Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Was at the Queens v Antrim game last night, entertaining game.  Queens, although I wouldn't say a lot fitter than Antrim, were certainly more organised and had a well thought out gameplan, whereas Antrim seemed to fly by the seat of their pants.  Antrim dominated MF with McGourty & Joe Quinn in good form, although I thought that Queens tried to intentionally bypass MF for most of the game.  The game's best player was Antrims #11 (McCann?), who looks to be an ideal CHF, but maybe a bit too similar in style to MCGourty, he gave Joe OKane a torrid time in the first half, but to be fair to O'Kane he turned it around a bit in the second half.  Best for Queens, probably Courtney & McComiskey, with hounourable mentions to Aodan Gallgher and Kevin Kelly (who were both strangely/tactically substituted).  I though the AOR/Bernie Murray management combo definitely delivered tactically on the night.

Gold

did antrim play Cross yesterday?

how did it go?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

ONeill

Decent debate on the Antrim side of the 40s going on in the Times this last couple of Sundays. Christy O'Connor claimed that Kerry's brutal savaging of Antrim's hand-passing game spelt he end of that approach until Down in the 60s. Some fella from Dublin replied this week that he is wrong. He claims that the Glens teams hated the fancy-dan hand-passing game of the city boys and managed to get it eventually outlawed for a while. Any views.

Must ask Buchanan. I'm sure he was starting out then.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

PlayWithTheWind

dropped

niall doyle
colin brady
decky o hagan
naill mc keever

left the panel

chriss kerr
conor mcgoldrick

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 22, 2008, 07:58:23 PM

Rossa - ?? was supposed to have been Tony Austin, but he is now going to Dungannon. Apparently, he near bit the hand off them when he was offered a decent package. 

;D
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

imtommygunn

We've heard who's out but who is in?

Anyone a list of the panel - any shock/surprise inclusions?

saffron sam2

Rossa - Brian White. Could he be the man to awaken this slumbering giant?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

rashCharacter

Anybody at the meeting in the comfort inn last night regarding the league structures etc.?

imtommygunn

ANTRIM NFL SQUAD

A McClean, J Loughrey, B Hasson, J Crozier,

C Close, A Gallagher, C Totton, M Pollock,

C Murray, K Brady, E O'Neill, G Crossey,

J Quinn, J Finucane, K McGourty, L Carland,

M Dougan, M Magill, M McCann, S Burke,

G Bell, P Close, P Conlon, P Doherty, S Kelly,

S McGreevy, S McVeigh, T O'Neill, T Convery,

T Scullion,T McCann, K Niblock,

P Cunningham, K O'Boyle.

n Squad is provisional

I know most of these boys - but who is Conlon? Has Gavin Bell not a broken leg?

ONeill

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 23, 2008, 07:33:16 PM
Rossa - Brian White. Could he be the man to awaken this slumbering giant?

I think Yash has packed it in.

Dunloy

Something strange is going on, i dont really understand that panel at all.

By going with 8 u21s on his senior squad is Jody saying that if you have made it by now you aint making it to anyone over the age of say 22?

Also as asked above who is this boy conlon? Im pretty well versed on footballers in the county and basically if i havent heard of you you couldnt kick back doors at halloween ;D ;D ;D ;D

Strange that Brady and Doyle arent there, didnt really think the other omissions were good enough

PlayWithTheWind

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 24, 2008, 11:02:22 AM

bell is back running with rossa and county
conlon is from tir na nog, stong and fit enough but useless on the ball

PlayWithTheWind

Quote from: PlayWithTheWind on January 24, 2008, 06:37:38 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 24, 2008, 11:02:22 AM

bell is back running with rossa and county
conlon is from tir na nog, stong and fit enough but useless on the ball

correction. paul conlon "P.C" is from gort na mona
was thinking of Totton, both alike - useless on the ball

Dunloy

Yeah now that you mention P.C i think i know who your talking about, and no sorry definately not of county standard. I think Jodys nuts? Totten is not up to the standard either but what do you do?

Other than hold open trials of course, a bit of the old swallowing the old pride and going after players wouldnt do any harm either ::) ::)

imtommygunn

Realistically though the best 15 in the county, CJ aside, would come from that bunch.

I'm disappointed that Colm Brady isn't in the panel as he's good cover or even a good option at corner back. We played Close, Doherty and Loughrey in the full back line against Wicklow and to be honest you could argue for every one of them being a forward rather than in the full back line so we are obviously struggling in there.(Loughrey wing forward for club, Close CHF and Doherty I've seen at FF a few times though I know he has moved back a bit in recent years). Hopefully Kevin O'Boyle will be a good option there too though.

Niall Doyle , who perhaps merits inclusion, wouldn't realistically get on the best 15.

What's Crossey like? Totten and Conlon would be the other two I don't know about but people have already discussed their "merits"...

Tony Convery is still there at 28/29 and Quinn / Brady still in there along with McGreevey so obviosuly not going completely for youth. Only one Portglenone man too - they usually have a higher count and with a county final you'd have expected more.

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on January 24, 2008, 04:06:16 PM
Rumour is that Yash is giving it one more year at the edge of the square. His brother, Bap, talked him back.

As I said a couple of years ago - there is no better sight than seeing Yash steamrolling is way towards goal, burying ball, fullback, keeper and one of the umpires in the back of the net.

I'd say this is the year Gormley's tenure will be at make-or-break juncture. Another year struggling in division 4 will not suffice.

Sunday, February 3rd: Away to Wicklow.- Toughest start possible. Defeat.
Saturday, February 9th: At home to Kilkenny in Casement Park, Belfast under lights. - Big win
Sunday, February 16th: Away to Clare - draw
Saturday, March 1st: Offaly at home under lights at Casement Park, Belfast. - defeat
Saturday, March 15th: At home to Carlow at Casement Park, Belfast. - Win
Sunday, March 30th: Away to London in Ruislip. - Win
Sunday, April 6th: Away to Tipperary. - Win
Sunday, April 20th: At home to Waterford at Casement Park, Belfast. Win

P8 W5 D1 L2

Probably won't be enough to edge Wicklow and Offaly. Offaly in Casement is the big one.