Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Gold, cue my response.

I think blaming the Galls lads for our drop (last year) in form is silly, possibly it would have something to do with management and their decision on playing them. Sean Kelly is not flashy and can out pace the McCanns, Colm Brady is not a flashy player also.

I pointed out also last year that a certain player made remarks about the Galls lads coming back into the panel, it showed up the division between the players.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Yeah I don't think we can blame Galls players for drop in form. It did seem to coincide with things but I think it's like MR says - it was probably more management. A few boys (O'Hagan / Magill and possibly more) never seemed to be around after they came back - they were thrown in too quick and it seemed to peeve a few boys off.

There are divides in every county panel MR - don't think it is playing a part here. Cargin and Galls seem to hate each other but you could pick 2 clubs in near every county who are the same.

Kelly wouldn't outstrip McCanns for pace. Kelly always one step ahead in reading the game which probably made him look quicker than he actually was.

PeteG

Also don't agree with blaming the st galls players, they were brought back early by Bradley after Antrim already suffered a league defeat even tho he had stated in the paper that they could have a break.  Think this was the first in a run of mistakes on his behalf. 

I believe bannside described part of the issue as "Third year syndrome ..."  tho personally I think this started well before this season.  Bradley continuously pushing tactics that haven't been working well since his first years success (sweeper, long balls in to the forward line etc) are taking their toll on the team. 

I wouldn't take away from him what he did for antrim football especially in the first year but think it was more the momentum from then that carried them into division 2 and that momentum now seems to have worn off.  The start of this season may have been the right time for a change in management.

imtommygunn

What are the general opinions on club football in antrim?

My view is that while our county team is performing much better than it has in years our club football is at a lower standard than it has been in years.

(This is nothing to do with county team either however it obviously impacts what we can pick)

múinteoirmór

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on March 21, 2011, 09:16:37 PM
Quote from: múinteoirmór on March 21, 2011, 08:52:06 AM
Looks like the possible demise of the idiot Bradley (Baker).   Looks like also, we re a hurling county again!!!!

I take it the fact that there is another thread where lads are disowning being you, should lead me and most people to consider you nothing but a WUM.  A WUM worthy of nothing but the silent treatment, but i'll indulge you and give you a response.

Baker Bradley has been the best thing that has happened Antrim football for a very long long time.

He took the job when no one else would touch it with a barge pole. And achieved a minor miracle by instilling confidence and self belief into a team that had next to none.

Antrim's achievements under Baker speaks for itself:

- Back to back promotions bringing Antrim from Division 4 to Division 2.
- Getting to the Ulster final in 2009 and going out of that same All Ireland in the qualifiers to the eventual winners, Kerry.
- 2010 were unfortunate to get the two toughest draws they possibly could have got when they met Tyrone in Ulster (eventual Ulster champs) and got Kildare (eventual All Ireland semi-finalists) in the first round of the qualifiers.
- Getting Kevin McGourty back in the Antrim fold

They are now in a Division that has nothing but quality opposition and staying up this year was always going to be tough but with the absence of a number of key players Mick McCann, James Loughrey, Sean Kelly and CJ they were always going to struggle as would any county without those sort of players.

No doubt this year's championship is going to be tough, Antrim would do very well to get past Donegal but there is no reason why they can't have a decent run in the back door.

I don't think after one league campaign where things haven't gone to plan, under difficult circumstances, that people should forget how much Antrim have developed under Baker.
Ah but, have we improved, have we won anything, are we winnign games that should have been won, Answer = No.  Kevin McGourty, a waste of time, has brought nothing to the party and is so full of himself.  Will baker choose to stay or will he be pushed, mark my words, lest just wait and see!!!!!!
We haven't gone away ya know!!!!  And just as long as we beat the Huns (Johns) Gerrys wee team!

imtommygunn

So explain how in 6 years we have not improved? What's your benchmark from 6 years ago we haven't got passed?

What games should we have won that we haven't won? (A game that we should win is not one where you say - ah it's Sligo sure they're not great and we can beat them. They beat us by 10 points)

Why are you bringing Kevin McGourty into it?

4father

Because he is a c**k and is seeking notoriety!

4father

We beat Donegal at Ballybofey.  Great performance v Kerry.  We've been promoted 2 years in a row - of course we have improved. 

We should ignore this idiot from here on in

loughshore lad

Whats wrong with Michael McCann?

Is he out with a long term injury?

CentreHalfBack

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 22, 2011, 04:19:38 PM
What are the general opinions on club football in antrim?

My view is that while our county team is performing much better than it has in years our club football is at a lower standard than it has been in years.

