Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culchie11

bannside i like your enthusiasm, but i think we need to take it one step at a time!
i agree with all you said but we must get out of div 4 first and foremost, to be serious about doing anything like winning ulster championships!!
i would be more inclined looking to the long term rather than a quick fix!!
somebody talked about leitrim or kildare, what have they done since!!
went backwards in my opinion.
only my opinion like!

heard league fixtures are more or less ready to go!!

divisions 3,4,5 & 6 start 8th march.
divisions 1 & 2 start 19th april.
cut-off date is set at 25th october.

championship draws are to take place at end of month i think!!
12 teams in senior this year.
nine division one teams (glenavy int), ballymena, lamhs & gorts!!

haranguerer

Quote from: ONeill on January 08, 2009, 12:06:42 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 08, 2009, 11:10:26 AM

I'm aware this isn't the place to debate this, but briefly, Derry, Donegal, Fermanagh would beat monaghan 3 times out of 4, and Down would beat them 2 times out of 4. Losing valiantly to Kerry or Tyrone isn't an endorsement of a good team.

Really? I wouldn't agree. Monaghan defeated both Derry and Donegal in last year's championship. The year before they defeated Derry, Donegal and Down. Your opinion doesn't have any evidence of being credible. I think that in itself earns respect as a formidable side in that company.

I know people say the manner of victory doesn't matter, as long as there is victory, but I think there are factors which should be taken into account when deciding just how good a team are. Taking the derry victory this yr for eg; I dont think theres much doubt that they were utterly demoralised after aiming for Ulster, and being knocked out. Their sights weren't set on the qualifiers, nor monaghan. Had monaghan beaten fermanagh (who didn't play great and still played them off the park) and met Derry, I believe they'd have been well beaten by a better team.

Of course, we'll never know. My opinion is simply that Monaghan continue to be overrated, I'll say no more on the matter (here anyway!).

imtommygunn

Haranguerer both Monaghan and Derry would have been the same mindset - win ulster. They'd both have been at a low ebb last year.

I'd have thought that would leave them on a level playing field. So given that and the fact they beat derry the previous year you'd find it hard to argue that Derry were better than Monaghan.(league aside which don't matter)

Monaghan were in a position were they could have beaten Fermanagh, and I thought they would, until being deflated by a sucker goal.

To be honest to me Monaghan suffered in ulster from the same as derry did - believing their own hype. They've still a lot to prove but have proven much more than Derry or Donegal - and as much as Fermanagh - in the past 2 years.

bannside

A lot of performances during June and July really depend on the focus of the team.

Tyrone opted for a real high risk strategy when they "wobbled" a bit during Ulster. So much some critics thought MH had lost the plot.

Harte knew exactly the risk involved, and his entire optimum level was designed for mid September. The way Tyrone finished the AIF was truly amazing. They blew Kerry away in the last ten when the chips were down. This was no accident.

Last year Derry suffered because their focus was on the AI. The Ulster c`ship was only a stepping stone. After winning the NFL their focus was completely wrong, and they paid big time for their arrogance/cockiness. But Cassidy is a different animal.

Antrim have a clear focus this year. Promotion division four, and throw the kichen sink at Donegal on the fourth of June, in Ballybofey.

And build on from that next year to a position where we should be competitive against everyone, and capable of beating anyone on any given Sunday. Th only way is up.

Will back off a bit now. I take it the Doctor has got the message. Up Antrim.

culchie11

Antrim have a clear focus this year. Promotion division four, and throw the kichen sink at Donegal on the fourth of June, in Ballybofey.

And build on from that next year to a position where we should be competitive against everyone, and capable of beating anyone on any given Sunday. Th only way is up.

i was starting to think you had totally lost the plot, but you must have took your tablet!!
did the doc give you a free presciption, lol!!

haranguerer

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 08, 2009, 02:16:18 PM
Monaghan were in a position were they could have beaten Fermanagh, and I thought they would, until being deflated by a sucker goal.

Sorry, I was talking about the fermanagh v monaghan game in the ulster championship 2008. You're clearly not.

And monaghan had nearly 2 months to refocus their sights on the qualifiers Derry had 2/3 weeks

bannside

First of all I got a dose of reality, followed by a bitter pill to swallow.

No point in putting the roof on without the foundations, but neither have I made the case that we should!

Regardless of what the seniors win, or dont win, I would settle for real leadership around the whole vital area of underage development. I would like to see much more quality in terms of personnel, organisation, facilities, etc. A joined up approach.

I have consistently argued that I would forsake a year or two success at senior level - if we were to start getting it right at underage.

But I have no evidence to suggest this is any proper leadership in this area, or that there is any worthwhile level of accountability. Does anyone care that some of our development squads were a laughing stock last year.

Hey, Im not looking for perfection. But I would love to see a proper committment this year to get every age group going well. u-14, u-15, u-16, u-17, in both regions where appropriate.

Good managers, good coaches (with level one certificates, or better still level two) good communication, good facilities. And thoroughly checked and accountable. On a par with their peers throughout Ulster.

Now that I would settle for. Anything less is simply unacceptable. Thats what all those Ulster council grants were for.

imtommygunn

Haranguerer I thought Monaghan were coming back into that until Fermanagh got a lucky enough goal.

I forgot about the length of time between games however, I don't know, but I sense you're a Derry man clutching at a few straws too. Could be completely wrong there but just get that feeling.

Gold

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 08, 2009, 05:23:38 PM
Haranguerer I thought Monaghan were coming back into that until Fermanagh got a lucky enough goal.

I forgot about the length of time between games however, I don't know, but I sense you're a Derry man clutching at a few straws too. Could be completely wrong there but just get that feeling.

think its obvious Haranguerer is a Fermanagh man
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

Ok then I am wrong...

Monaghan I still say are better than Derry and on a par with Fermanagh.

Anyway, back to Antrim football. Bannside talking sense now so back to reality.

ExiledGael

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 08, 2009, 05:33:47 PM
Monaghan I still say are better than Monaghan

We'll give them that.

bannside

Thank God for that. Thought we were going to have to start a "who is better, Monaghan or Fermanagh thread?"

And some people think I go on a bit at tiimes........

haranguerer

Quote from: Gold on January 08, 2009, 05:29:36 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 08, 2009, 05:23:38 PM

think its obvious Haranguerer is a Fermanagh man

probably also obvious I'm close to the border with monaghan!!  :D

imtommygunn

Understandable - we feel the same way about derry  ;)

oakleaf stateside

im a derry man and i think antrim will do not to bad this year.bakers not a bad man to have. i think darell martin should get the call this year he is a power house
Dont Do It