Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: Will it ever end on April 07, 2020, 11:40:45 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on April 07, 2020, 10:17:04 AM
Quote from: Rois on April 07, 2020, 10:08:55 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on April 07, 2020, 10:03:38 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on April 06, 2020, 09:12:08 PM
From those aged 55-69 who are admitted to ICU with covid, 46% do not survive.

Jesus.
The worst signal will be if you hear he's on a ventilator - that brings it down closer to 20% recovery rate.  His weight will not help.
I heard he is on an ECMO, which is an advanced ventilator. Which is for people who are severely ill. It basically siphons out your blood, oxygenates it and then pumps it back it in. Dont know how true that is though.

Should you really be relaying it then if your not sure how true or not it is?
Well I did think about that, but considering that they have been telling porkies on his condition thus far, I thought it might offer up an explanation for when they say hes not on a ventilator. They can claim that they didn't lie about his condition. Plus I think this board is an obscure enough place to share this rumor without it causing mass panic.

quit yo jibbajabba

Boris made a career out of lying #justsaying

RedHand88

Quote from: seafoid on April 07, 2020, 11:22:41 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 07, 2020, 10:08:12 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on April 07, 2020, 10:03:38 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on April 06, 2020, 09:12:08 PM
From those aged 55-69 who are admitted to ICU with covid, 46% do not survive.

Jesus.

Boris is at the lowest end of that age range, but it is still dodgy.
He isn't very fit either

High BMI, is he a smoker? The real figure for someone like him is probably above 50% not pulling through.

Smokin Joe

One thing I didn't really appreciate was how low the survival rate is for those on ventilators; I see 20% has been stated here.
If that is the case then I'm not really sure why there was such a hoopla made about "not having enough ventilators".  In my uneducated mind I assumed that if you got a ventilator you had a 90(?)% chance of pulling through.  If however, it is 20% then it wouldn't even really matter if the UK had unlimited ventilators we would still have enormous deaths.

So why is "flatten the curve" so important?  Again, I had thought this was to ensure that we don't run out of ventilator capacity, and therefore the unsaid thing here is that ventilators greatly save lives.

This is brutal if there is only a 20% survival rate even once a patient gets a ventilator!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 07, 2020, 12:37:40 PM
One thing I didn't really appreciate was how low the survival rate is for those on ventilators; I see 20% has been stated here.
If that is the case then I'm not really sure why there was such a hoopla made about "not having enough ventilators".  In my uneducated mind I assumed that if you got a ventilator you had a 90(?)% chance of pulling through.  If however, it is 20% then it wouldn't even really matter if the UK had unlimited ventilators we would still have enormous deaths.

So why is "flatten the curve" so important?  Again, I had thought this was to ensure that we don't run out of ventilator capacity, and therefore the unsaid thing here is that ventilators greatly save lives.

This is brutal if there is only a 20% survival rate even once a patient gets a ventilator!

I suppose 20% is better than no chance, but that is a horrific stat
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smokin Joe

This suggests there is a 35% survival rate:
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1247260880233836553

But still; feck me that is brutal.  Such a scary disease.

ballinaman

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 07, 2020, 11:27:25 AM
Doesn't the cycle around london?
Cycling isn't a very arduous exercise though

GetOverTheBar

News just coming out suggests Johnson is relatively fine and was never in need of a ventilator.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 07, 2020, 01:02:03 PM
News just coming out suggests Johnson is relatively fine and was never in need of a ventilator.

Mickey Gove has been on all morning telling people Bojo isnt on a ventilator

armaghniac

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on April 07, 2020, 01:05:22 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 07, 2020, 01:02:03 PM

Mickey Gove has been on all morning telling people Bojo isnt on a ventilator

There are ventilator and ventilators. It appears Bojo is on CPAP not a more high tech provision.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ballinaman

CPAP, continuous positive airway pressure is the level below intubation and mechanical ventilation.

Rois

Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 07, 2020, 12:37:40 PM

The number came from my sister and was risk-weighted (gender, age and obesity level, i.e. BMI over 30).  A disclaimer is that she's consultant surgeon but not connected with respiratory care or on the C-19 front line yet, although has gone through ventilator training in the last number of days.

Is flattening the curve not about ICU beds, not necessarily the ventilators?

My OH's aunt was in ICU to get oxygen through a mask, but she wasn't not on a ventilator and is out of ICU again, so it's possible for that scenario.       

JoG2

There's 49 in ICU in the whole of the 6 counties atm, 5 in Altnagelvin. The ICU numbers in Altnagelvin have remained fairly constant the last week or so eg 4 last Wed, 3 on the Thursday etc. How these numbers look in 2 weeks time, who knows?
The North-West definitely took it's lead from the South, so hopefully that pays dividends.

Some of the stats being bandied about are crazy and the crazier the better as regards social media, Whatsapp etc. This thread definitely isn't good for your health!

Rois

Quote from: JoG2 on April 07, 2020, 02:16:45 PM
There's 49 in ICU in the whole of the 6 counties atm, 5 in Altnagelvin. The ICU numbers in Altnagelvin have remained fairly constant the last week or so eg 4 last Wed, 3 on the Thursday etc. How these numbers look in 2 weeks time, who knows?
The North-West definitely took it's lead from the South, so hopefully that pays dividends.

Some of the stats being bandied about are crazy and the crazier the better as regards social media, Whatsapp etc. This thread definitely isn't good for your health!
Same with the Ulster hospital, which yesterday had 4 in ICU (that's where my sis works). 

The hospital with the largest number is the City, which had 11 as of Sunday, possibly more now.  Craigavon next with 8 I think.  The expected surge over the weekend didn't happen, whether it's still to come or has been flattened a bit.