(This is nothing to do with county team either however it obviously impacts what we can pick)

+1

The panel at present is not strong enough to compete in this league. What players are having to compete for positions? What options do we have on the bench?
There are boys there who will never get on nevermind come on and influence a game.
New season - new reason

múinteoirmór

Quote from: 4father on March 22, 2011, 05:08:09 PM
We beat Donegal at Ballybofey.  Great performance v Kerry.  We've been promoted 2 years in a row - of course we have improved. 

We should ignore this idiot from here on in
NOW YOU ARE GETTING PERSONAL AGAIN!!!!!!
We haven't gone away ya know!!!!  And just as long as we beat the Huns (Johns) Gerrys wee team!

madmike

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2011, 10:38:30 PM
Gold, cue my response.

I think blaming the Galls lads for our drop (last year) in form is silly, possibly it would have something to do with management and their decision on playing them. Sean Kelly is not flashy and can out pace the McCanns, Colm Brady is not a flashy player also.

I pointed out also last year that a certain player made remarks about the Galls lads coming back into the panel, it showed up the division between the players.

Sean Kelly is a brilliant player for st galls, but he doesnt have the same bite at county level.kelly wouldnt out pace the mccanns, no where near tomas's pace, hes only back from injury and he still out paced half the sligo team for his goal and had men all over him. michael mccann is a huge miss for the county. colm brady has done it for st galls and county, good pace also and great maker, he doesnt need to be flashy. Cj is out which would of been a help to the team also.

but i think baker needs to be given a break, hes had half a team out for nearly the whole league. Cj, C Brady, Andy McC, M mccann, t mccann, kevin oboyle, justin crozier, a douglas thats only the ones on the top of my head. but my point is thats a large number missing out of a 25 man panel. its bound to be hard to pick a team out of that every week.

Gold

I wasnt blaiming St Galls men --was just stating that we havnt won many games since their return after they're all ireland. I wasnt saying they were flashy--was just saying the players on county team in 2010 before their return were not flashy.

There wa no doubt that it would be difficult to bring them back into a winning team at that stage. If ArmAGH were winning every week it would be difficult to bring 5 Cross men into the team without upsetting the rhythem and balance of the team.

In saying that though the St Galls men were great in 09 for the County and on Sunday past Brady was very good and Aidso and McGourty were good in spells. Kelly is awesome and we could do with him back.

It just doesnt seem like their is a team gameplan or maybe atmosphere. As stated previously no one was roaring each other on out there the other day. Whether thatss due to the management or the team i dont know but we have hit a plateau but shear will to win and togetherness could pull us through it.

Also Magill is a massive loss--everything kicked his way at start of 10 stuck --he hasnt been replaced --we look rudderless
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

Centre Half makes a point that our bench is very limited at senior level. Have to say I totally agree. We lose three or four players and all of a sudden we are rudderless or leaderless.

Why is this such a big surprise to everyone? When is the last time we won a minor or under 21 c`ship match?

I have said many times that to be sustainable at the highest level we need much better quality, focus and ambition from development squad and upwards. This has been sorely missing during the JMS years - to the extent I am genuinely petrified about our short and medium term at senior level.

Baker and Co lost their third consecutive u-21 c`ship match last week to a team that was hammered last night in the next round.The team that beat us didnt score from play until the 59th minute. Is anyone else picking up on this level of detail? This is the reality.

Jody didnt give a toss about u-21, and Baker made absolutely no impression in this sector either in three years.

We must be the only county in Ireland where some of our management team have three teams on the go at one time - a club management job, county under twenty-one, and inter county senior level.

Or maybe our senior county officers werent aware of this? Jesus wept! Sometimes we get what we deserve.

Gold

Quote from: bannside on March 24, 2011, 11:37:58 AM
Centre Half makes a point that our bench is very limited at senior level. Have to say I totally agree. We lose three or four players and all of a sudden we are rudderless or leaderless.

Why is this such a big surprise to everyone? When is the last time we won a minor or under 21 c`ship match?

I have said many times that to be sustainable at the highest level we need much better quality, focus and ambition from development squad and upwards. This has been sorely missing during the JMS years - to the extent I am genuinely petrified about our short and medium term at senior level.

Baker and Co lost their third consecutive u-21 c`ship match last week to a team that was hammered last night in the next round.The team that beat us didnt score from play until the 59th minute. Is anyone else picking up on this level of detail? This is the reality.

Jody didnt give a toss about u-21, and Baker made absolutely no impression in this sector either in three years.

We must be the only county in Ireland where some of our management team have three teams on the go at one time - a club management job, county under twenty-one, and inter county senior level.

Or maybe our senior county officers werent aware of this? Jesus wept! Sometimes we get what we deserve.

thought the same when readin the paper today--and we score f all against them in the last round.

No championship win at underage since either minor semi v armagh in 06 or maybe a later victory in u-21 v fermanagh--that may have been 08?

Before that would be v armagh in 03 in u-21

Before that would be the 2 minor sides that reached consecutive ulster finals in 97/98

Poor record
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."