Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: Heaneys Wish on July 01, 2010, 08:07:19 AM
My press sources have brought to my attention for you lads in Antrim. That a prominent duel Belfast club on the falls road was approached by a local sports gear supplier to put an advert on the wall that faces the falls road, the club chairman and also a prominent county official allegedly would only allow the advert to go up on the wall if it had his sons picture on it. ;D Well any truth in all this, must say it gave me a laugh. Jesus this takes the biscuit, does his lad play on the county team, checked back didn't see the name anywhere unless i have been given the wrong name!

tut tut

Carmen Stateside

Any word were in the states CJ is heading?

Trout

Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

CentreHalfBack

Facebook:

Cj Mcgourty boston abu.
14 hours ago · Comment · LikeUnlike
New season - new reason

The Worker

Quote from: CentreHalfBack on July 01, 2010, 01:27:10 PM
Facebook:

Cj Mcgourty boston abu.
14 hours ago · Comment · LikeUnlike

good man, one of his friends on facebook then go post the information on here!

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim unchanged for Saturday:

1.  S McGreevy (St. Paul's)

2.  A Healy (St Gall's)
3.  C Brady (St Gall's)
4.  J Crozier (Cargin)

5.  J Loughrey (St Brigid's)
6.  T Scullion (Cargin)
7.  K O'Boyle (Cargin)

8.  B Herron (Lamh Dhearg)
9.  A Gallagher (St Gall's)

10.  K McGourty (St Gall's)
11.  K Niblock (St Gall's)
12.  T McCann (Cargin)

13.  P Cunningham (Lamh Dhearg)
14.  M McCann (Cargin)
15.  K Brady (Moneyglass)

Sean Kelly and Michael Magill on the bench, CJ McGourty on the plane.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Milltown Row2

i dont think CJ has been fit lately, Baker has played him from the bench and he hasn't started too many games for St Galls.

if Magil is fit for the bench i'd start him.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Magil will start, he has to--antrim never kicked one ball into the full forward line last week, as there was no one to kick it to.

Magill's the sort of player who may struggle to be fit if not trainin flat out so i hope he's in good shape as he's our best ball winner and will be hard stopped if fit
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Northern Light

Another outstanding "team performance"!

Stats for the year,

Pre the "return" of the Club "champs" - 4 wins out of 5
Post the "return" of the Club "champs" - 1 win, 3 lost, 1 draw.

How many of the Club "champs" made it to the "last" match?

As the Yanks say, "Do the math"!

One year in Division 2, and then start again, from Div 3, or Div 4?

Quote from: Northern Light on July 04, 2010, 12:14:36 AM

Stats for the year,

I doubt even Antrim could manage to go down two divisions in one year!

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Northern Light on July 04, 2010, 12:14:36 AM

Stats for the year,

I think you should look at the oposition Antrim lost to after return off St Galls men. Sligo who are flying, Kildare and a top side in Tyrone. Sean Burke, CJ and McClean along with the 5 staters yesterday and Gallagher are all better than any other Antrim player IMO.

imtommygunn

Rubbish MDG. What about Crozier , Loughrey (especially who is a superb player), Paddy Cunningham, Michael McCann. St Galls have some cracking players but there are other ones there too and to be honest Loughrey would get on most teams about the country. Maybe you've been watching too much down football..

Don't know why you're even bothering replying to that other guy too! We need to change tactics - teams are sussing us out. That also has a big bearing.

NAG1

Though Antrim ran out of ideas very quickly in the game on Saturday evening. Didnt seem to be a plan A never mind B.

Brady was the only forward winning any possession but was then isolated and to far from goal to really hurt Kildare. I also noted that every single contact area Antrim were coming off second best, some being thrown around like rag dolls. This would have been well known and therefore the ball should have never been carried into contact, was coughed up too many times like that.

In saying that JL was clean through and turned down a great shooting (goal) opportunity for a pass to a player in a worse position. Antrim needed goals and that would have been a major boost at that stage.

bannside

Antrim football has had a long but unwanted longstanding reputation for being a nice wee team who try to walk the ball into the net. But it has been a long long time since I seen such emphasis on a short possession game that our management/players offered up on Saturday night. It was a return to the predictable old days that I thought we had left behind.

It was a display marked by countless lost posessions, and a gameplan that was never going to work against a team so athletically equipped to deal with our running style.

The whole thing came up short, badly short of what was targetted and trumped. A last eight, a top ten team in the country. Not nearly on that showing.

This post moved from main board:

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 04, 2010, 06:51:26 PM

have antrim beaten anyone of note?

Have kildare beaten anyone of note in championship football?

Quote from: imtommygunn on Today at 08:56:08 AM
Some people have asked who have we beat of significance. Maybe you should cast your mind back 2 years... Donegal, Cavan, rattling Kerry and drawing with Kildare is pretty big for antrim

Noone then?

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on Today at 11:45:12 AM
Baker is Antrim's most successful manager since about 1912.  Simple as that.

Better than the Ulster winning teams in the 40s?

===================================================================================
Given the standard of competiton these days...I'd say yes.  Up to 1950 none of Armagh, Derry, Tyrone, Down and Donegal had won Ulster.  In the 30s and 40s it was basically Cavan, then a good bit behind Monaghan and Antrim, then the rest