NFL Div. 4

Started by AZOffaly, January 25, 2008, 03:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Well lads, seeing as how NFL division 2 has it's own thread, and each Division 1 match will probably get a thread, How about we stick Division 4 topics in here. What are the thoughts of fans of Kilkenny, Tipperary, Wicklow, Antrim, Offaly, London, Clare, Carlow and Waterford.

It's hard to look past Offaly to win this division, especially if they play close to their potential, but all too often they have failed to do just that. Micko will be keen to make sure Wicklow get promoted, while Carlow showed a bit of form against the Dubs. Clare, Antrim, Tipperary, London  and Waterford will be no pushovers, especially in their home matches, and you could well see a few surprising results and close games.

Week 1 is next Suday Week.

Freshford : Kilkenny v Tipperary
Aughrim : Wicklow v Antrim (repeat of the Tommy Murphy Cup final)
Tullamore : Offaly v London
Ennis : Clare v Carlow
Bye for Waterford.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Good to see Kilkenny in the league.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

AZOffaly

Yes, it is good to see them there. Hopefully they will play a full part, and be competitive. As long as they don't beat Offaly I'm happy enough, and believe me, nothing would surprise me with Offaly :D

his holiness nb

Cant see past Offaly for this div.
Gonna stick my neck out and say Antrim to claim second spot.
Ask me holy bollix

AZOffaly

The draw hasn't been especially kind to Offaly in terms of home and away games. Ideally you would like your harder games at home, and the supposedly easier ones away. Offaly, in contrast, have London, Kilkenny, Waterford and Tipperary at home. No disrespect to any of those teams, but I think the hardest 4 games for Offaly, namely Carlow, Wicklow, Antrim and Clare are all away. That could yet scupper Offaly for winning this division, although if they aren't good enough to win those games away from home, they don't deserve promotion anyway.

Zulu

I think Clare and Carlow could be the surprise packets of this league the winner of their game next weekend could go close to winning it. They have both been doing a lot of work already and this might get them off to a good start. Tipp and Waterford will struggle I'd say, not sure about Antrim and Wicklow, Kilkenny and London will be cannon fodder.

red hander

Kilkenny played us in Omagh in the very early 90s in the NFL ... good to see them back

Maguire01

Would like to see Antrim get promotion here. I think it's between Offaly, Antrim and Wicklow.

Lone Shark

It'll be no surprise to anyone following at this stage to know that I think Clare are woefully underestimated in this division. They've set things to rights under Doherty after an abysmal year under Páidí, and there are plenty of players keen to prove how last year was an anomaly. They've always had footballers down there, and I strongly suspect that if they get off to any kind of start at all they'll be there or thereabouts.

I have got heavily stuck into them to win the division, and I'm going to cover my stake when Offaly play down in Ennis.

They have the opposite draw to us by the way. Antrim, Wicklow and Offaly along with Waterford all have to go to Ennis, while the penalty kicks (other than a resurgent Carlow - the spanner in the works) are away from home.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Lone Shark on January 26, 2008, 01:15:41 PM
It'll be no surprise to anyone following at this stage to know that I think Clare are woefully underestimated in this division. They've set things to rights under Doherty after an abysmal year under Páidí, and there are plenty of players keen to prove how last year was an anomaly. They've always had footballers down there, and I strongly suspect that if they get off to any kind of start at all they'll be there or thereabouts.

I have got heavily stuck into them to win the division, and I'm going to cover my stake when Offaly play down in Ennis.

They have the opposite draw to us by the way. Antrim, Wicklow and Offaly along with Waterford all have to go to Ennis, while the penalty kicks (other than a resurgent Carlow - the spanner in the works) are away from home.

Was this the bet u were calling into PP every day over??? How much will u take em for if it comes off??? Best of luck with it anyway, Div 4 could be tight enough...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ExiledGael

What's the betting for this division?

Gnevin

Quote from: ExiledGael on January 28, 2008, 03:51:23 PM
What's the betting for this division?
1/10 on the quality of football will be pure shite  ;)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Lone Shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 28, 2008, 03:10:21 PM

Was this the bet u were calling into PP every day over??? How much will u take em for if it comes off??? Best of luck with it anyway, Div 4 could be tight enough...

Twasn't all PP - Boyles were 20/1 for a while at the start, so in actual fact most of it is with them. Powers will only be a small percentage of the total, which I won't go into, since much like driving speeds, the appropriate level of betting for any individual is very much a matter of personal taste. You've all heard how drivers believe anyone going faster than them is a lunatic, while anyone going slower is a waste of space on the road - well so it often is with betting.

It's not that I expect them to win mind - I just think that if four out of their first five games are handy enough, with only Antrim in Ennis being that tricky. If they sneak a win in that game and are 5/5, they'll probably only need one win out of their home games over whoever won between Wicklow and Offaly in Aughrim to round it off. I honestly think that's only a 6 or 7 to one shot, and now that David Russell has come back in on Doherty's terms they can only get better.

Carlow might throw a spanner in the works next week so I'll be watching that anxiously, but I'm hoping that when Offaly come to Ennis both teams will be unbeaten, I can cover my stake at 1/2 or so and be in a win/win situation.

Taking Best prices.....

Offaly 4/5  (Lads)
Wicklow 9/2 (Stan James, betdirect)
Antrim 5/1 (Lads)
Clare 14/1 (Hills)
Carlow 28/1 (Bluesq)

50/1 Bar those.

AZOffaly

LS, I presume the 50/1 about Carlow (suspended) was an error on the website? :D

blasmere

Quote from: Lone Shark on January 28, 2008, 04:17:01 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 28, 2008, 03:10:21 PM

Taking Best prices.....

Offaly 4/5  (Lads)
Wicklow 9/2 (Stan James, betdirect)
Antrim 5/1 (Lads)
Clare 14/1 (Hills)
Carlow 28/1 (Bluesq)

50/1 Bar those.

Surely Carlow are worth a punt at 28/1 with Blue Square.

A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree