in May, to take it away,
Walking in a Fergie wonderland"

Farrandeelin

Couldn't get to a computer before now so I had time to digest it all. I thought United had enough chances to score another one in the first half. I think a draw was a fair result. I know some people will be critical of United, but Chelsea are everybody's favourite's for the title so to draw with them isn't that bad. Chelsea could have won the game and they probably will feel agrieved that they couldn't push on for another goal in the end. I thought Carrick was brilliant in the first half. He was class at breaking down Chelsea moves and the others all seemed to be that bit better than Chelsea early on. It was kind of hard luck that Saha was in the way of VDS because he had it covered but the goal was coming for a while anyway. At least we didn't lose and are still top of the league. And I agree with intoDwest's assessment of the atmosphere of the Stretford end despite being in the North stand for it!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Goats Do Shave

Any one catch MOTD last night?

Was on too late for myself... 3-0 v Everton, sounds pretty convincing!! - though on the radio they said UTD were poor 1st half!

Nice to see the scousers & Arsenal both 16 points behind us & it aint even December yet!!!!!!!!  ;D

Spiritof98

Aye 20 to 1 what da f#*k was that about, as I was sitting up waiting on it my da rung me, he had just watched it on BBC 1 on Sky digital, no f*#kin Season ticket there, rippin.

maxpower

aye shocking time for it to be on, is there anywhere on the web you can see the goals.  read the report in the paper and it seems united were poor enough.  if utd were poor it again shows how reliant utd are on scholes, giggs and saha
What happens next????

Barney

Watched it on Football First. United were poor and ended up with Brown and Evra in midfield!! But still a win is a win. Chelsea didn't set the world on fire last night either.

One thing United have been very lucky with their opponents having injuries when playing them this year - Everton were without Cahill and Johnson, Arsenal without Henry, Portsmouth without Campbell, Johnson and Kanu.

Still worry about the away days ahead. It could yet be Chelsea at a canter.

Goats Do Shave

I was listening to the 5 live last night & it said Campbell was organising his defence brilliantly????

Apparantly Ronaldo & Evra were both brilliant & Rooney kissed the badge in front of the Everton supporters - I love it!

magpie seanie

Watched it on Football First as well and a really cheap 3 points by the look of it. When United used to be winning leagues this sort of result, with a weakened side, was quite common but it has not been too prevalent in recent years. Most people know that to do the business against good teams United need their full team but its nice to take 3 points comfortably and extend the goal difference gap. It effectively gives United an extra point (barring Chelsea going on a goal spree in the second half of the season) which is very handy. Good for Evra and O'Shea to get on target and the player ROI fans love to hate took his goal well and had a good game by the looks of things.

Chelsea were the same as usual. Solid, hard-working, robust, cautious. Scored and decided to pack up the tent thereafter. Nearly paid the price late on but Anelka duffed the effort.

Chelsea still the favourites but interesting times ahead with Benfica on the horizon.

Spiritof98

Seanie do I detect a hint of Optimism,  ??? :) must agree, its a goods sign that we can beat a good team like Everton with a poor performance. If we can keep our noses in front over xmas and make a killer signing then you never know.

full back

I think the most important part of our season is going to be the transfer window. If Fergie gets the rent, we could be laughing. I think 2 quality signing will do the trick (midfield & up front), not only will it give us strength in depth but creat a bit of a push for places, which we have none of at the minute.
BTW, any word of why Giggs was "rested" last night?